Playa food for the extremely lazy?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 am

LindseyRaeFace wrote:A guy gave us clif bars last year "They're kind of a commitment" he said... They saved us! Keep them in the cool place so the chocolate doesnt melt but they are great ang vegan. :) Like a grown up chewy bar!

PB&J works, if you dont mind not cooling your Jelly.
Chips & Salsa was AMAZING! The Salsa felt cold all week even though we didnt have ice. YUMMMM :)
V8 for salt and vitamins, great when youre hung over
We loved the Boost nutritional drinks in the morning, better chilled, but a cool shot of vitamins and protein in the hot mornings is perfect, especially if you partied teh night before.
Canned soup with pop top lids, leave it on your dash or on top of a car, somehwhere in the sun for the day, hot soup for dinner :)

Gonna try applesauce this year, Simplay Asia noodle bowls (in the sun, oh yeah), chili made at home too. Hope they go good!

V8 and Powerbars go a long way in keeping me alive. I often have a couple of Powerbars in a Camelbak or bike messenger bag. They keep forever (or at least long enough) and do OK in the heat, although they get sort of soft. One down side is the non-recyclable wrapper and they can be sticky.

V8 can be left on a counter or table for a couple of days but I don't know about how well it will hold up in the desert. I'm doing my best to not bring a cooler for space and cost reasons. I can drink warm water/Gatorade, it doesn't bother me.

I think I may be forced to bring a small cooler, but for now I'm trying to plan around not having one.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Playa food for the extremely lazy?

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 8:52 am

yellowpants wrote:Sorry if this topic has already been done, but I'm way too lazy to search.

Hi there!

I kinda suck at feeding myself when on the playa. So this time I decided to organize my shit a little bit. With your help.

Help me decide what kind of food to bring. It has to meet the following requirements:

1) No cooking (no time for that)
2) No ice (way too complicated)
3) Somewhat healthy (trying to avoid sugar and processed food if possible)
4) Some variety (eating canned tuna all week gets boring)

My ideas for now:

- oranges (is it true those last in the heat?)
- granola bars
- canned fish
- powder milk
- dehydrated fruit
- nuts

Any other ideas? What kind of fruits and raw veggies last on the playa?

Thanks!

What about powdered Gatorade or Elixir or some other electrolyte? If you make Gatorade a little weak, it's not too syrupy. Humans can go days without eating and do just fine, but water is a different story. If you have a sugar and electrolyte mix it should keep you feeling strong all day.

Maybe have a PB&J and/or dried stuff, you should be strong like bull. If you use a better quality natural peanut butter or jam, you'll be a little healthier.

Oranges will probably do fine in the shade but they will have MOOP or skinky rinds (Maybe it's just me, but I cant stand how peeled oranges smell).

My opinion here is based on how I do in 100 degree heat all day riding my bike or hiking in the semi-arid San Antonio-Austin climate, but a whole week in high desert climate will be a different story.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby moonrise » Mon May 09, 2011 9:51 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
yellowpants wrote:Sorry if this topic has already been done, but I'm way too lazy to search.

Hi there!

I kinda suck at feeding myself when on the playa. So this time I decided to organize my shit a little bit. With your help.

Help me decide what kind of food to bring. It has to meet the following requirements:

My ideas for now:

- granola bars
- canned fish
- powder milk
- dehydrated fruit
- nuts

Thanks!

What about powdered Gatorade or Elixir or some other electrolyte? If you make Gatorade a little weak, it's not too syrupy. Humans can go days without eating and do just fine, but water is a different story. If you have a sugar and electrolyte mix it should keep you feeling strong all day.

Maybe have a PB&J and/or dried stuff, you should be strong like bull. If you use a better quality natural peanut butter or jam, you'll be a little healthier.

Oranges will probably do fine in the shade but they will have MOOP or skinky rinds (Maybe it's just me, but I cant stand how peeled oranges smell).

My opinion here is based on how I do in 100 degree heat all day riding my bike or hiking in the semi-arid San Antonio-Austin climate, but a whole week in high desert climate will be a different story.

Vitalyte is popular. I'm going to try that this year, Gatorade seems to give me muscle cramps (see C.f.M.'s blog)

Tuna in foil packs; no water or oil to contend with, yay! (available in a few good flavors)

granola, soup and see above, LOL
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 am

Tuna in packets with triscuits and mustard is a popular afternoon power snack for us.

