At the Gate

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

At the Gate

Postby PL_FL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 am

I’m giving two people a ride from Reno-to-BRC on Tuesday, but they are staying with (leaving their supplies with) someone else, who is going in on Monday. In your experience, will the gate people be ok with the fact that they don’t have their supplies “with them?”
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Burning Since: 2013

Re: At the Gate

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:22 am

Lots of ppl ship their gear... I haven't had a problem.

IF they ask, explain. They don't go around counting jugs of water and cans of ravioli.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 am

9ah wrote:Lots of ppl ship their gear... I haven't had a problem.

IF they ask, explain. They don't go around counting jugs of water and cans of ravioli.

I'm sorry, your bacon levels are below the minimum daily requirement. You'll have to go back to Reno.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby PL_FL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 am

Very cool, now the harder question. (sorry for the virgin questions) What about, umm, 'substances?' I'll be sipping captain, thank you, but I've made it very clear to my passengers that if we're rejected for 'stuff,' that they get a ride to the nearest gas station, and a handshake, then I'm goin' back in.... if I'm not in jail, I guess. So, what's the reality on the ground? That is to say, how stringent is the look-see, typically?
Last edited by PL_FL on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing Is Written"
PL_FL

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 am

It's your car, you're the driver, it's your responsibility. They won't be checking for "substances" at the gate, but if you get pulled over by the NHP and they discover it, nobody is innocent. Don't be an idiot: No drugs period. If they don't like it, then let them find another ride or get a rental car themselves and let them deal with it.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby PL_FL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 am

True all that...
"Nothing Is Written"
PL_FL

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 am

PL_FL wrote:Very cool, now the harder question. (sorry for the virgin questions) What about, umm, 'substances?' I'll be sipping captain, thank you, but I've made it very clear to my passengers that if we're rejected for 'stuff,' that they get a ride to the nearest gas station, and a handshake, then I'm goin' back in.... if I'm not in jail, I guess. So, what's the reality on the ground?

Drugs are illegal. The police pull vehicles over all the time and catch people with them. There are threads and official BM statements on how to deal with the police if they stop you and ask to search your vehicle. Also, keep the captain stowed until parked at your campsite for the week. Seatbelts on too, even if you are within the city limits.

And yet, somehow, plenty of people manage to get all sorts of things into the event. Even freakin feathers.
VultureChow

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

VultureChow wrote:
9ah wrote:Lots of ppl ship their gear... I haven't had a problem.

I'm sorry, your bacon levels are below the minimum daily requirement. You'll have to go back to Reno.

No.. I make sure the bacon and beer is in the vehicle.
9ah

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:10 am

Very true. Last yeat it was me and three strangers in my vehicle. I created an email thread so that everyone knew each other before we started our too close for comfort ride to the playa. No drinking alcohol in the car/packing drugs was discussed upfront. If someone disagreed, they could have found another way to the playa. It worked out fine.

One riders did bring a little feather that was in the form of a flower to give to her partner since he was already on the playa. I didn't let it leave the car though.

VultureChow wrote:
PL_FL wrote:Very cool, now the harder question. (sorry for the virgin questions) What about, umm, 'substances?' I'll be sipping captain, thank you, but I've made it very clear to my passengers that if we're rejected for 'stuff,' that they get a ride to the nearest gas station, and a handshake, then I'm goin' back in.... if I'm not in jail, I guess. So, what's the reality on the ground?

Drugs are illegal. The police pull vehicles over all the time and catch people with them. There are threads and official BM statements on how to deal with the police if they stop you and ask to search your vehicle. Also, keep the captain stowed until parked at your campsite for the week. Seatbelts on too, even if you are within the city limits.

And yet, somehow, plenty of people manage to get all sorts of things into the event. Even freakin feathers.
9ah

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 am

You can't drop them in Gerlach!!!

You would have to take at least to Fernley.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby PL_FL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks all, I have no intention of drinking/smoking/whatever on the drive in. I'm an aging hippie so I know the Highway Patrol drill. And as for the drop off if they do try to bring something, maybe I take them up to Double Hot, and tell 'em to chill out in the water, and I'll be right back :)
"Nothing Is Written"
PL_FL

Postby maladroit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

Gate would have a problem if your passengers somehow forgot their ticket. That's probably the most important thing to determine, right at the beginning of your trip with them.
maladroit

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm

You might also want to find out if Gate will let you drop participants at the gate. It's a mighty long walk into the city.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm not sure from these posts whether the OP had planned to leave his passengers at the Gate, but we should specify that it won't be an option. There is no safe place for people to sit and wait @ Gate. In years past, folks have been allowed to stop at the Greeter's station and sleep, but not without a vehicle.

It would take only a few minutes more to take the passengers to their camp, if it's placed, or to take them to Center Camp, minimum. Playa Info is in the Center Camp area, open 9am - 6pm, and any camp can register their location there to help their folks find them, even if they are not placed. Whomever arrives at the Burn first from the camp should go down to Playa Info and register the camp location very specifically, to the nearest 5 minutes on the clock. (Discussion of how camp looks beforehand is also obviously a good idea).

If the travelers are likely to come in after 6pm, when Playa Info is closed (and full of people pretending they have the answers to things) the passengers should have someone from their camp assigned to go look for them at a specific spot every 2-3 hours. If it's a large place, like the Center Camp tent, they should pick one of the 4 sides to meet on, and have . . . I dunno, a flag and a whistle; water, and a snack. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby PL_FL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Yes! Ticket is number one quesiton when doing our rendezvous in Reno. I already have to hit will-call on the way in for my STEP tix, and there is just one other in my party having to do that... just hope they remember to bring the email print-out. If not we can hit the 'business center' at the motel.

As for the walk, I am hoping (fingers&toes crossed) that we'll have the coordinates of the drop-off (ex: we'll be at 6 and G?)... If not, I'm thinking we're screwed. If they don't know before they drive in, maybe they can leave a message at will-call?

I have to admit, although it's GREAT to be isolated from the real world, it would be kinda cool to have an internal messaging system ("Hey, I'm over at this great camp, come on by!") But being a virgin, I'm going to give myself advice before someone else does, shut up and enjoy it!! :)
"Nothing Is Written"
PL_FL

Postby PL_FL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks Savannah - I replied when you were replying :)
"Nothing Is Written"
PL_FL

Postby maladroit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:03 pm

PL_FL wrote:Yes! Ticket is number one quesiton when doing our rendezvous in Reno. I already have to hit will-call on the way in for my STEP tix, and there is just one other in my party having to do that... just hope they remember to bring the email print-out. If not we can hit the 'business center' at the motel.

It really will be a horrible pain if someone forgets...so, the very first thing you should do is not only ask, but demand to see everyone's tickets or will-call pickup documentation (including yours!). Then everyone watches while it's stored carefully in the glovebox, never to be opened again until Gate.
maladroit

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 pm

PL_FL wrote:Yes! Ticket is number one quesiton when doing our rendezvous in Reno. I already have to hit will-call on the way in for my STEP tix, and there is just one other in my party having to do that... just hope they remember to bring the email print-out. If not we can hit the 'business center' at the motel.

As for the walk, I am hoping (fingers&toes crossed) that we'll have the coordinates of the drop-off (ex: we'll be at 6 and G?)... If not, I'm thinking we're screwed. If they don't know before they drive in, maybe they can leave a message at will-call?

I have to admit, although it's GREAT to be isolated from the real world, it would be kinda cool to have an internal messaging system ("Hey, I'm over at this great camp, come on by!") But being a virgin, I'm going to give myself advice before someone else does, shut up and enjoy it!! :)

Text. Texting actually works out there better than anything else. The reason being it's just a tiny signal piggybacking on other signals waiting for the weakest of connections. There's so much going on that pulling out my phone to text back and forth all week would never occur to me, but in the event that one is trying to coordinate something super important, then texting is the one most likely to get through. But have a backup plan in place.
VultureChow

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 pm

It's called leaving a note. Bring paper, a pen/marker and the rest is magic. If you remember a time before cell phones, you remember the importance of note passing between classes in school. The concept is alive and well at Burning Man.

You can also leave a dry eraser board within your camp so folks can leave a note when you aren't around.

PL_FL wrote: I have to admit, although it's GREAT to be isolated from the real world, it would be kinda cool to have an internal messaging system ("Hey, I'm over at this great camp, come on by!") But being a virgin, I'm going to give myself advice before someone else does, shut up and enjoy it!! :)
9ah

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Ah... my bad about walking in. Somehow I got the impression the OP was not attending the event himself, just giving a "taxi" ride to the gate. My brain sometimes does that sort'a thing. Carry on!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:35 pm

A very specific text to the nearest "5 minutes" (like "5:35 and H; huge blue dome and trampoline") may work, from the person on-playa to the people off-playa, before the event. It's a back-up measure, & should not be relied upon. Playa Info registration onsite is better. If arriving outside of 9am-6pm, a predetermined, non-moving, public meeting place with seating and shade (hence my suggestion of Center Camp) is good, but it's large so pick a side, and send someone who recognizes the travelers.

Here's another way non-placed camps have directed newcomers: affixing brightly colored signs to streetposts. Make sure you have someone handy to make the signs. Ours were made of wood painted in black and yellow, tightly affixed by a method I do not remember (but might ask about). Maybe a web of industrial zip ties.

Agree ahead of time to camp on a specific side of the city. (If you're not placed, it will probably be outside of G street.)

If on the 9 o'clock side, have your newcomers turn left after Greeters and go up the high side of the clock. If it's the 3 o'clock side, turn right (obviously). Drive up the outside street looking for sign number 1 with camp name pointing inward. Awesome. Turn inward on 6:30 or 7:00 (or 4:00, or 3:30) wherever you may be. Drive inwards towards the 'Man. Look for sign number 2 with an arrow pointing up or down a named street, for example, H street. Obey the arrow. Finally, sign number 3 should be weighted down and next to the road (or--if prearranged--a flag on a pole). This works surprisingly well, but the bigger the camp the easier it will be to see (and the physical description must still be known).

Note: I feel confident in saying that Will Call will probably not want to pass on a note about anyone's location. Their office is small, their job totally different than Playa Info's, and they already have a lot to deal with.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:11 pm

FYI.. I was referring to a note at your camp... Not taking into account the person may not know where the camp is... In that case have your friend write a note and post it on the playa info board... Maybe even on a bright, colored sheet of paper so you notice it!
9ah

Return to Transportation