Inverters

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Inverters

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 pm

OK, so I'm gonna buy a sine wave inverter for my MV. I want at least 1000 watts continuous. I've been researching a bit... found some attractively-priced units from Powershine and AIMS, but the reviews on such units are the same as cheap gas generators - they suck ass. They fail, they generate tons of RF noise, etc.
It looks like the Xantrex is the "Honda EU" of inverters, pricey but superior. A 1000-watt Xantrex is gonna cost me around $700... more than I wanted to spend, but I'd rather spend $$ on good stuff than waste $$ on junk.

Anyone got any first-hand with this?
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Re: Inverters

Postby mulch » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 pm

I have a Xantrex inverter/charger that runs great and has for years. It's bigger than you mention but we run any electronics on it including one 14k AC. The bigger inverters get hot and need ventilation I can vouch at least for the RS 3000 that I have.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:OK, so I'm gonna buy a sine wave inverter for my MV. I want at least 1000 watts continuous. I've been researching a bit... found some attractively-priced units from Powershine and AIMS, but the reviews on such units are the same as cheap gas generators - they suck ass. They fail, they generate tons of RF noise, etc.
It looks like the Xantrex is the "Honda EU" of inverters, pricey but superior. A 1000-watt Xantrex is gonna cost me around $700... more than I wanted to spend, but I'd rather spend $$ on good stuff than waste $$ on junk.

Anyone got any first-hand with this?

at that point, why not buy an eu2k Honda gennie? quiet, mount it out of the way and boom, more power, no dinking around.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Probably too late for this year, but recycle a higher-end UPS and disable the buzzer/beeper?
Should have a very clean output (clean enough for computer electronics & communications gear).
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Token » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Canoe wrote:Probably too late for this year, but recycle a higher-end UPS and disable the buzzer/beeper?
Should have a very clean output (clean enough for computer electronics & communications gear).

Duty cycle on those is often not 100%.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Outback makes some sealed ones, even more expensive though. Xantrax is a great product I have used in 5kW projects, and actually nicely priced, but not sealed. Most inverters have a fan, so fall into the electronics destroyed by dust category which has been discussed extensively. Maybe keep an eye out on Craigslist. They are used for boats, solar off grid, RV's, military but sealed are a rare item. Maybe mount in a large relatively closed minimally dusty space that doesn't overheat? The bilge?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:47 am

Token wrote:
Canoe wrote:...recycle a higher-end UPS...

Duty cycle on those is often not 100%.

Depends. If they condition the power, over/under voltage correction, usually two power sources: line mains & batteries. Makes them power hogs running on line mains but they're usually for commercial uses, smaller ones rack mounted.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:21 am

I already have three Honda EU generators... two 2000s and a 1000 and they are great, I used to use one on the MV but since the MVs engine is already running I mounted two alternators, a pair of extra deep cycle 115 ah batteries, and an inverter and it's much nicer than having to have the Honda running. It just magically always has power.
I do have it in a relatively protected cabinet and my old inverter didn't get very dusty at all, and doesn't look like it's been to the playa.

But it was a cheap-ass square wave that makes the LED lighting flicker and not achieve full brightness, has a hard time starting the fluorescents, and sucks for other stuff too.

I'm looking at the Xantrex PosSine 1000, I can get it for just over $600, but I know there are a lot of burners who have lots of experience with these things and can tell me if my Internet research has pointed me toward the "good" unit.
I don't have unlimited cash but I don't wanna throw money away on junk either.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 am

When doing research for an inverter, I checked trucker forums to find something reliable.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mulch » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:13 pm

also, if the only thing that you want to run that you cant run are the LED lights, if they are not too high amperage, you might try getting a UPS that would support them, plug that into your current square wave inverter, and see if it will condition the output such that they light correctly. don't know if most UPS run the output through their internal sine wave inverters at all times or not, but it might be a cheap answer if you have one laying around you can try.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby graidawg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:59 am

I have a 400w BAL inverter that got left over from someone over there that is pretty much of no use to me. if its of any use to anyone else
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 am

I'm starting to think the Xantrex "ProWatt SW2000" is the thing to get.
It's pure sine wave, 1800 watt continuous (provided adequate battery and cables) and designed for mobile use. And only $400. it's not compatible with grounded-neutral systems like home electric panels but I don't care about that, it'll only be on the boat where I have no ground anyway.

I'll pay the $1200 for the "ProSine 1800" if there's a legit reason to, but I sure don't want to - my mindset is I'd sooner pay $1200 for good stuff than throw away $400 on junk - but if no one has any bad experience with the $400 set, it's a no-brainer.

Where are all the solar people that know all about these things? Have I given you all too much shit for not running generators? :)
Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:49 am

Ok done. I put in the bad-ass sine wave Xantrex.
It works great! Should have done that years ago.
Captain Goddammit

Re: Inverters and no flippin generators

Postby photon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:44 am

Have not been on the Eplaya for awhile but you were wondering where the "solar people" are so here is one. In the cheaper but reliable category you should consider the Samlex line of pure sine wave inverters. The make mod sine too but basically the true sine should be found for about .40 cents a watt and the mod square for about .25 a watt. They are a basic inverter with no transfer switch or charger like the previously mentioned Outback but for smaller brief use projects they are quite ideal. Also know that they can really only provide about 25% of their rated output for inductive or reactive loads like motors, pumps and ballasted lights. Otherwise for things like LED lights and music they'll do great. If you'd like to step up to an Outback for larger loads you'll spend closer to $2000 by the time you get the Mate controller but it can be used year round back home whether it be off grid or "guerrilla" off griud by using it's built in HBX mode. Super reliable, I have been bringing the same FX2024 sealed one to Burningman for 9 years without any issues at all. Otherwise, Samlex PST series. Should also mention Magnum as they make models in between the above two offerings also with charger and transfer switch provisions. Not sealed though and honestly once you're spending that kind of money one should strongly consider Outback. Just don't dream too big with a bigger inverter if it's just for the playa since you'd also need a big battery bank to support the larger load if it's for any type of extended period of time.
While I'm here does anyone want to camp near 8:15 and G somewhere and put as many people without generators as possible in the area with us? We have a camp of about 20 something folks and our rule has always been no funkin generators. I bring quite a large solar system and can charge your small gadgets and of course help with any advice setting up your own solar system. Every year we wait till we're there to try and bring non gennie folks in but might as well coordinate now and eliminate any chance of someone with a gennie popping up right next to us. Every year we meet great folks on the playa with the same desire and they get excited saying they'll camp next to us the following year but they all flake out and I never hear from them. I realize generators have a place for lots of folks and not trying to say those folks are not trying but why not create a quarter to a half a block without them if many of us are seeking the same thing? I used to set up a large solar infrastructure for camps other than mine but my used to be 8 KWH battery bank is now 7 years old and therefore will just be providing power for our own 20 or so folks. Of course a couple other friends in camp have solar too. This is probably a good opportunity for any of you seeking to take the step into solar as I'll be around to help guide you with any setup or specialized tools if you've felt intimidated by it for any reason. Panels are cheap now and most already have a deep cycle battery bank in their RV. Now is the time to leave the gennie and gas cans at home. A 250 watt panel, wires, fuses and BZ Power charge controller setup will set you back about $600 these days. It's easier than you think! Feel free to email me at zoranisis@mac.com if interested as I'm busy and may not come back to the Eplaya
photon

Return to Power & Illumination