Canned Bread

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Canned Bread

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 pm

I wanted to share this with my fellow carboholic Burners. Get out a pencil: B&M (Burnham & Morrill) Raisin Brown Bread. Labeled as "New Englands Finest".

This stuff comes in a big 16 oz can as a cylindrical loaf, looks like molasses bread, and is cooked right in the can. It is unleavened and fairly dense, but it's surprisingly good stuff. Ingredients are: water, whole wheat flour, molasses, dextrose, rye flour, raisins, whey, yellow corn oil, baking soda, buttermilk, and salt. No markings as to suitability for our Jewish friends, so if that is important you might want to research it a bit.

To serve it you cut the top and bottom out of the can leaving a metal sleeve. Push the bread out an inch or so with your fingers, cut-off a half-inch slice, (looks like a big dark sausage patty now), butter it well on both sides, and fry it up in a covered pan on medium heat. After 2-3 minutes, add more butter (or, more nummy, and recommended by 4 out of 5 cardiologists who are trying to put their kids through med school, bacon grease!). Dump it on a plate and serve with a fork. A half-inch slice is 30 grams of carbs and 130 calories.

I take 3-4 cans of this stuff to every burn and it's usually gone by Thursday. Something about it just goes well with playa dust. At home, I'm not a big fan of it. I find it passable, but nothing more. On the playa I CRAVE this stuff, as do my fellow campers.

One neat thing is it doesn't spoil, dry-out, or mold after a week. When you've cut-off a piece, just slide the rest back into the can and put it in a ziploc. It doesn't need refrigeration after opening, and it's shelf-stable for 3 years. If an end gets a bit chewy, cut off a thin slice and discard as the remaining bread will still be very good.

I have seen it at World Market and HEB, as well as on-line. It's even cheap.

If you tend to crave bread on the playa, try this stuff. It's also pretty good with a Shiraz.
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Canned Bread

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 am

I used to love that stuff when I was a kid. With cream cheese slathered on it.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am

Sounds like tasty stuff. We just bring bread and buns, though, and have them all week for sandwiches, burgers, etc. We take an old cooler (it doesn't need to be high tech), put some ice into ziplocs (so meltwater doesn't have a chance to make anything soggy) in the bottom, then put the bread in.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby tatonka » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 am

Banana Bread in a Jar Recipe (adapted from allrecipes.com)
(Makes one dozen 250 ml jars)

Ingredients:

•2/3 cup shortening
•2 2/3 cups white sugar
•4 eggs
•2 cups mashed bananas
•2/3 cup water
•3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon baking powder
•2 teaspoons baking soda
•1 1/2 teaspoons salt
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1 teaspoon ground cloves (I used half a teaspoon because I didn’t want mine too ‘clovey’.)
•2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
You will also need:

•12 250 ml canning jars
•funnelIf you are planning on storing these for a while, you will need to sterilize your jars. Follow the instructions here for how to sterilize jars. (Some reviewers on Allrecipes.com said the jars will keep up to a year in your pantry if sealed properly. To be safe, I wouldn’t make these more than a week before your wedding. We don’t endorse keeping for long periods because we are NOT food scientists and cannot speak to longevity canned bread. In fact, this article on canning bread, which was sent over by a reader, strongly advises against it.)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of a dozen 250ml canning jars. (I wiped mine down with vegetable oil.)

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby twister5voy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:04 am

twister5voy

Postby maladroit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm

At $5 a can...they aren't really doing anything special beyond the normal Boston brown bread recipe. You could bake some from scratch in empty coffee cans and bring it to the playa, it'll be cheaper and taste better. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:37 pm

This brings back some memories for me as well. I was brought up (well more accurately "made my way") in the inner city. A buddy and I used to go upstate camping to put a different kind of adventure in our lives*. We took this along once or twice, it was longer than I care to admit but all I remember was the vague feeling of being cloying sweet for bread but it could have been me or perhaps something else or maybe even someone else's memory.

*Once we thought we would do something really cool and just picked a random town off the destination board at NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal. I don't remember the town name but we ended up in some summer community on the Jersey shore in April. We froze our nuts off and eventually got chased off of someone's forested front yard. I think the campfire we set may have had something to do with alerting them to the intruders. We didn't get arrested or anything (that time).

But I digress (again).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Return to Food & Drink