One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby VultureChow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Savannah wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Whole Paycheck has it, too, or has had it, but I don't shop anymore for their attempts to dodge giving their employees health care.
Fuck Whole Paycheck.

I don't know if you have these stores in your fair city, but Fred Meyer, QFC and Kroger have sold the Horizon Farms boxed milk. For back-to-school, they frequently sell it for $1 per box. The juice aisle is the first place I check, then sometimes the organic section. Dairy is actually the last place I look, but sometimes it's there, too.

I pack (premixed, liquid) Carnation Instant Breakfast also, in case I get tired of cereal ('cause sometimes I do). I chill it in the cooler.

Breakfast milkshake, nom, nom, nom.

I'm anticipating another year of backwards meals. Steak and grilled veggies for breakfast. Whatever I can cram into my gullet the rest of the day.

Sunday I was too tired to cook. Monday was the chili cookoff and Tues & Wed had dust ups whenever I felt like grilling. By Thursday I accepted that the playa wanted me to have steak for breakfast, and I just did that for the rest of the week.

Also, if you can find it at Costco, they are rather notorious for paying their employees well.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Martiansky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Tickets came today.....WOOHOO!!!!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby geospyder » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Just ordered a 10x12 heavy duty silver tarp to be the floor of my Monkey Hut.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby geospyder » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:39 pm

In an ordering mood. Just ordered a Coleman Perfect Flow 1-Burner Stove and a 32 ounce GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle. Those items matched with the Mountain House Freeze Dried meals and water should keep me fed :lol:
geospyder

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:01 am

I lust after Halulite teapots, although I do not need one.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:01 am

Figured out a non-destructive way to quickly decorate my bike last night. I had a ton of left over orange paracord from last year and decide to see if I could wrap the bike in it. Tried it on a handlebar and it's perfect. Clean looking, doesn't damage the bike underneath and totally secure (nothing to unravel or hang off and get caught.)

I'm going to get some other bright pretty colors and make a rainbow bike.
VultureChow

Postby oly14 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Discovered that Traitor Joe no longer carries milk in juice boxes... Must rethink breakfast strategy...

I got some quart boxes of Parmalat at WalMart. Not all of them carry it though, I had to go a few towns over.
oly14

Burning Since: 2013

Postby otakup0pe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:25 am

Going to a regional campout this weekend so today is a perfect time to bring our battery situation to order.

Also my 12v bare wire -> 5v usb @ 3amp dongle arrived today. Now I think I have all the electronics (except perimeter lights) for our art.
otakup0pe

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 am

VultureChow wrote:Figured out a non-destructive way to quickly decorate my bike last night. I had a ton of left over orange paracord from last year and decide to see if I could wrap the bike in it. Tried it on a handlebar and it's perfect. Clean looking, doesn't damage the bike underneath and totally secure (nothing to unravel or hang off and get caught.)

I'm going to get some other bright pretty colors and make a rainbow bike.

Nice thinking. I will be doing this...as my bikes are green.
maladroit

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Hot glue does not damage it. Just uses nail polish remover or a butter knife after and it comes right off, so bedazzle, fur or whatever to your bike!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Hot glue does not damage it. Just uses nail polish remover or a butter knife after and it comes right off, so bedazzle, fur or whatever to your bike!

I'll keep that in mind to maybe tack down anything loose. It's aesthetics for me too. I like clean neat lines when I make something for the most part. I love looking at fuzzy bikes and sparkly bikes and bikes that are merry go round ponies. But when I sit and try to do something like that, I have a complete and utter mental block.
VultureChow

Postby tatonka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 pm

will pick up a Honda eu2500 generator tommorow , the guy got it at a estate sale and doesnt use it , he wants 325.00
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Elliot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:50 pm

tatonka wrote:will pick up a Honda eu2500 generator tommorow , the guy got it at a estate sale and doesnt use it , he wants 325.00

There is such a thing as an EU2500?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby tatonka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 pm

It was advertised that way on Cl ? Ah its a e2500 ?

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/rvs/3869559776.html
Last edited by tatonka on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tatonka

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 pm

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

That is not what you think it is.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby tatonka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 pm

what is it?

tatonka

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Good God, that's an antique! Pay attention, son... it says E 2500 -- NOT EU! It is out of production and definitely not a quiet one.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

You can get an eu2000 for 5-600 at pawn shops. This is way over priced and loud.
tattoogoddess

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:58 am

Foxfur wrote:I might have mentioned it previously but it can't be said enough.
3M 8979N Nuclear Grade duct tape
It has a thicker scrim (the mesh grid in the tape) and a special adhesive formula. They say it won't leave any residue when removed in 6 months. I've pulled it off after a year and it didn't leave any gummy crap at all.
But, the adhesive is adhesivy as hell. It won't be coming off until you take it off.
I get mine on Amazom for about $20 a roll.
I use it for almost everything except for non-critical things. Those get mummified with the dollar store stuff.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:35 am

Tatonka, just scrolled back and saw your new "house".
That will work!! I can't imagine your Ford having any difficulty hauling that.
You might wanna do what I'm gonna try to do if I get time - make a shade for the roof. Something about a foot or two above, to keep direct sun off it. The roof gets hot as hell and even a pretty powerful A/C has to work really hard to cool it. I'm thinking white or silver tarp stretched over a PVC frame, attached to big PVC poles strapped to the corner jacks or something, and tied to the camper everywhere I can.

If you get a generator, by all means bring a microwave!
Instant hot food is nice, nicer yet is getting it without heating up the inside of your camper!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 am

Nice, Tatonka, and at the right price too.

I started my conscious (as in when I remember) increased intake of water on 7/1. After several years of drinking room temp water exclusively (alcoholic beverages aside) I've fallen back a bit reverting to old ways and started having a pop 2-3 times a week at lunch. I'm putting an end to that tout suite (or is that too sweet?).

I'm also determined to start my bicycle riding today as soon as I find a replacement for the fucking pool pump/filter which I fucking jury rigged last year and is now fucking leaching water like a fucking sportscaster spews superlatives.

It's one of those first world problems: we got the pool when the kids were kids so we knew where they were. They're grown now and we're blissfully ignorant as to where they are and what they're doing but we're left with this thing that needs more attention than it's worth. We decided at the time we didn't want an aboveground, couldn't afford an inground, so we though a semi-inground was an affordable compromise. I got a deal on redwood and built a massive deck around it becuase it seemed like the thing to do. Now Mrs Pup uses it maybe 3 times a year (at my cajoling) and I make the occasional obligatory dive in fully clothed (as much as shorts and skivvies could be considered fully clothed) when I'm doing yard work and can't stand the heat anymore.

The problem lies if I dismantle the deck and yank the thing I'll be left with a massive crater which I can't think of a damn thing to do with given my proximity-challangeness to the playa and it's obvious use as a sparklepony/fratboy/hippie mass burial ground (besides with my luck Sic Pup will dig one up, drag it in and drop it at my feet..... and expect a reward to boot).

But I digress.
Last edited by Sic Pup on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Oldguy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:29 am

Loaded up on fluids: 2 cases of bottled water, 1 case of Pepsi, and 1 case of PBR. Only one more paycheck before I roll. My caregiver Darlene gave me a piece of material ( 5'X15' ) with grommets on one long side. I think I will use it as a room divider in my shelter.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:47 am

Sic Pup, Take out the pool and build a bunker, or fill the hole.

The money you save will make your burn better! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Discovered that Traitor Joe no longer carries milk in juice boxes... Must rethink breakfast strategy...

I get mine from Amazon, shipped to my jumping-off point; saves me time and money. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby geospyder » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Picked up a few more solar lights from the Dollar Store. Helps keep people from tripping over things at night :)
geospyder

Postby maladroit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Stripped down the Beast to pack with white grease and properly torque all the bearings. Dropped the front wheel in the process and had to chase the ball bearings around the garage...anyway, got it all put back together and it rides easily 3x better. Will do the same for the second one soon. I'd consider it mandatory for anyone buying a Mongoose Beast for the playa; they don't assemble or grease these remotely close to the correct way.
maladroit

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:04 pm

maladroit wrote:Stripped down the Beast to pack with white grease and properly torque all the bearings. Dropped the front wheel in the process and had to chase the ball bearings around the garage...anyway, got it all put back together and it rides easily 3x better. Will do the same for the second one soon. I'd consider it mandatory for anyone buying a Mongoose Beast for the playa; they don't assemble or grease these remotely close to the correct way.

TOM ARE YOU LISTENING? Lol
tattoogoddess

Postby Martiansky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:08 pm

maladroit wrote:Stripped down the Beast to pack with white grease and properly torque all the bearings. Dropped the front wheel in the process and had to chase the ball bearings around the garage...anyway, got it all put back together and it rides easily 3x better. Will do the same for the second one soon. I'd consider it mandatory for anyone buying a Mongoose Beast for the playa; they don't assemble or grease these remotely close to the correct way.

That happened to me, too. Some of the bearings on the floor, some stuck inside the hub itself.
Sorry Maladroit...I shouldve mentioned that they were loose bearings in front.
The only thing I didnt take aprt was the bottom bracket.

I ordered a different seat for the trike, it has a backrest.
I took the 3 speed freewheel for it down to the local bike shop and they are going to rebuild it for me with some bigger gears.
The ones on it just werent right (14/17/20) and I looked online and couldnt find one that had bigger gears. Need something like 20/23/26.
It was kinda neat the looks on the young bike shop guys faces(Ive know the owner for many years) because they hadnt seen a 3 speed before.
Turns out(the owner told me)that my freewheel has the frame of a 5 speed but it uses spacers to make it only a 3 speed.
A lightbulb came on when he figured it out! I said, AH, after seeing that one, you have the technology to make one now if need be!
I was goingto put a 6 speed freewheel on instead but even with the different derailleur the chain was hitting the frame. The frame is made kinda strange in the first place and Im trying to modify it to run the trike conversion....its arguing about it with me! :D
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby Martiansky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 pm

TattooGoddess.....did Tom ever put the cruiser handlebars on his Beast?
Ive asked a couple times he must not see the posts.
I think Im gonna stick with the ones that came on mine.
Martiansky

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks