Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
duffdog wrote: older men who build art cars with only 2 seats explicitly with the intention of waiting outside of a "rave" for a young girl who may or may not be under the influence of drugs and offer her a "ride home."

Say, that's a pretty good idea!

no you can not drive your RV to a rave,,Doc
unjonharley

Postby aserendipity » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 am

so much passion to describe the high
it is not drugs or alcohol it is passion
and of course Grai got it right
dance all night just because you can
and yes I can and do whenever
just saw a gadget at the airport , tiny personal bass device ..hmmm
aserendipity

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 am

[quote="duffdog"] older men who build art cars with only 2 seats explicitly with the intention of waiting outside of a "rave" for a young girl who may or may not be under the influence of drugs and offer her a "ride home." [

Best watch your mouth about the DPW.. They have ways..
unjonharley

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 am

Being a raver male has advantages...1: ravers bring all the cute athletic girls with them. Most of the women you single, fat, boring guys (and females) think are hot are only there because a male raver brought them. 2: ravers are absolutely more helpful with regards to setting up events/ stages etc. Considering the dancing most ravers do, running consecutive 6 minute miles in a 105 degree desert is easy. Most fatasses I see on the playa can barely walk in the desert, let alone lift a finger to do anything. Many of my raving friends have already set up the sound system, rebuilt the transmission in your car while you weren't looking and cooked dinner for 80 people just so that they won't miss the party.

i fucked your girlfriends.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:26 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Being a raver male has advantages...1: ravers bring all the cute athletic girls with them. Most of the women you single, fat, boring guys (and females) think are hot are only there because a male raver brought them. 2: ravers are absolutely more helpful with regards to setting up events/ stages etc. Considering the dancing most ravers do, running consecutive 6 minute miles in a 105 degree desert is easy. Most fatasses I see on the playa can barely walk in the desert, let alone lift a finger to do anything. Many of my raving friends have already set up the sound system, rebuilt the transmission in your car while you weren't looking and cooked dinner for 80 people just so that they won't miss the party.

i fucked your girlfriends.

I seconded that.
unjonharley

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 am

DrYes wrote:I turned 40 this year, and I like to rave at Burning Man. You'll often find my wife and I, dressed in full-blown raver gear (with a playa accent, of course) going until dawn. It's the only time of the year I party like that. I don't go to clubs at home. I don't go to EDM festivals. I've seen Skrillex and a couple other modern EDM acts at Bay Area venues, but most of my club-going days were when trance was king in the EDM world, back in the 90s.

Fuck me though, I love Burning Man. There is nothing like dancing in the desert. The most epic indoor club in the world pales in comparison to the point that I can't go to indoor clubs anymore except ironically, which is to say essentially never. It's all plastic commercial bullshit until you get out onto the playa and hit Robot Heart at dawn or OT at 2 am.

I realize many of the eplaya residents dislike the raver culture out there, not all of us/most of us are the "Brochella" types. I also don't identify with 'raver' culture (something to do with being 40 maybe, I dunno). I just love the energy of EDM out there. Burning Man re-awakened a gut-level appreciation of music for me that I think I'd been missing. I love EDM. I think it's the best stuff in the genre are helping to define what popular music is to a new generation of human beings.

One of the more interesting threads in a while. I too would lump myself into the moderately aging EDM lover, though I dunno if I'd call myself a raver. DrYes described my thoughts quite well. The music rocks, its fun, I love it. I'm glad there is enough space for everyone to do their own thing, cause I love all those other things too.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 am

Buzzfeed, what can we say? http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/rave-kids-in-the-90s-vs-rave-kids-today

Now someone could theoretically do a Burning Man Kids in the 90's vs Burning Man Kids Today, right?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby ironmonkey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Monday:

[media]

Saturday:

[media]
ironmonkey

Burning Since: 2013

Postby DrewDubious » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:45 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:because they like to Hug?

Yeah mang, I miss the old days too.. But, I digress. So burners do or don't like the ravers? What about old man ravers? :D
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby mgb327 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 am

Well crap, I guess I am an "old" raver. I don't look the part in real life, but under the mild-mannered "old white guy" exterior is a freakin' jump around, EDM raving fool. You WILL find me at the big sound camps, 11PM to 4 AM, OT and Root last year were where you would find me. Recently flew out to Vegas for one night "club set" of Norm Cook, AKA Fatboy Slim. An epic 6 hour set, and I flew home. Most of the "younger set" think I am a narc, so I try to be sure my BM tattoo is visible....no narc will be willing to get a tattoo to try and bust people. Party On, Wayne!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby aserendipity » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 am

Yes !
and get right up close to the ones who actually play the music
dont want to be distracted by the ones who are juggling their drinks and positions
aserendipity

Postby mgb327 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:00 am

Norm was awesome, we had the Tao nightclub, only 1500 of us, 11PM-5AM, he was just insane. He personally connected with each individual in the club. The next day he played EDC to 340,000 people, I was on a plane home at that time. It was nuts! Party On, Garth!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby DrewDubious » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 am

lemur wrote:fuck ravers.

we dont need them on the playa...

spectating fucktards can dance all year round but they gotta drive hundreds of miles out to the middle of fuckin nowhere to an art event to do so ?

turn that shitty music down and take off those ugly fuckin boots.

Right, cause... you know. Dancing and music have nothing to do with an art event... or even art at all! It's cool though, nobody who gives the PLUR does so with expectations of receiving the PLUR :wink:
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby lemur » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 pm

if ya want music buy a walk-man.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:08 pm

lemur wrote:if ya want music buy a walk-man.

Those ravers would like some of the ring off your tail.. Best keep count..
unjonharley

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:39 pm

1. Ravers help illustrate to me how things that are considered important and transcendental might really be simple, mundane and even obnoxious.

2. They make me aware that dressing outrageous has no bearing at all on having a working sense of humor.

3. They are fun to watch chase after MVs with no hope of being allowed on.

4. Fresh meat for the cops, so us crusty burgers can go about our nefarious ways.

5. A great target for my inner hostility and outer snarkiness.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby CornMan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm

The same reasons that people loved/hated disco enthusiasts back in the 70's is the same reason people love/hate ravers today. Disco had its time, and it had its place. I'm sure that many of the people who produced the disco music were deeply immersed in the complexities of the tunes and the meanings of the songs, and there were many dedicated dancers and listeners of the genre, but by the time it reached its mass audience, it came across as a bit frivolous. Still, there was love for the disco culture. Electronic music is starting to hit the same critical mass.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 pm

mgb327 wrote:Most of the "younger set" think I am a narc, so I try to be sure my BM tattoo is visible....no narc will be willing to get a tattoo to try and bust people.

You do know you can get extremely realistic fake tattoo's for under $20 right? Same ones they use in the movies, and they'll last days, and through the dust, and look exactly like the real thing. I wouldn't be surprised if there were under-covers using them, it's not brain surgery, and the under-covers are really good.

Don't worry about not looking like an undercover, just worry about having fun. As long as you're not actually trying to do something illegal it shouldn't matter.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby CornMan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 pm

[
mgb327 wrote:Most of the "younger set" think I am a narc, so I try to be sure my BM tattoo is visible....no narc will be willing to get a tattoo to try and bust people.

Don't trust anybody over 30.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy