To camp or not to camp?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

To camp or not to camp?

Postby Paulkeilbach » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:09 am

Howdy,

I've never been to Burning Man before and I don't have any close friends who have either. I'm planning on going this summer and I was wondering if I might ask you all how you would suggest doing it for the first time. I'm planning on packing up my car and driving out there from Southern California. I've read the first-timer's guide and the survival guide. I'm planning on attending an first-timer's orientation that the Los Angeles Regional group puts on in June so hopefully that will familiarize me more with how things work out there. I've also learned a lot already from browsing and reading through the ePlaya.

My question is, should I try and find a camp to join up with so I have people to meet when I get there, or should I go alone and camp in the free-space by myself? Is it really necessary for a beginner to be part of a camp? I feel like I'm generally pretty self-sufficient although I don't pretend like I know the full gravity of the conditions on the Playa. Do people who don't belong to camps typically get to know each other and form a sort of unofficial camp once they get there? My concerns are that I'm hesitant to sign up with a camp of people that I don't know and then to be obliged to them for the week. But also, I do definitely want to meet lots of people and form some good friendships. I like the idea of having people to camp with, knowing my neighbors, having a smaller community on the playa to look out for each other and help each other. Is that something that I can get without a camp? Do some impromptu camps form randomly on the playa? And also, I'm still not totally clear on what the difference is between a theme camp and a non-theme camp. Could anyone spell that out for me a little more clearly?

Thank you for humoring the newbie! I'm sure you all have different opinions about what the best way to do Burning Man is. I'd love to hear them all. Just tell me what you think and why. The more opinions and reasons I see, the better I'll be able to make my decisions.

Thank you!

Love,
Paul
Paulkeilbach

Burning Since: 2013

Re: To camp or not to camp?

Postby lemur » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 am

this has already been answered this year!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 am

with that said.. i just looked around and it didnt seem that the answer for this question pops out at you

everyones experience is different, thats what people will say.

some people like it some ways, others like it other ways.

whether youre in a camp or not... there will be people to meet when you get there... not having people to meet may make things less stressful, because no matter what, there will be people to meet, ..ones that you wont have to locate!

no its not needed, but it can be enjoyable for the newbie to part of a camp

the whole city itself is an unofficial camp, community.. people camping next to eachother react mostly the same as those who are in a theme camp/artgroup/collective.. they act mostly nice.. and are good neighbors.

someone will probably link you to the stag camp..as an unorganized noncommital unofficial camp . id say fuck that shit...

you can build friendships by visitng art and camps no matter where your tent is placed.

you can get that wherever you camp

yes, some do..

a theme camp is a registered camp with burning man who filled out paperwork to get special placement on the map... it can be almost any idea/purpose/stupid/dumb thing.. "i like white pants" camp of 2 people with their van and some chairs. maybe.. possibly... "dance club camp" ..truckloads of musical gear to blast a concert.. and anything between
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 am

It's going to depend on how you socialize and how you want to socialize.

I'm the type who would want to be with a camp, but mostly because I like doing things with people I know. It's not that I wouldn't be able to find cool people or make friends, but it's just easier for me to enjoy the social aspect of Burning Man with at least a group of people I'm familiar with. Maybe I'm just not willing to stray much from that comfort zone...

Ultimately, you can be whomever you want to be out there. Camping alone may be an opportunity to see just how far you can push yourself outside your comfort zone. There's something exciting, but also scary about a blank slate.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 am

I'm the middle zone between BBadger & lemur: I like to camp with friends, but I prefer to run off & play with groups I'm not camped with. That way I have the comfort of a home base with friends to talk to & relax with, and the ability to do stuff with them, but the freedom to explore BRC at my own pace.

There is no one answer for this, there are probably as many answers as there are people on the playa. You need to figure out what you think will make you most comfortable, and then plan to make that work. Doing the first-timers orientation is a great idea, and, who knows, you might meet some people there who feel like a good match to camp with. Or, you may just decide you want to camp alone. It's all good.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 am

I went solo my first year and had a blast. I'm not especially outgoing but I met a bunch of my random neighbors and hung out with them for most of the week. I don't think any of them ever came back to burning man in subsequent years though so I never saw any of them after that. My second year I joined up with a camp and we've been camping together ever since. It's nice to have a group of friends that keep in contact all year and scheme and plan for the next burn.

There's also an option of camping solo but looking around for camps that you like and volunteer at them. That way you can get to know them and see if you'd maybe want to join up with them the next year.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby gaminwench » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am

Go to that orientation!

You'll meet lots of playafolk,
get introduced to camps that originate in your area,
and get scads of first hand info.

If you click with people there,
the camping situation will work itself out.

Good luck.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby TheSherif » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I am no big expert, but here is my personal take - doing things for the community is a key thing that makes the burn feel special. This can be done if you camp alone and then volunteer with other camps, or if you join a theme camp and work with them. Camps are large enough for you to find people you like.
My first year, I joined a camp of about 60 people with 10 of my friends and I actually didn't really get to know most of the people in the camp because I ended up hanging out with my friends most of the time. My second burn I joined the same camp, but most of my friends didn't come and I suddenly met, and became friends with, lots of great people. I would vote for trying to join a camp where you have a good connection to either the people or to what the camp does (say if you love yoga and you are joining a yoga camp).

In any case, going to the regional event is a great idea to meet people!
TheSherif

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Sacred Cow

Postby trilobyte » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm

There's no wrong way to do it - either way, you've got a reasonably good chance of survival :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Milayna » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:40 pm

I think it totally depends on your comfort level. I went solo my virgin year (last year!), but I know that I am only moderately outgoing. What I mean by that is I'm pretty social, but I'm not the type of person who can easily strike up a conversation with a stranger. Knowing that about myself, and reading TONS of eplaya threads, I decided that at least camping with some sort of community may help break the ice for me. I also knew that I did not want to join an official theme camp because I wanted to spend my first year without much obligation. SO I went the in-between route and camped in the village of Hushville. It was great because I had a specific spot to go to when I arrived, but villages don't have infrastructure like theme camps so you don't have to pay dues or do work shifts (although I did end up selling ice with Hushville because I wanted to contribute). For me the biggest advantage was feeling like a part of a smaller community right away because Black Rock City is HUGE. It was easy for me to go introduce myself to other people in the village, because we already had something obvious in common. I also loved that I had no obligations and could just take off anytime I wanted to explore, it was a great way to experience my first burn.

So, like others have said, I think you should honestly consider your personality and what you're comfortable with and make a decision based on that.
Milayna

Postby susieclue » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 pm

My first time I went alone (pre 2000). A single female with NO idea what to expect, I searched the volunteer boards so that I'd have someone to meet and something to do if I got overwhelmed. Overwhelmed is an understatement and this was back when there were only 20,000 of us. Now with 60,000+ you'll be in a Semi-structured City with random neighborhoods and, with all the art that gets put up and taken down, you should expect to be disoriented for at least a little while and definately after Saturday night when the Man burns. Having a place to call home and a group to call family is especially nice when you've been there for 3 or four days and you're starting to wear thin from sheer exhaustion.

If I had it to do over again (you can only be a virgin once), I'd have joined a small theme camp instead of going solo. I did the next best thing, though, and I'm still in touch with people I met that first burn. My advice is to hook up with a small theme camp that has plenty of free time and good interaction with the folks walking by. Share a kitchen, share a shower. Share shade! Yes, be responsible for yourself but that doesn't mean you can't join an established camp or Village. Our themecamps have always been very interactive. We don't camp with our default world neighbors - though we could - as we, too, want new and different experiences. We always welcome virgins.

My 2cents.
susieclue

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey susieclue, how much are the camp dues?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby shLong » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:50 pm

OP, I have/had the same questions about camping.
This is the first I've heard about unofficial camps. I thought you were in either a theme camps, or had to do the walk in camping along the furthest road on the outside of the arc.

I think my buddy and I will find a spot, park and pitch our tents and just hope we're in a spot that isn't already claimed.

I love the community aspect of a theme camp, but I fear the gas alone getting out there is gonna empty our funds and it seems to join a camp you need at least $150 to 400+.

Thanks for asking, op.
I'm still a little confused and anxious about how I'm gonna camp, but I'm sure it'll turn out great none the less :)
shLong

Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

shLong wrote:OP, I have/had the same questions about camping.
This is the first I've heard about unofficial camps. I thought you were in either a theme camps, or had to do the walk in camping along the furthest road on the outside of the arc.

Gosh, no! Those are just the two extremes. :) The 4 major classifications are:

1) "alone" (i.e. you have neighbors anyway) unless you go all the way out to Walk-In Camping . . . but no need.
2) with a friend or 2, or 5
3) a village or group that is free or cheap, primarily social in nature. These camps might still have camp names & activities. Anyone can name themselves whatever they want, including you and your friend. :)
4) Placed theme camps or themed villages. Fees begin usually begin between $50-$100 and climb, depending on the mission of the camp and the amenities. Are there camps that charge hundreds? Well, yes, but $400 is higher than average.

I think my buddy and I will find a spot, park and pitch our tents and just hope we're in a spot that isn't already claimed.

No need to just hope. Greeters (the stop after Gate) will give you a map. Look for theme camp areas on the map and avoid them. Generally, beyond G street is not going to be reserved, there will just be some friendly competition. Talk to your neighbors before you pound rebar. :) If you're going to be next to someone all week you'll want to get along anyway and they might need 5 more feet than you know. Chit-chat and everyone's happy.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Canoe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 am

Savannah wrote:...
1) "alone" (i.e. you have neighbors anyway) unless you go all the way out to Walk-In Camping . . . but no need....

Except, with the larger footprint of the city, depending on where you are on the dial, out towards the outer rows you can easily end up with only distant neighbours, even though you're not into Walk-In camping. So if you did want neighbours (a good safety/security/fun thing), you might want to ensure you have neighbours before you start pounding rebar.
Take a look at the satellite photos of BRC in 2011 and 2012 to see where the 'no/low neighbours' areas are.

One thing I don't like about the larger footprint is this distance resulting in some cases of less community.
The so-called "need" for more space in 2010, when they opened extra rows in the NW, was BS as there was lots of open space left. And not just where I was, as many open places shown on the satellite photos.
I saw so much open space in 2012, between that and the burn crowd, I have a hard time believing their claimed peak population.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:11 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 am

Canoe wrote:
Savannah wrote:...
1) "alone" (i.e. you have neighbors anyway) unless you go all the way out to Walk-In Camping . . . but no need....

Except, with the larger footprint of the city, depending on where you are on the dial, out towards the outer rows you can easily end up with only distant neighbours, even though you're not into Walk-In camping. So if you did want neighbours (a good safety/security/fun thing), you might want to ensure you have neighbours before you start pounding rebar.
Take a look at the satellite photos of BRC in 2011 and 2012 to see where the 'no/low neighbours' areas are.

Well, sure. I was there in 2011 and 2012 (and yes, looked at the satellite photos when I got back--you gotta find yourself!) and I drove all over the event, particularly in 2012. :)

However, I was wagering that most people, even brand new, won't camp "by accident" on the outer streets, and end up lonely. They'll do that because they either like the looks of it (and made sure to bring a bike) or there just isn't room any closer. But in case I've been less than coherent and a new person is reading: the further out you go, the more likely you are to have actual distance from your neighbors, and not all the land will fill in. When you get there and actually feel the distances, make your decision based on the map and how you feel. Stopping a few times to get out of the truck and do some scouting is perfectly normal.

I like the city footprint. If not for my friends' tastes, I would actually camp further out and enjoy the feeling that I had my first year, when the population was much less.

Savannah

Postby Canoe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm

You way's a better way of explaining what happens towards the outside.

I don't like it as it appears to "abandon" some instead of making for community.

I'm conflicted as I prefer being more to the outside for more quiet, but it's a pain going back & forth for refilling water & electrolyte for the bike trailer for gifting drinks. Hoping friends will be back on A or B, so I can stash some water with them for quicker refilling. That or find camps near A & B that will gift water to the cause. I've got 100 lbs. of electrolyte powder, I guess I should really calculate how much water that could use.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby shLong » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 pm

:D
Savannah, you're always so helpful. Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. That post actually took a small load off my shoulders

I do want to have neighbors that I can talk to throughout the week and hopefully make friends with.
The appeal of an actual camp is that they usually can provide some shade, shower and maybe a meal... and therefore make our time there slightly easier. (I'm not quite sure how we'll be doing shade and showers between the two of us if we wing it) . Also, it may be nice having to do some "work", so I'd feel like I'm contributing to the event more.
Either way, perhaps I'm trying to plan too much and not just go with the flow.

It's very nice knowing my real options now, though.
So, again, I thank you, Savannah.

Edit... And as for the satellite pics. Do they take a new shot every year? (talking about Google maps arial view)

Edit 2 (I'm sorry)... I looked at the map, and it posed a new question.
Is there a particular reason why 6:00 towards the outside of the arc is more scarcely populated than say 4:00 or 8:00?
It seems that 6:00 would be better positioning than 4 or 8 (to me)
Last edited by shLong on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shLong

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:21 pm

If you camp on your own, it is worth whatever effort it takes to bring shade shelter. A shower can be rigged up pretty damn easy, there's plenty of discussion on here about that.
Shade, over your tent and with enough extra room to provide a place out of the sun to be, is of utmost importance! I can't imaging going to Burning Man and just being "out there" in that desert with nothing. But you don't have to join someone else's camp to get it. There's lots of ways for you to provide for yourself.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby shLong » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Indeed, "radical self reliance", right? :D

It's just in my personality to gather all available knowledge before I move on something.

We'll be fine. It's just daunting. I'm sure no matter how the playa craps up out we'll be better for it.
shLong

Postby Savannah » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Have you looked at the monkey hut threads? ePlayan Milayna managed to put one up all by herself!! As a virgin (I think). And my campmate & I managed one in 2009. We did a test run in a friend's yard--it gave us the confidence to do it on the playa. There's some measuring and pounding rebar, sure, but the idea of it was scarier than actually doing it. It's about $100 in supplies and an excellent shade. They're everywhere. Very popular for a reason!

http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

If you have to transport PVC on top of a vehicle, I recommend bagging the ends as well as wrapping them tightly together in a bunch of places. Easier still: lay 'em down in a cargo van.

Savannah

Postby shLong » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Awesome. Thanks again. It looks like something were more than capable of doing. :)

Any clue about the 6:00 question I asked in the edit? Perhaps due to restroom availability or something?
It's intriguing to me for some reason.
shLong

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:22 pm

It's close to greeters, so there is the bell all the time, and the headlights shinning into your camp all night.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:22 pm

6:00 is kinda the back alley. You're behind Center Camp, and although it's pretty simple, the roads do a funny curve back there that I always find disorienting in person. The "action" really does tend to be closer to the 2-to-4 and 10-to-8 zones, and along the esplanade of course.
The Center Camp area is surprisingly quiet at night.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby shLong » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Great.
Thanks a lot.
That makes sense now
shLong

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 pm

shLong wrote:Any clue about the 6:00 question I asked in the edit? Perhaps due to restroom availability or something?
It's intriguing to me for some reason.

We were actually placed on 6;00 one year, between the inside of Center Camp & Rods Road (the road that goes around it on the outside) - it was like being in the Industrial outskirts of a city, but you were in the middle of everything with some quick biking. The Porto-potties were still only every-other block back then (2005), so it was a pain to get to one, but, at least where we were, wasn't too bad. We had great neighbors (Recycle Camp, a bike repair camp, Black Rock Hardware, Dept of Mobility...), but it was eerily quiet even during the day.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby shLong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Interesting, Eric.
Thanks for taking the time to share that.

I'm still debating on joining a camp or choosing my own adventure.
The camps sound nice. Having "ready-made" friends, infrastructure (shower, shade, food), purpose (work, duties) and knowing where I'm going before I even leave wisconsin.

But on the other hand, saving money and having unlimited free time also sounds okay.

(I told you earlier how my mind works, lol)

Camp Spank the Monkey offered us a place for $200 plus an optional $100 for their 27 meal plan.
I'm having a little trouble with my playa math, however. Trying to figure out if financially that's a better deal than supplying all my own food and shelter, etc.
I think once the date gets closer I'll want to embrace the principals more and try the "radical self reliance" for my cherry popping experience.
Thanks all for your help and sorry, op, for hijacking.

I do have a off topic question, but I don't want to clutter the forum with a new thread and i couldn't really find a decent answer to this particular question.
How important is having a mountain or BMX style bike when it comes to the tires on the playa surface? I snagged and decorated a skinnytire rroad bike for $10. It didn't occur to me that maybe the dust was looser than I may have thought and the tires may sink in and be useless.....
So, can anybody here perhaps shed some light on whether I'm gonna need a new bike?

(also, I just weaved some El wire lighting in my sombrero, so it's really getting exciting for me :) )
shLong

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:03 pm

unless you're Lance Armstrong your going to want fat bike tires ala beach cruiser...sorry but it's true :(
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:10 pm

At least mount the widest tires you can.

Depends on what you mean by skinny.
I changed the rims on my road bike before I even got on it, for street use.

You want smooth tires too, failing that, snow tires, reverse pattern.
gyre

Next

Return to 2013 Theme Camps