RV Post-Burn Cleaning

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

RV Post-Burn Cleaning

Postby Galador » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 pm

The situation is this: A family member is lending me their RV, a nice 31' one, for Burning Man. As part of the deal I will be leaving the RV, post burn, in Arizona in storage for a couple of months where they will pick it up and start a road trip from there.

So I need to find a way to thoroughly clean the RV after the burn. To make this more complex I will be alone after the burn. I have looked at using a shop that is specialized in RV detailing but the service is somewhat, to say the least, expensive. At least 700$ for interior and exterior cleaning.

Somebody mentioned shops or outfits that are setup especially to clean RVs (and cars) after the event. That would be an option. Does anyone have more information on that?

Or know of any good team between BRC and Tucson, AR? I won't be in a rush to leave, so I can take my time (and not spend it in line waiting) but I just don't want to spend it cleaning ...

I'll be following the RV survival guide recommendations about taping windows, ...

Thanks!

Galador
Galador

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Midnight Poutine

Re: RV Post-Burn Cleaning

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Is this your first year and first in an RV? Several threads on vehicles and dust, cleaning cars and rules for RV's.

Here is one way to look at it. You don't want to alienate your relatives, so you want to return it cleaner than you got it. You may want to preserve the invitation to rent it in a future year.

Outbound there is often an exterior wash for donation to benefit the Gerlach community. The cost is nominal and it's always fun to chat with the people who live there year around.

It took 5 people 4 hours to clean our rental RV. That included hand wiping every interior surface, slide out surfaces, vacuuming carpet and all upholstery. In addition suggest a thorough underbody wash, compressed air blowout of the genny, propane & other cubbies, vent air intakes. There is a good argument for having the engine cleaned, cleaning out any air intake manifolds, replacing the aircon and vent filters.

It would be great to have a network of post playa detailers, but the service will not be cheap if it is effective.

Have a great adventure.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Easiest is the steps you take to prevent it getting trashed inside to start with, including seat covers (cheap sheets), table covers, floor covers, taping window seams, taping storage compartments shut that I didn't use, etc..
Took me around 20 minutes to spray down the outside of a 30', but not a lot of rain or mud that year.
Around three hours to do the inside, including washing the floor.
This did not include changing any filters. May or may not be required, but if you want to keep peace in the family and have the possibility of getting offered it again.
Do not use masking tape or duct tape. Painter's tape or Gaffer's tape.

As some seeing eye said, tons on eplaya. Search.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Galador » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Some Seeing Eye: Indeed, my first year, and first time vacationing in an RV except when I was a kid. You have a point.

Canoe: Thanks for the info and sharing your experience. Have you used blue, painter's, tape personally? I read conflicting information about its usability on the playa. There is still time for me to order gaffer's tape but if blue is ok ...
Galador

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Midnight Poutine

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Galador wrote:Canoe: Thanks for the info and sharing your experience. Have you used blue, painter's, tape personally? I read conflicting information about its usability on the playa. There is still time for me to order gaffer's tape but if blue is ok ...

It's been covered elsewhere, so you really do need to search. Lots of people have shared what does or doesn't work, and there's no point in getting too far into it here when it's already covered.

That said, for sealing window seams (indoor & outdoor) and door seams (outdoor), I used green painter's tape successfully, after a quick wipe. viewtopic.php?f=277&t=56127&p=848574&hilit=rv+logo+cover#p848574 But, in a strong wind, painter's tape outside may not hold.

If you're going for Foil-sided Bubble-wrap (or other covering material) taped over the windows on the outside (heat rejection), you want gaffer's tape to be sure it holds. Both to hold and to not damage.

Inside, green painter's tape so you don't have residue and least chance of damaging interior surfaces.
Note that green painter's tape is NOT the Delicate Surface very pale green painter's tape; that will not hold sufficiently.
I've not used the blue. But some have used the blue freezer tape with the same results I get from the green painter's tape, except there are some reports of it going gooey above 95F.

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=54180&start=60#p945038
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 pm

I've used the blue painters tape inside & outside - won't ever use it outside again. One strong wind & away it goes. On the inside you need to make sure you're applying it to a clean surface - once the playa dust gets on there it won't stick. Either wipe down before applying, or apply before you get to there.

I've been really unhappy with the way sheets have "protected" the cushions, this year I think I'm going to buy super cheap plastic painters tarps, and put those on as a slip-cover before the sheets. Hopefully it will give an extra layer of protection to the cushions, since they always seem to be a problem area.

One of our tricks for cleaning is hiring a group of day-laborers & having them help clean (usually a group of 2 or 3). They think it's weird that 2 of us are there helping as well, but we're going to be pickier than they are. That gets it clean in about 2 hours, but I'd spend more time than that if your relatives are going to be using it. Playa dust can pop out of anywhere.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 am

Eric wrote:... I've been really unhappy with the way sheets have "protected" the cushions...

In 2010, Walmart had queen sets for $12, in flannel. Seems to block the dust instead of passing it through the weave.
Canoe

Postby Rusted Iron » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Every summer I'm treated to a shower of playa dust the first time I turn on the air conditioner. It doesn't seem to matter how much I ran it in the warm weather in the fall. It settles down and waits.
Rusted Iron

Postby FireDiva » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 pm

I have an RV that I store in Reno, now that I live in Hawaii. I hired two Reno Burners to clean my RV for me. Most Burners are looking for a few extra bucks after the burn. I would recommend going to the Reno Burner facebook page and ask there.
FireDiva

Return to Transportation