Will my bike get destroyed by the playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Will my bike get destroyed by the playa?

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:39 am

Saw someone riding one of these huge tire bikes around. The pics do not do it justice. OMG it's HUGE!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby geospyder » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 am

Here is the average bike after Burning Man

Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm

I use a 1989 model Stump Jumper...I've used it on playa the last 8 years and all the years before. I spend at least an hour cleaning it up when I get home. It's still got the original hardware. Yeah, it shows wear and tear, but with consistent care and maintenance, it's not destroyed. Oh yeah...I leave my primary mountain bike at home
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Canoe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:08 pm

lucky420 wrote:Saw someone riding one of these huge tire bikes around. The pics do not do it justice. OMG it's HUGE!

And heavy.
I just finished drilling out the front rim, 1.5" holes between spokes with two 1" holes by the valve stem hole. This is to let retro-reflective tape show through in place of rim-tape, but it shaved 203g off. By also going with a 120 tpi skinny Larry tire (3.7" instead of the 4" stock Beast tire) and a down-hill tube, the total weight reduced on that one wheel is 2026g, or ~4.5 lbs., leaving the front wheel weighing in at 3588g, or ~7.9 lbs.. After I grease that hub, it will be interesting to see how it rolls with the 100mm rim spreading the skinny Larry.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 pm

What about other options out there besides Surly?

Be aware the green bikes are NOT all the same.
A lot of inconsistency.
I would not take a green bike out there.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 pm

There's many more tires from others available now. Seems more every few months.
I already have the Surlys.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I meant bikes for wide tires.

Love the surly stuff though.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Like the tires, seems there's more available every month or so.
There's the Mongoose Beast starting at $200 plus fixes and upgrades, then Sun Crushers ~$600, then Mountain Fat Bikes from ~1,200 and up.
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/
Canoe

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks.

I recall the front surly kit was $350, could be adapted to a lot of other bikes.
Sounds like some of them are higher than surly now.

Thought of adding 29" rims to my bike.
I'll never get 4" in the rear rim, but could change the front fork.

I rode a surly on the playa in 2007 for a few minutes.
First one I'd ever seen.
Serene in the drifts.

Possibilities ...
gyre

Postby Martiansky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Gyre, Ive got one of the Beasts and even though its heavy its great to ride with a few mods.
I freewheeled the coaster and added front and rear brakes. Also changed the rear cog from a 18T to a 22T and put a longer chain on.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby socks » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Go with a beater bike but maintain it before you hit the playa. The real threat to your bike on the playa is Ali Baba and the 40 bike theives that come to Burning man. I know that BM.org says no bike is stolen unless the lock has been cut and no bike is considered lost until the event is over. Where I come from if you take something that's not yours its stealing plain and simple. Maybe we should go back to the justice of the old west. In that time when you stole a mans transportation it was a hanging offense.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Why remove the coaster brake?
gyre

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 pm

TomServo wrote:The playa will destroy your bearings...and possibly chain. If you want to keep your bike running, have them replaced after..or... read up and replace them yourself. With the right tools, it's not that difficult.

No it won't. It may get into bearings with poor seals or have an effect if a bare steel part is left in a damp environment for a year untouched, but it won't destroy anything.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:44 am

gyre wrote:Why remove the coaster brake?

The bike is more for my sister to ride and she didnt want the coaster brake.
It was easy to do....take out original spring and brake shoes....add longer spring and 1 washer. All done!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks.

I thought there might be a special reason.
gyre

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

The coaster brake works fine on flat, open spaces...so don't think that you HAVE to do it for the playa. Better brakes would be a good idea if you wanted to ride it someplace with hills.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm

maladroit wrote:The coaster brake works fine on flat, open spaces...so don't think that you HAVE to do it for the playa. Better brakes would be a good idea if you wanted to ride it someplace with hills.

Even with the 5 mph rules, I found that having a bike with good front & back brakes kept me from injuring people who stepped out without looking.
Given the extra distance required with my Beast with coaster brakes, I'll have to take extra care on the playa to give extra room or stop and wait where there won't be enough distance for the coaster brake to do the job.
Canoe

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:14 pm

^ That and whats the first thing you think of doing when someone steps in front of you?
Step off the pedals.
With coasters you need both feet on the pedals to pedal back to stop.

I had to get some canti brake adapters for the beast to make them work. Kinda spendy but, oh well....whadaya do?
Martiansky

Postby TomServo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 pm

I prefer coaster brakes...easier to steer in a skid.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Martiansky wrote:I had to get some canti brake adapters for the beast to make them work. Kinda spendy but, oh well....whadaya do?

Work'n on a front disc adapter.
Canoe

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Canoe wrote:Work'n on a front disc adapter.

Nice! Hub swap?

