Work in Progress 2013

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Work in Progress 2013

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

You are so very welcome Yggy. and a great big thank you for sharing your special place on the mountain there. Sadie and I had such a grand time. If you see Looney Tunes give him a big old hug from us too :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Looking good!
gyre

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 949 times

Been working on this the past couple of days and its close
to being done. I pulled it behind my trike shortly
yesterday but empty. Adding the hitch and seat mesh added some weight to it.
I hope to hook it up in a day or two and will find out if its too heavy then.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Nice work, Martian! Padding good, padding very good :)

Here's a video of the Bucket-O-Fire from a few posts back. Turn up the volume to hear the soothing bubbles...
[media]
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks Foxfur!
Were you saying padding about the mesh seat?
I have foam and material to make some cushions for it.

I love your bubble-fire! It is very soothing.
Got a good chuckle out of whats written on your propane tank, too!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Ah yes, I rode a tall bike (a triple mini!) for the first time in 2011. Desert Duck was all likkered up and dragged me out of the Booby Bar saying he'd teach me to ride it in two minutes. Turns out he was right.
I asked if I could ride around on it. 4 hours later I returned. The seat was a taint-buster, hard plastic.
I woke up the next morning sore as hell. I climbed out of my trailer and said to my camp mates,
"I made a poor decision last night and gawd how my ass hurts..."
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:57 pm

:lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Martiansky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:52 am

Foxfur wrote:Ah yes, I rode a tall bike (a triple mini!) for the first time in 2011. Desert Duck was all likkered up and dragged me out of the Booby Bar saying he'd teach me to ride it in two minutes. Turns out he was right.
I asked if I could ride around on it. 4 hours later I returned. The seat was a taint-buster, hard plastic.
I woke up the next morning sore as hell. I climbed out of my trailer and said to my camp mates,
"I made a poor decision last night and gawd how my ass hurts..."

Oh what a good thing that I wasn't drinking coffee at the moment I read that last line! Would've been cleaning coffee off my computer! :lol:
Martiansky

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:25 am

I whipped up a starburst fan rack for 44mm Excalibur shells. I've nicknamed it The Hedgehog.
Each 24-shell set comes with 4 heavy duty HDPE tubes. I trimmed a little of the sides of the bases on 4 of them and cleverly arranged them to fit. Then I cut a 12" x 12" piece of marine grade plywood and placed it under the crate, drilled pilot holes with a 3/16" x 16" bit, and fastened them with deck screws. I have some quickmatch left from the show Espressodude, Helga, and I shot in Hermiston last 4th. Using it to match the 9 shells to fire simultaneously. I don't think it will blow up...
In professional shows we have to keep all tubes pointing away from the audiences but private shows? Private shows aren't constrained by such poppycock.
Keep Independence Day Potentially Fatal.

fan rack 01.jpg

fan rack 02.jpg

In YAY! we trust,
Foxfur
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Be sure to post tomorrow, so we'll know that you still have at least one finger. :D

Savannah

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 am

*ahem*

Savannah wrote:Be sure to post tomorrow, so we'll know that you still have at least one finger. :D

Yeah. How many fingers left? :D
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Here's a concept shot… I wanted to show the panel art design on the face of the ziggurat panel. Unfortunately, updating the entire model would require a lot more time and effort than I want to spend on that right now, but this pic shows what the panel will look like.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Looking good, Trilo! Here is what I have been doing today:

Carving flip-flops. Planning to leave a trace that leaves no trace. 8)

Expecting much nicer results from playa dust than I can get with King Arthur flour, in my kitchen.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 pm

OOooh! OOooh! I want a pair!

Wait.

Sorry.

I don't.

Or, I do, but in such an impossible way as to make it truly impossible.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:14 pm

get you some wheels like these, fishy. then frumify them. Awesome MDF. straight up awesome!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Brilliant!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:34 pm

That's awesome, MDF!

Fishy, you could also put a pair of Frummy sandals on sticks and stamp 'em into the playa periodically, all bigfoot-hoaxer style. :D

The problems with monkey puzzles (PUZZLES, Fishy, not pizzas... though dammit now I want a pizza)... is there are monkeys.

I'd previously gotten a 3d modeled version of a panel with art on it done in C4D, but determined that in order to update my camp model it would require re-making all the pieces and then re-assembling the ziggurat (again), as well as the wall displays, curio cabinets, and stairs. But I really wanted to have something that showed the cuneiform details. After liberal application of vodka and vicious chemicals, I appear to have come up with a workable solution. In a way, it's a cheat. I've completely remade a handful of the panels that have the most changes and visible details. On the rest, I was able to figure out a way to swap textures - it's still tedious (hundreds of parts), but workable. I'm rendering out a new set of stills now.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Brilliant - love it all.

It is indeed wet on playa - wetter than usual.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Bucket-O-Fire v3.0 (The Burn Unit Remix)
BoF composite 03.jpg

One minute you're sitting around a cozy little fire, the next you're running around on fire.
It's actually somewhat safe. I sit 2 1/2 feet away and haven't caught fire yet.
I made a micro-poofer using an ether injector valve from a 5-ton ammo carrier (ether comes in can with threads and valve identical to propane), braided stainless hose from a water-jet cutter, and Swagelok compression fittings from a scrapped Intel semiconductor stuff making machine.

BoFv3 techview 02.jpg

The poofer nozzle sits flush with the top of the rocks and uses the flames as a pilot. It almost always ignites and never blows out the fire.
When it doesn't ignite you get a good whiff of raw propane, kind of a bonus feature if you ask me.
You're sitting around, warming up with the mellow flames, listening to the soothing and chakra realigning bubbling sounds and suddenly BAM! Namaste motherfucker!

I'm taking it to our regional burn this weekend to do some psychological testing :roll:
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:56 pm

IT'S.......JUST.......SO.....BEUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 pm

I dig those crazy flip-flops. :lol:

*snap* *snap*

Savannah

Postby Foxfur » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

BoFv3 techview 03.jpg
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Martiansky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Foxfur....those rocks are really .......COOL LOOKING!
Are they personal finds?
Martiansky

Postby Krokodyle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 pm

These projects are neat as hell. I dig those flip-flops! :D
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Lots of things going on this weekend. Painting ziggurat parts, working on other art projects, and then getting the chance to work with the production class laser for the first time. It's a lot more persnickety than was indicated in the training and certification class I'd taken, but I'm getting it sorted out and optimized for what I need to use it for. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get all the time I wanted on it tonight, so I'll have to go back to my workshop place tomorrow for a few more hours on that project. I also got around to doing my annual generator maintenance. It was running pretty well, but gave it a good going over anyways. Starts and runs just like new, after several trips to the playa, woohoo. Now to get back to painting (well, dinner and drinks, then more painting). While all that's happening, I've got my primary computer cranking through a render. It's in high quality mode, so that'll take a couple days - hopefully done and ready by Tuesday, then on to the next shot :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:55 am

Martiansky wrote:Foxfur....those rocks are really .......COOL LOOKING!
Are they personal finds?

Yep! Picked them out of the sluicebox while gold mining in 2010. The green ones are nickel ore.

And damn, Trilo, you're out there using lasers and building ziggurats and I'm here making buckets of rocks and fire. I'm gonna do your kind of stuff when I grow up!

I went to our regional, SOAK, last weekend. There was a couple from Denmark, a guy from the Netherlands, and even a few from Oregon :lol:
I brought 5 large propane tanks, a half dozen small cylinders, the large poofer, the Bucket-O-Rocks (smash hit!), the Happy Shiny Flamethrower, etc.
While out there I whipped up a new toy, the Portapoofer, using a self igniting torch, a metering valve, 2 propane cylinders, and stainless compression fittings, hose, and tubing.
It took 10 minutes from conception to creation using parts I had lying around in the truck. A five year old girl followed me around giggling and yelling "I Love Fire!"...
It shoots 2 - 3 feet with gas and 7 - 10 feet when the poof supply cylinder is inverted and feeding liquid to the poofer tube.

Portapoofer.jpg

pptech01.jpg

pptech02.jpg

You can see the poofer nozzle alongside the torch tip. The poofer nozzle is a safety tip from a compressed air blowgun (safety is rad).

Oh what fun!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Porta-poofer... I love it! You've gotta bring some of that by when you come visit this year. I've got a campmate who's got a personal flamethrower (she'll be using it to make s'mores, of course) that would probably be drooling and very inspired, plus I understand we'll also have ACME camp as neighbors. MoltenSteelMan and company, coming from your neck of the woods. They're leaving the walking beast at home, but will be bringing several new small fire gadgets.

The rocks looked really cool, I was wondering if any of them had the magic properties of affecting the color of the flame, as well as just looking awesome.

I've been keeping most of my project photobombing confined to my camp thread. I love Work In Progress (one of my favorite threads on the board), but didn't want all the pics I was posting to take any of the spotlight away from any of the other great on and off playa projects people get up to.

Pandorra's finished 3D printing the parts and pieces of a washing-up station she wanted to make for our camp kitchen. It's really impressive stuff, if I can't get her to come onto the board to post it I'll see if she'll send me her pics so I can post on her behalf. Other than that, most of the work has been with painting and clear-coating. I had some time on one of the production lasers for a non-playa project, but to get more acclimated to the bigger, badder beastie I spent a few hours working on an art piece to go on one of the curio carts in front of the Ziggurat. And while I was busy with brushes, I had my machine working hard on rendering a few more shots for another video clip. When she was setting up the fundraiser thing, my gf was reading in the instructions and tips on their site and they suggested posting occasional updates... so I'll try and get another one of those done up for her.

It's kind of strange - I'm mostly used to using that kind of technology for pre-visualizing ideas. So I mostly only fool around with a design to either just make sure my design/math will work, or to explain the concept to people I'm collaborating with. Then from there, it never goes any further.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:24 pm

well, I came up with a way to get the camper high enough to put on the truck, for Frankencamper re-animation:

made a cross bar, bolted and into the frame, and to the jack lifting points,
DSCN1233.jpg

I use a 4x4, as a spreader, so the lift at the corners is straight up, just like if it were using jacks:
DSCN1234.jpg

I had to switch to a handle operated chain hoist, as one of my chain-fall hoists broke

raised it 6' to allow the truck to back under
DSCN1232.jpg
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:27 pm

only real "uh oh" was when the camper shifted a foot to the right while I was 14' in the air on a ladder, working the handle chain hoist.

backing the truck under, and, jockeying for alignment:
DSCN1237.jpg
Attachments
DSCN1238.jpg
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm

Wow Yggy, way to leave us hanging! 8)

MyDearFriend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion