So i will be pregnant for the burn...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: So i will be pregnant for the burn...

Postby misfit » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am

your questions and concerns about all medical should go to 911@burningman.com .
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Dewi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm

HEY!! I'm going to be pregnant on the playa this year too! I'll be about 8 months! I'm sure it will be a good experience. We can be preggers together! I'll PM you and let's keep in touch and plan/coordinate! :)
Dewi

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Club Neu

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 am

Dewi wrote:HEY!! I'm going to be pregnant on the playa this year too! I'll be about 8 months! I'm sure it will be a good experience. We can be preggers together! I'll PM you and let's keep in touch and plan/coordinate! :)

Congratulations! I'll be following your progress on your site!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 am

tatonka wrote:i delivered my 6th daughter in the front seat of our car , so dont worry there is professinals around :)

Going to BM and relying on the professional volunteers to be your safety net is wrong an many many levels. As mentioned before there is no neo unit on playa, and you are hours away from Reno. Forcing a doctor in the field to help, and they would, puts them in quite a pickle liability wise as well. Many docs cannot even afford the malpractice rates associated with birth - so they do not practice it in the default world.

Going into birth premature at 7.5 months is not uncommon especially when stressed. You know your body, your comfort level and are allowed to make your own decisions though.

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby aserendipity » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am

Thank you for giving this rational a response to the point of jeopardy involved !

I just was at a 2 hour birth and really cannot agree with you more.
And for what purpose ?
aserendipity

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 am

aserendipity wrote:And for what purpose ?

gifting ploy?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm

If your water breaks and you're in the open playa, make sure to spread it around on the playa so dunes don't form.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:32 pm

dibbs on the placenta.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Earthwalker » Thu May 02, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm all for reckless, selfish, destructive revelry, but when it comes to kids...I think that's selfish. You're putting the baby's life in jeopardy and the Burn of those around you in jeopardy.

Examples:

1) You go into labor and baby is in breech position. What are you going to do? What if you need a c-section? What if the baby has the umbilical cord wrapped around it's neck? Yes, there are medics there, but there's no guarantee they have any experience with this sort of thing. And they don't have all of the equipment or sanitation they'd have in a hospital.

2) You progress into full labor....you want your baby born and covered in alkali dust full of who knows what? Not sanitary.

3) You could ruin the Burn of campmates because they have to constantly think "crap, where's the preggo? Is she ok?"

I think we can be overly cautious with pregnant women in America, but I personally think it would be ridiculous to go to Burning Man that far along in a pregnancy.

But hey, what do I know. Feel free to attack me on a personal level now. I just think that life is more important that one year at BM.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

Earthwalker wrote:I'm all for reckless, selfish, destructive revelry, but when it comes to kids...I think that's selfish. You're putting the baby's life in jeopardy and the Burn of those around you in jeopardy.

Examples:

1) You go into labor and baby is in breech position. What are you going to do? What if you need a c-section? What if the baby has the umbilical cord wrapped around it's neck? Yes, there are medics there, but there's no guarantee they have any experience with this sort of thing. And they don't have all of the equipment or sanitation they'd have in a hospital.

2) You progress into full labor....you want your baby born and covered in alkali dust full of who knows what? Not sanitary.

3) You could ruin the Burn of campmates because they have to constantly think "crap, where's the preggo? Is she ok?"

I think we can be overly cautious with pregnant women in America, but I personally think it would be ridiculous to go to Burning Man that far along in a pregnancy.

But hey, what do I know. Feel free to attack me on a personal level now. I just think that life is more important that one year at BM.

For a) there is probably an ob/gyn or two available, they might or might not be on shift... There will certainly be EMTsl, however, and my husband delievered not fewer than 11 live births over his career. (None at burningman.)
But I have to think that burningman wont enhance preganancy or birth, and that birth/pregnancy wont enhance burningman.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby aserendipity » Fri May 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Fishy ,
Elegant truth speaker you.
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun May 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Attachments
Moloch.jpg
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Hive-mind is so last year...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 am

yes, but eating babies never goes out of style.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 am

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Sham » Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:yes, but eating babies never goes out of style.

I can hear Pat Roberson now, on his next show reading this quote above. "They eat babies"!
Sham

Postby mdmf007 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Earthwalker wrote:I'm all for reckless, selfish, destructive revelry, but when it comes to kids...I think that's selfish. You're putting the baby's life in jeopardy and the Burn of those around you in jeopardy.

Examples:

For a) there is probably an ob/gyn or two available, they might or might not be on shift... There will certainly be EMTsl, however, and my husband delievered not fewer than 11 live births over his career. (None at burningman.)
But I have to think that burningman wont enhance preganancy or birth, and that birth/pregnancy wont enhance burningman.

There are fabulous OB's on playa, every genre of every discipline is more than likely there, but what I was getting at is that to force them into the position of having to practice on the Blackrock desert with a patient they know nothing about is pretty selfish. So this doctor responds to the plea for help and it goes horribly wrong; perhaps the baby the mother or both expire on playa i guarantee someones going to file suit. I do nott speak for ESD, but can almost guarantee your going to end up in Reno whether you want to go or not post birth. Want to refuse service after birth on playa? Thats totally your right - how about they simply evict you and transport you to Reno?

I agree with you that we are overly cautious in America with pregnant women, at the same time this is no reason to go to the other end of the scale and throw common sense out the window.

and for what its worth there is my 2 cents worth.
mdmf007

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm

I think we are basically in agreement...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby laffingblonde » Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 pm

I took my daughter's mother to our first burn when she was a little over six months pregnant. It was a wonderful experience the three of us wouldn't trade for anything. Are there risks? Of course, but there are risks in anything you do at any time and the possibility of the unlikely is always present. If this is your first wee one you'll find that by five months or so they become increasingly interested and aware of what's going on outside their enclosed world. You know what's going on out there as far as survival is concerned, but extra planning and preparation is a good idea. (I'm sure you've thought of some of this) Main things to think about:

- Talk to your doctor. We were pretty vague, but asked about traveling, camping and spending time in the desert and were basically given the go ahead with caution. We spent almost three months living in our vehicle, traveling, not going to the doctor and everything was fine. You know your body, just pay attention and be overly cautious. If it doesn't feel right as the event gets closer then make the difficult decision not to go. If you're healthy and happy then do it.

- Be overprepared for your personal needs, all of them.

- The community will want to help you. People will feed you and give you drinks and invite you into their air conditioning. Network now to find some medical professionals who are going and where they will be camped. There are many of them. Have back up plans. Be aware of where the ranger / medical stations are. They're there to help everyone who comes despite some apparent opinions that you'll be overburdening them. You won't. It's why they come and volunteer.

- Food. I'm sure you've realized by now how weird food suddenly is. Plan well and be prepared with lots of of snacks and quick & easy things to get into you.

- Transport on the playa. We spent most of the week walking and while we did cover a lot of the city it was slow & we ended up spending a lot of time resting in the shade. Alternative solutions to get you around will let you see a lot more or maybe you're already in a camp with some transportation

- Heat. You're going to be absurdly more susceptible and weak to the heat. We got pretty lucky in the weather and it wasn't as hot as it could've been

- Sleeping arrangements. We only had a little tent and the one thing she still always says about it is how much better a cot would've made things. Comfort's going to be huge for your weary bones

- Participate cautiously. She did a lot and climbed into that reflective box and a lot of other things, but we also stayed back quite a bit and let the craziness swirl around us

- Stay away from the speakers. We went to a lot of shows that summer, but always stayed pretty far away. Low bass can travel through amniotic fluid and damage hearing before they're born. By 7 & a half months this will be an issue as their hearing is already developed / ing. Just be heads up.

- Camp somewhere quiet. Nubs that we were we ended up next to Distrikt and she / baby were pretty sick of that siren by Thursday. Drive by sound cars at 3 am weren't much fun either, but they got rules about that now. We ended up walking out the far side of the city to sit in the quiet for a few hours one sunset to help her calm down and escape the rush for a little bit.

- Watch out for the morons. Most of the dangerous situations I've encountered on playa were created by other attendants who were inebriated / not paying attention. This is your biggest risk. Some moron on a scooter who just got all jazzed up on god knows what and is ripping around blind corners et cetera et cetera. Your animal instincts to danger will be pretty heightened so listen to yourself, should be fine.

- Be prepared to leave. If you're bushed and it's time to go then go. We bailed a day earlier than planned because they'd just had enough. Baby will tell you when it's time to go.

Moral of the story: do what you wanna do & <expletive deleted> the haters. People die every day for uncountable reasons. Death is part of life. Read the back of the ticket and help create your baby. Ours came out pretty different for the decision to go and every child I've met who was there in utero has quite a presence about them. American society is terrified & judgmental as this thread has once again demonstrated. You have a better chance of getting injured by another vehicle on the way to the hospital as everyone's rushing about on a rainy day. Just be ready, have fun and listen to your body.

Message if you want to get in contact with her. She'd love to chat about it.
believe it or not every burner from new york doesn't reside in the chity. there's all this green space up north you may've heard about

the burn didn't blow my mind. it reinforced the way i've always lived my life
laffingblonde

Burning Since: 2010

Postby tatonka » Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 pm

My experience was birthing cabins , me and my ex went to a doc that had cabins on his property , 4 of them. We had used 2 so far , our 1st 2 girls took 8 hrs then 10 hrs for labor. I was there to give her support.
Our 3rd girl was due and my ex- said it started so we fiqured another 8 hours before the birth. So we were relaxeing , we had a 15 mile drive to the cabin . After about a 1 hr and 30 min. she says , she;s comin.
I got her in the car , and she yells now! So I deliever her in the front seat of our 64 pontiac tempest. After I get her up on her moma , I run back to the trunck to get the bag of stuff needed for delievery. Got the little suckshin thing and cleaned out her nose. I was running around trying to find that thing like a chicken with its head cut off. Drove into the doc's office instead and he cut the cord , and the little girl is almost 30 and has always been very impatience. :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:dibbs on the placenta.

[media]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Seriously though -

How is Burningman going to enhance the birth of your child? As the father of four kids, I know my wife was not in the mood for 100 degree days, the dust and all the walking that is associated with BM. Birthing a baby is an awesome experience I just cannot imagine having a good time doing it on a dry lake bed.

Also - if it goes south your only support is going to be a group of volunteer medics and doctors that are now forced to intervene. I would seriously rethink any plans to do so, but it is a free world.

MDMF
mdmf007

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 am

She hasn't logged in since Tuesday, April 2nd. Either she's written us off as a bunch of jerks, or she's so amazed at her own idiocy that she dare not show her face...

I don't know that we have to keep saying the same thing over and over...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm

It's quite likely that the user account and the single post was just playing the troll. They made their post and logged out, never to return. Had it been a genuine person who was interested enough in the community's opinions and suggestions that they'd create an account and take the time to post the question, they'd have returned at some point to read the responses (regardless of whether they replied or not).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm

It was nice of her to get pregnant just for the burn though.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby aserendipity » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Love you dougly
maybe it could become a trend
aserendipity

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 pm

They didn't even mention all the european cannibalism during and after the war.

Far more widespread in russia,
There was a recent case of someone killing their neighbor and making a stew.

http://www.rationalchristianity.net/cannibal.html
Biblical
Mostly your standard organized siege warfare stuff, then you have the metaphysical ...

2 Kings 6:26-29

26 As the king of Israel was passing by on the wall, a woman cried to him, “Help me, my lord the king!”

27 The king replied, “If the Lord does not help you, where can I get help for you? From the threshing floor? From the winepress?” 28 Then he asked her, “What’s the matter?”

She answered, “This woman said to me, ‘Give up your son so we may eat him today, and tomorrow we’ll eat my son.’ 29 So we cooked my son and ate him. The next day I said to her, ‘Give up your son so we may eat him,’ but she had hidden him.”
Last edited by gyre on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:53 pm

mdmf007, doesn't the good samaritan protection still apply in these circumstances of medical assistance?

Fyi, since the german cannibalism by volunteer, (no charges), the forum got a lot of attention.
I don't know how to even classify the gourmet cannibalism.
I haven't spent much time on it, but they seem to be very polite to each other.
gyre

Postby aserendipity » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:47 am

and Good Morning to you Gyre

with the new issues regarding family construction who knows

and then there are all my grown progeny doing baffling next generating

who knows
aserendipity

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:12 am

Good Morning to You

Your family has come up with new forms of reproduction?
That's impressively creative of them.
Or are they inventing new lineal descendacy practices?
Points either way.

It looks like the supreme court is still choosing to ignore unconventional lifestyles though.
Still no recognition for mechanophiliacs and their cars.

There is strong evidence that the family we choose, inside or outside the traditional patrilineal structure, may be just as traditional a form of family, historically speaking.
A recent docko explored this idea, suggesting strong reasons that it is not so unusual or unproductive.
Such ties may be more binding than genetic ones, they propose.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man