Monkey Hut question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Monkey Hut question

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:56 am

Riv wrote:OK, more monkey hut questions!
2) For the ribs, is continuing to use gaffer tape to keep the connectors from slipping? It seems to me that the tension should mostly hold them in place anyway...

The best way is to run a screw into the 2' connectors at the halfway point. No taping needed then because they will not be able to slide past the screw.
Riv wrote:OK, more monkey hut questions!
3) The original MH instructions about the bungee cords seem like they might cause some amount of skew with the flexible inner tube connections. Any suggestions for better ways to hold the spine together? Or will bungee cords still work well in this setup?

The spine bungees are designed to keep the socketed parts in the original design from pulling apart. Since your design uses no sockets they would likely create some issues.
Riv wrote:5) How much guying out/staking down is a good idea and how much will it compromise the whole "flexes instead of breaking" aspect? I'm looking at using either one or two guylines run all the way through the spine and staked at both ends.

I would consider running a rope through your spine and guying down the ends.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Pozer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 am

Since this thread has been quiet for a year, I thought I would re-start the fun with a question. :coffee: My apologies if it is answered elsewhere...I really did look before posting.

I want to go with LoveMonkey's design http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/ but I need slightly more space - ideally shooting for something along the lines of 15 x 15 (with about 7' of height) rather than the 10 x 12 in LM's design. My tent has a 9x14 footprint, and I prefer to put the entire thing inside the MH rather than going the shade flap route.

How much length do I need to add to the ribs to increase the width of the MH to 15'? And, how far apart should the ends be situated to maintain height at about 7 feet?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
"In wisdom gathered over time, I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." --Ansel Adams
Pozer

Burning Since: 2014

Postby BeeWeeDee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 am

The MH ribs are typically thought of as a semi-circle. With a diameter of 15' the total rib length from re-bar to rebar would be about 24 feet. This is 4' longer than the ribs for the 10X12 design.
"The monkey's off my back, but the circus is still in town" - George Carlin
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby oly14 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:20 pm

I built a 14' x 24' MH last year using 24' ribs to 'garage' a Ford E250 van. The van is ~7' tall and easily fit inside. Remember, MH ribs don't form a perfect circle, they kind of flatten at the top. You may be able to get away with 24' ribs with the ends 15' apart. I needed an overall height greater than 7' because I had to fit a 'box' inside. Before I bought and cut all the pipes, I built one rib, drove some rebar into my lawn and put it up to see how tall it was. I didn't want to buy all the pipe and build the thing only to find out the van wouldn't fit. :shock: If you want me to try a 15' opening with the parts I have to figure out how tall it is, let me know.
oly14

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Nada Camp

Postby Pozer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:24 am

oly14 wrote:If you want me to try a 15' opening with the parts I have to figure out how tall it is, let me know.

Thanks a million for the offer, Oly! I found this design http://galaxybeing.com/galaxyhut/ that says it provides 7 feet of clearance and looks like it will do the trick. The ribs are 24' with the ends placed 14' apart. I will probably take your suggestion to build one rib in the back yard to confirm height, but I think my tent my be a little more forgiving than an E250 if I am an inch or so off. :lol:
"In wisdom gathered over time, I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." --Ansel Adams
Pozer

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Fan C » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:56 pm

We use a hut based largely on the galaxy hut. 30"x 14" Our guy line ties each section to the next along the spine. This holds the entire thing together and eliminated any spine tubes falling out of place. I plan to do the same along the spine of a carport this year too.
Fan C

Camp Name: live fast die

Postby C187 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Google is kicking up odd stuff, so I'm just going to ask my question here.

Right now I can only find medium duty tarps in the size I need (I'm building the GalaxyHut version). Would I be fine with a medium duty, or must I find a heavy duty one?

On the shade set-up I've been using I've had smaller tarps of both types as part of the set-up with out issue. But I figured it would be better to ask people who know.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby oly14 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:39 pm

A medium duty tarp might be OK until, well, it isn't. I bought a super heavy duty from tarpsupply.com for my monkey hut when I built it last year. I didn't want to take the chance that my tarp would shred in high winds.
oly14

Camp Name: Nada Camp

Postby Fan C » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Medium duty would probably be okay since once assembled the whole thing rocks as one unit.
Fan C

Camp Name: live fast die

Postby conundrum » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:02 pm

How do you secure your tarp to the playa? I think having some clearance for air flow may be nice. I was thinking of doing a running rig by winding a paracord through the grommets, secured to the front and back rib. Would I stake off between each grommet pair? Or just every once in a while? Should I loop a short bungee or bungee ball through the cord and stake that or just stake the cord itself? Or am I overthinking this and should just stake each grommet directly to the ground?
conundrum

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 pm

conundrum wrote:How do you secure your tarp to the playa? I think having some clearance for air flow may be nice. I was thinking of doing a running rig by winding a paracord through the grommets, secured to the front and back rib. Would I stake off between each grommet pair? Or just every once in a while? Should I loop a short bungee or bungee ball through the cord and stake that or just stake the cord itself? Or am I overthinking this and should just stake each grommet directly to the ground?

My first time I ran a rope through the side grommets and used a bungee to attach it to a stake at the center of each side.

Since then I no longer attach the tarp to anything but the end poles (with bungee balls). I do use a ratchet strap on each end of the ridge pole to secure the hut to the ground and have not had any problems with securing the tarp only to the end poles.

I use the standard Lovemonkey hut design - if using a different design ymmv.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping