NEED PIANO TUNED AT VOODOO SOUP (2:45/D)

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.

NEED PIANO TUNED AT VOODOO SOUP (2:45/D)

Postby secret kitty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 am

Hello, Voodoo Soup is looking for someone to help keep our piano tuned this year. if you or someone you know can do this, please let us know. It will come to the playa tuned and serviced, but will need a tune up once it gets there and a couple more times throughout the week. Thanks
secret kitty

Re: NEED PIANO TUNED AT VOODOO SOUP (2:45/D)

Postby Canoe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Have you considered being a little tiny bit self-reliant and doing a search of ePlaya?
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:20 pm

What Canoe means is that we had a thread on just this only a few days ago, which you ought to have found.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby lemur » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 am

i am reminded of a documentary film about the building of a steinway piano called NOTE BY NOTE, The Making Of Steinway L1037

the most interesting thing about it, to me, was the way they tuned them..

it was all done by ear, every note.. every piano

theyd start by sending it to a guy who only does a rough tuning, then let it sit for a while.. then he would mess about with it again.. and then send it to a few more guys who got finer, and finer tuning .. they never used a digital or analog tuner.

and the thing that seemed most cool about it was that the guys doing the tuning were mostly just guys who worked themselves into the job from doing what was basically unskilled labor, sanding parts.. cutting wood.. moving parts around the office

so these were like blue collar guys who probably never took a piano lesson in their lives.. and they could tune a whole damned piano themselves without ever really being 'taught' how, or without needing anything but their ears..

i been playing music for ages, stringed and not.. and i dunno what id need to do to reach such a skill level

it was pretty darn cool..

in other news: "Steinway Sold to Private Equity Firm for $438 Million"
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:07 am

Of no import or relevance at all (I don't believe in setting too many precedents for myself before noon) my maternal grandfather worked in the Steinway factory in Astoria, NY. He would bring home scraps of wood in his lunch pail.

I grew up in a two-family house that had parquet floors in the living room and, eventually, my parents bedroom made of wood thisclose to being Steinway pianos.

I used to hang out in the basement and smoke pot a lot (some things never change). I could swear the footsteps had a resonance like no other(but then again the toilet flushes were also quite intriguing as well).

I lived in that house for the first 29 years of my life. The last eight of which my wife and I occupied the top floor and cared for my ailing parents. When mom eventually passed, and my wife was 7 months pregnant with our first child, my siblings essentially sold the house out from under us and we had to scramble to find living quarters before the closing date.

When the check came for my portion of the proceeds from the sale I sent it back to my brother with a note that asked him to use it to buy a fucking conscience.

Just in case anyone was wondering or anything like that.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

"Blue collar" work isn't inherently "unskilled". I'd say that unless they were sweeping floors, those who work in a piano factory are skilled.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2013 Support A Project