Hey Tom, you swapped out your handlebars yet? How they working for you?
Martiansky

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:09 am

Martiansky wrote:Nice! Hub swap?

Eventually.
Canoe wrote:...I'm cheating though. I threw a rear wheel on off another fat bike on the front. That's a 47mm Trials rim with an Endo. Rolls and steers much much nicer.

see it here viewtopic.php?f=286&t=64688#p945545
Canoe

Postby Sunny D » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:51 pm

I took a new Micargi cruiser last year and it worked out well. Gave it a good wash and tune up right after getting back from the burn and still have had no issues with it. The year prior I took a mountain bike that I had purchased from craigslist and did the mistake of not making sure it was comfortable on long rides. It was such a pain to get around, never again. Make sure your seat and handlebars are comfy! This is key!
You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are.
- Eckhart Tolle
Sunny D

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:57 am

For Mongoose Beast.

I finally got around to riding with the Surly Larry 3.7" tire onto the stock Beast rim (drilled out) for the front wheel. Where the Surly Endo 3.8" was so much better riding, rolling and steering than the stock tire, with this setup, the Larry shows the same amount of improvement over the Endo. OMG, the steering and rolling issues are gone. And this is at 8 PSI, so it's still got cushion too!
Fun to ride and no longer work to ride.
Now about those brakes...
Canoe

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 am

It made that much difference?
Is it the tread pattern?

What exactly did you do to drill out the rim?
gyre

Postby geospyder » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:59 am

Canoe's post about 8 psi brings up a question. When I'm doing any serious four wheeling I lower the pressure in my tires on my Jeep. I'd never gave it a thought for my bike on the Playa. I have a gifted 21 speed Schwinn Suburban Mountain Bike that I've use for the last few years on the Playa. As a standard I've always kept the tire pressure at 50 psi. Maybe I should lower it to the minimum on the sidewall, 40 psi? Maybe lower? Hey, Elliot chime in here! :D
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 am

gyre wrote:It made that much difference?
Is it the tread pattern?

Must be?
Tread pattern with tread height?
Both are the 120 TPI versions (not the 27 TPI), so the cases should absorb the least amount of energy as it rolls.
The Endo ("Endomorph", just discontinued) and the Larry are fairly similar. The Endo has very low knobs across the width with a higher row of knobs at the outside; gives you more of a square profile across the bottom with lots of tire to ground contact. The Larry is more rounded with higher knobs and a row right down the center. I don't have a shot showing the profile difference well, but Endo is on the left/rear, Larry on the right/front.

Endo on the left and Larry on the right.jpg

I never realized how much of a difference that made, as the Endo on a 47mm Trials rim still has some of the Beast steering issues, and the Larry on the stock 100mm rim is still rounded (even when loaded at 8 psi), such that the steering issues are gone. I suspect the difference must be due to the extra rubber on the ground across the width with the Endo. Here's some tracks on sand. You can see how the Larry will sit up on it's knobs on hard ground or pavement, and with the rounded profile it sits on the center of the profile so we say bye bye to the Beast steering issues? (Endo track on left, Larry front & back on right)

Endo on left, Larry front & back on right.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 am

gyre wrote:What exactly did you do to drill out the rim?

Pretty straight forward. Used a 1.5" hole-saw to drill them through after removing the tire, tube and rim strip. Rim was sitting on ground (as in photo) only I was holding it from twisting with my legs. Ease up on pressure as it goes through so you don't hit the spokes with the saw. I made a template to mark the center for drilling, cut so it fits snug between the nipples and the rim wall, so you're not thinking/judging as you mark the centre. Used the point of a needle file to mark the rim, to get a slight indent/hole to start the guide bit of the hole-saw. Note that the two rows are not perfectly aligned (top nipple is slightly to left of where it should be). For the holes positioned to each side of the valve stem hole, I used a 1" hole-saw, to keep more metal between those holes.
1.5 inch hole template for Beast stock 100mm rims.jpg

Oddly, I see (or don't see) that I didn't take a photo of the drilled out rim...
But here's someone else/s (1.5" drilled, 1" not done yet)
Beast stock 100mm rim, drilled out 1.5 inch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Canoe on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:17 am

geospyder wrote:Canoe's post about 8 psi brings up a question. ... 21 speed Schwinn Suburban Mountain Bike ... always kept the tire pressure at 50 psi. Maybe I should lower it to the minimum on the sidewall, 40 psi? Maybe lower? Hey, Elliot chime in here! :D

He'll likely want to know the rim width and the tire size.

8 psi is pretty standard for fat bikes. Usually 12 to 15 psi for pavement and down to 3 psi for snow & some sand. 3 psi on a stock Beast is rather interesting riding on grass, just for a hoot.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:06 pm

A guy here just repainted his aluminum frame white, so he'll be able to see the start of any rust...
Canoe

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation