Sound camps I have a question?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Sound camps I have a question?

Postby Sandwichman » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:44 pm

This year was my first year at Burning Man. I brought records and tried to find a few places to play. I am a laid back person and did not want spinning to be my reason for going to Burning Man. So here is my question...

What is the appropriate ettiquette for spinning at Burning Man? I have been spinning for 9 years and have a following but when I would approach people they looked at me like I was some guy playing on Playskool turntables with broken records. I tried to be nice asking people if they had any time available and was looked upon as some evil doer. This next year I would love to get a chance to play on a decent system and share my craft. So any advice is appreciated. I play a widely accesible sound with my own unique twist so it wasn't like I was asking to spin polka.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby geekster » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:44 am

Actually, if you could find a way to spin polka ... mixed in with maybe some acid house ... you might be onto something :)
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Sandwichman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:45 am

geekster wrote:Actually, if you could find a way to spin polka ... mixed in with maybe some acid house ... you might be onto something :)

It depends on the beat ;)
Sandwichman

Postby Tiara » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:51 am

I think most camps (and virtually all of the "big sound" camps) make up their DJ schedule before they hit the playa. You'd probably be best to contact them in advance of the event.

Of course, there's always the chance that you'd happen by just as the scheduled entertainment failed to show up on time.
Tiara

well

Postby Layne » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:36 am

I know for us, we have 16 in camp dj's who contribute year round to the success of the camp by building and contributing sound, as well as their talents for fund raising.

We also try to incorporate other dj's from sound camps but there
are only so many hours in the day and we really didn't get started
until Tuesday afternoon.

Each of us only got around 2 hours on the decks total - give or take.

My advise is to get in with a camp and contribute as much as you can
before Burning Man. That is the one way to ensure you some playing
time.
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

Re: well

Postby Sandwichman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:10 pm

Layne wrote:I know for us, we have 16 in camp dj's who contribute year round to the success of the camp by building and contributing sound, as well as their talents for fund raising.

We also try to incorporate other dj's from sound camps but there
are only so many hours in the day and we really didn't get started
until Tuesday afternoon.

Each of us only got around 2 hours on the decks total - give or take.

My advise is to get in with a camp and contribute as much as you can
before Burning Man. That is the one way to ensure you some playing
time.

Appreciate the feedback.

Jason
Sandwichman

Postby mo_corleone » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:03 pm

getting involved with a sound-based theme camp is your best bet. there are calls for DJs all over the e-playa throughout the year, so even if you don't already know people you can still throw down some records if you plan correctly.

another option is to check out your WhoWhenWhatever guide. i saw a couple different places with open decks sessions scheduled. some camps (maneki neko, maybe?) had open decks every single day.
~ erratically self-sufficient ~
mo_corleone

Postby Larissa » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:52 am

The guys in my camp brought down sound equipment and ended up having to turn away dozens of people trying to drop in on the action. They felt really bad about it, but they had brought down all this expensive equipment from Canada, already had schedules of DJ's planned and for the time when no one was playing they didn't feel comfortable leaving their equipment unattended with a bunch of strangers spinning.

Not to say that they didn't trust them exactly, but they didn't want to be worrying about it while they were out having fun on the playa. Unfortunately, a couple of the guys who were turned away on the first night got a little hostile and tried to start a fight with them, if you can believe that! Luckily everyone in camp jumped in to calm the situation, but it certainly didn't give them warm fuzzies about lending out their equipment.

So ya, definitely try to hook up with a sound camp prior to the event, even send them a demo tape or something. 'Cause I guarantee all of the sound camps get bombarded with people coming up and asking for a slot throughout the week. They can't say yes to everyone, or they wouldn't have any time to play themselves. And I'm sure they'd feel more comfortable knowing before hand that what style you played and if you were decent.

Good luck next year. :)
Larissa

Postby Sandwichman » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:03 pm

Appreciate the feedback. Last year I was emailing camps around January looking to meet up with some of the sound crews with almost zero response. I waited a few months and tried again and still no response.

I don't know next year i will bring my own sound and gear and spin hour slots. ;)

Jason
Sandwichman

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:52 pm

That would be best (fits the self reliance theme also). It is hard enough babying a stereo on the Playa, keep drinks out of it, keep the volume at a point where the speakers won't blow, etc. Having a "guest" come into that mix is just asking for trouble. However, if you spent a few hours getting to know the people behind the setup, you might have better luck. Too many people seem to want top just waltz up and start messing with a $2000 DJ system like it's a tape deck...
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Sandwichman » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:00 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:That would be best (fits the self reliance theme also). It is hard enough babying a stereo on the Playa, keep drinks out of it, keep the volume at a point where the speakers won't blow, etc. Having a "guest" come into that mix is just asking for trouble. However, if you spent a few hours getting to know the people behind the setup, you might have better luck. Too many people seem to want top just waltz up and start messing with a $2000 DJ system like it's a tape deck...

I have tried to extend the effort to meet people. I will probably just bring sound next year. Maybe we can manage to bring our Yorkville TX's out. That would be good fun 20,000 watts of clear sound. I understand the concerns of a sound tech as I am one as well. I am not some bedroom dj who just wants to jump on any ship. I have more to bring to the table than just my djing.

Jason
Sandwichman

Postby damon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:30 pm

Check posts on this forum, bring Your records/cds/equpiment with You. Walk around, stop by, talk to people, ask, smile :)

I had a chance to spin twice this year @camps on esplanade :) You never know what will happen :)

My goal for the next year - my own soundsystem + small gennie = pleasure for other people :)

peace
damon

Postby playasnake » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:32 am

most dj schedules get planned out ahead of time.

most planned schedules fall apart on the playa for any number of reasons.

lastly, djs are about as hard to find on the playa as dust, so i think most camps are less than willing to let a stranger on the decks, when they have 20 alternates in the wings.

funny side story: in 2000, like tues or wed, we shut down our sound system during the day to go play kickball against one of our neigbors. about 15 minutes into the game the system started back up. the few of us who were in charge of the sound ran back to see what was up... and who the fuck was on OUR decks ;)

it turns out a group of brits had wandered by asking if they could play records. one of the girls in our camp said "yeah, sure... as long as its not trance". we liked the records they were playing so we let them stay on.

a little bit later we figured out it was freq nasty, 10sui and tobi. they had been wandering around trying to find systems to let them play, but since they didnt play trance, they were having a hard time... ahhaahaha

anyway. anything can happen out there, and probably will
e pluribus unimog
playasnake

Postby D Matrix » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:18 pm

That is a fucking sweet story!!

peace,
m
D Matrix

Postby Larissa » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:39 pm

playasnake wrote:a little bit later we figured out it was freq nasty, 10sui and tobi. they had been wandering around trying to find systems to let them play, but since they didnt play trance, they were having a hard time... ahhaahaha

Nice! :D
Larissa

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities