BRC police scanner live feed needs internet connection

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

BRC police scanner live feed needs internet connection

Postby antechrist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 pm

As a service to the citizens of Black Rock City, I'd like to set up a police scanner to live feed across the internet during the entire event. It would sounds something like this: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/3711/web/?rl=rr
I have all the radio gear, but need a reliable internet connection to broadcast over 24/7. If you can provide the connectivity, or know of someone who can, drop me a line.
antechrist

Re: BRC police scanner live feed needs internet connection

Postby CornMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 pm

That is so cool. The Radio Shack scanner market would die again if it hasn't already.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:53 am

Radio Shack never dies, it just keep reaching a half life.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mulch » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:22 am

Are any of the feeds listed in the attached image close enough to BRC to be pertinent? If so, on the way out there while cell or whenever internet service is available, those feeds can be had on ( 5-0 Radio Free ) iPhone app.
Attachments
washoe.jpg
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby antechrist » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm

@mulch Thanks for the suggestion, but with the large number of agencies on playa I think anyone just listening to Washoe county or Reno PD would miss a lot. I was planning a custom feed based on close call hits.

Not sure how available internet is for users eithers. I was hoping people could just tune in on their smart phones to the live feed, but I'm not sure what the current state of cell coverage is. Open to alternative ideas. Anyone got a spare FM transmitter?
antechrist

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:17 pm

What you're going to find is that there's little to no meaningful coverage out there. A couple carriers have brought temporary towers to the region, but even then coverage tends to be spotty and primarily voice driven. And of course, the other side of that is who's heading out to Burning Man and then spending a lot of time screwing around with the internet? We may lead connected lives in Defaultia, but most are perfectly happy to let go on the playa. Those I know who have access to a connection keep their usage to an absolute minimum, and keep it related to a particular job or project.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby CornMan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 pm

I have a friend who years ago simulcasted from his police scanner to his FM radio transmitter and broadcasted that on the playa. After a few days, he got a visit from the cops telling him to stop it.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 pm

That may be a good point. You may want to look into federal, state, county, and local laws on the legality of broadcasting police scanners either online or over airwaves. It could be something they frown upon.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

They would probably not be too happy about it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lemur » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 am

the likely answer on the legal front is probably "it depends"

on the federal front, it looks like this is covered in section 705 of the communications act:

(fcc synopsis here)
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/interception- ... unications

the code itself here (for some reason they refer to it as 605 in the code itself)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/605

the relevant part is section a part 6.. starting around here:

This section shall not apply to the receiving, divulging, publishing, or utilizing the contents of any radio communication which is transmitted by any station for the use of the general public

as referenced in the synopsis, it is up to the FCC to interpret what the code means, it would be (if it came to their desk) up them to decide if police scanner traffic is "for the use of the general public".

on the state/local front things are likely more murky.. for example, some states/localities were trying to pass law to prohibit the 'misuse' of rebroadcasted police scanner traffic.. nevada may be no different.

now, even if you were able to prove that its legal both federally and locally ... you may still encounter official types who enforce the rules based on their gut feeling, and theres not much you can do about that.. unless you want to be charged with disobeying an officer/disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace and risk being arrested for resisting arrest.

with that said.. there are TONS of people rebroadcasting police scanner traffic.. streaming over the internet.. its a hobby and many people enjoy it..

people are broadcasting now in nevada:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/stid/32/publicsafety

or, newspapers/news orgs get together to broadcast:

http://www.cleveland.com/policescanner/

the big concern lately with these things, police scanners, is the transition to digital/encrypted signals that the public cannot listen to.. i.e. they arent broadcast in the clear for everyone to pick up.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/new ... 51319598/1

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22958 ... ent-public

it seems clear to me that at least federally, it doesnt seem to be illegal to stream this over the internet (though, it may be possible for certain folks to interpret that otherwise)... state/local it may be more uncertain (do some research)... but, people are currently broadcasting from nevada so i doubt its explicitly illegal (or unenforced unless its convenient/expedient to do so).. whatever the case may be.. the whole operation may be shut down by someone demanding you do so without any legal justification..

its probably a lot like the whole 'recording videos of the police as they do their job' thing..... a lot of them really dont like it, but its probably legal.. dont expect them to not harass/arrest/detain you for doing it though!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the ... 58828.html
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am

trilobyte wrote:the other side of that is who's heading out to Burning Man and then spending a lot of time screwing around with the internet? We may lead connected lives in Defaultia, but most are perfectly happy to let go on the playa.

im supposing this isnt for consumption in BRC.

i have friends/family interested in listening to police scanners as a hobby/thing to do and theyve mentioned trying to listen to traffic from burning man during the event.. wanting to hear the goings on, thinking it may be a bit more interesting than some other feeds.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 am

Good point. Kind of like the various webcams and BMIR broadcasts, they're pretty popular off-playa.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2013 Art & Performance