I'm a fan of coucous with raisins and canned chicken for a hot meal. All you need is boiling water and a disposable container. We then seal the container after wiping it out, and take it home to wash. Three or four containers do us for the whole week. Maybe I should prepack the containers with the couscous and raisins?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Mon May 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Ditto on the Powerbars, plus tequila & Snap-E-Tom.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bluemandrew » Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Cans of chef boyardee and beanie weenies heat up nicely on their own, or if you really don't care just eat them cold...
Bluemandrew

Postby Packoderm » Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Packoderm

Postby kitkatseattle » Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 pm

moonrise wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:

Hi there!

My ideas for now:

- granola bars
- canned fish
- powder milk
- dehydrated fruit
- nuts

Thanks!

Vitalyte is popular. I'm going to try that this year, Gatorade seems to give me muscle cramps (see C.f.M.'s blog)

Tuna in foil packs; no water or oil to contend with, yay! (available in a few good flavors)

granola, soup and see above, LOL

I found this Ultima Replenisher powder at Super Supplements which makes an electrolyte drink. It was grape flavored which was super resheshing and tasty on the playa. I would have my camelbak with water and would attach a metal water bottle with this grape goodness when I went out for the day.
kitkatseattle

Postby graidawg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:05 am

A lot of the stuff on here will mean nothing to the English folks who haven't been out to America before.

the 2 years i have been I found the precooked bacon (and a boiled egg) pretty much did me for the day (with beer and bloody marys for vitamins and stuff) Jerky put in a noodle bowl sometimes in the afternoon - if you really dont want to cook at all (like boil water) then jerky, and soup in the sun will do it.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby PL_FL » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 am

I'm thinking one good meal a day, just boil some water (http://www.mountainhouse.com/). Then PBJ etc the rest of the time?
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Burning Since: 2013

Postby TT120 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:24 am

Mountain House foods are really good. There is also Backpackers Pantry stuff. Also very good with a little different variety.

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Is there any sort of playa food for the moderately lazy? How about the merely incompetent?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Is there any sort of playa food for the moderately lazy? How about the merely incompetent?

The moderately lazy love this one. I'm all over it. :lol:

Realistic non cooler based menu planning
viewtopic.php?f=276&t=35430

I like to cook in the default world, but on the playa all I'm thinking of is adequate nutrition, internal comfort, and ease.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Re:

Postby EnergyFiend » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Boijoy wrote:Jerkey & PBR.

This will be my second time at BM and speaking of BM's, how do you veterans get enough fiber on the playa?? I'm also one of the lazy no-cookers and pretty much hate veggies, but I'm open to ideas. Last year I took fiber supplements when I remembered, did the instant extra-fiber oatmeal w/powdered milk for breakfast (had access to an electric kettle), ate peanut butter on Triscuits. But still, with even mild dehydration, you can get, er, unregular. :oops: The meat & cheese being handed to you on every corner doesn't help this problem. (helps everything else! :D)

Also - I 2nd the foil Indian food packets with those rice packets (90 seconds in the microwave kind). In the sun neither needed cooking. Hearty soups heated by the sun. Raman noodles if you have the electric kettle (did the extra lazy burnable paper bowls w/ burnable chopsticks). The one time I cooked on a camp stove I mixed: a can of corn, a can of black beans, instant mexican rice packet, and a jar of salsa - named it Mexican Mess. Delicious, easy, and shareable! It's not terrible cold too, eaten with chips.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." ~Jimi Hendrix
EnergyFiend

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Re:

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 pm

EnergyFiend wrote:
Boijoy wrote:Jerkey & PBR.

This will be my second time at BM and speaking of BM's, how do you veterans get enough fiber on the playa?? I'm also one of the lazy no-cookers and pretty much hate veggies, but I'm open to ideas. Last year I took fiber supplements when I remembered, did the instant extra-fiber oatmeal w/powdered milk for breakfast (had access to an electric kettle), ate peanut butter on Triscuits. But still, with even mild dehydration, you can get, er, unregular. :oops: The meat & cheese being handed to you on every corner doesn't help this problem. (helps everything else! :D)

Fruit. :) The lazy way: Bring a bag of dried cherries, at least 2 four-packs of fruit cups (peaches, pears, mixed fruit--whatever) and some 100% juice boxes. (I'll bet those orange-essence pitted prunes probably help a lot too, and are probably cheaper than cherries.) Chill the fruit cups if you have a cooler. Eat a little handful of the cherries and a fruit cup every day; get some juice, stay really hydrated with electrolytes and you may be more comfortable.

The dry atmosphere, the break in routine, eating less, and having to use portapotties can definitely throw one's body off-kilter.

Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:06 pm

100% Coconut water! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby delle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm

moonrise wrote:What about powdered Gatorade or Elixir or some other electrolyte? If you make Gatorade a little weak, it's not too syrupy. Humans can go days without eating and do just fine, but water is a different story. If you have a sugar and electrolyte mix it should keep you feeling strong all day.

Careful with this one: IT'S A TRAP!!!

I still require the occasional vodka and gatorade with ice in a thermos.... much to my swanky friends' dismay.

Nothing makes me smile more than memories of moments with that particular mix in my hand.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby PocoJoe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Canned Peas
Canned Corn
Canned Pineapple
Canned Green Beans
Canned ...

There is a trend here. I find canned foods to be the most underrated value out there.
As they are all precooked you can eat them right out of the can. Don't forget a GOOD can opener.

PocoJoe
"Everything works if you let it" -- Travis W. Redfish
73 de PocoJoe KI7WV
PocoJoe

Postby Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:54 pm

couscous is great, just add hot (or even warm) water.

Leave water out in the sun for the day in a steel or aluminum container.

Pout hot water on couscous, 3 minutes later you have warm soft little balls.

Add whatever you like to the mix, jerky, foil packet of tuna\salmon, bacon, nuts.
Eddie

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 am

Eddie wrote:Pout hot water on couscous, 3 minutes later you have warm soft little balls.

Sounds painful.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm

1. Cheez Whiz.
2. Pringles.

There you go.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Oldguy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Soup in a box heats quicker in the sun than canned soup in a can. You can drink it straight from the spout, no dishes...plus it is liquid so you do not have to chew...
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Last burn, I scored a TON of ENSURE. I nearly lived off of that.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Last burn, I scored a TON of ENSURE. I nearly lived off of that.

I had 4 Carnation Instant Breakfasts with me, chilled, and I think I will double that number. They were pleasant. Still bringing cereal and milk, though . . .

Savannah

Postby BBadger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 am

Savannah wrote:I had 4 Carnation Instant Breakfasts with me, chilled, and I think I will double that number. They were pleasant. Still bringing cereal and milk, though . . .

Those are great! I literally had one every day as my breakfast before heading to school in the morning in grade school. I only wish they still had the mocha variety.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby pink » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:31 am

I forgot about those things! Should go well with the bacon-wrapped everything we Retrofrolickers get most mornings. Got to remember to pop a few in the fridge.

Boxed soy/almond/rice milk is good too. Especially chocolate flavor.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby moonrise » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:43 am

I forgot to mention a box of fresh red delicious apples seem to last me all week :) cut up with raisins on granola for breakfast.... Mmmmm Mmmmmmm! :lol:

Btw, the watermelon flavored vitalyte (with extra vitamin B, tastes like posion IMHO, blech!) The orange and citrus and grape are good flavors (haven't tried fruit punch, yet).
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Mojojita » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm

I just saw pre-made, canned mac and cheese at Kmart, so I bought a can to try. Here in my office it's pretty bad, but on the playa could be delicious. Would be lots better with bacon bits stirred in as it mostly just lacks enough flavor.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Garlic powder and pepper might help . . . although it's hard to imagine canned mac and cheese being salvageable. (This from a girl who has no problem with the cheap, boxed kind :lol: ).

I think many people omit spices from their Burn kitchens, but I can't do without salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne.

Savannah

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Savannah wrote:Garlic powder and pepper might help . . . although it's hard to imagine canned mac and cheese being salvageable. (This from a girl who has no problem with the cheap, boxed kind :lol: ).

Hmmm, now you have me thinking..... shelf-stable milk..... the individually wrapped butter packets I borrow from the one Reno buffet I allow myself each year..... a little flour... I couldn't go 2 days, let alone 7, without my RDA of cheese (and usually have an assortment)..... they sell 3 minute (par-cooked) pasta...... seasoning...... to panko or not to panko, that is the question. I bet it would hit the spot (along with the mashed).

Mods feel free to move this to the "Playa food for the moderately ambitious" thread.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink