An RV at capacity?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

An RV at capacity?

Postby decoherence » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:54 pm

First timer, going with 5 others and staying in a 6-person RV. I don't have a great sense for RV size, but knowing that RV manufacturers are likely pretty liberal with their size quotes, I'm wondering how comfortable or even feasible this is going to be. We'll be with a camp, so there will be shade structures and lounge areas to hang out in - we won't all just be crammed in the RV all day. Still, with 6 people's gear taking up room and sleeping space at a premium, is this likely going to be a workable situation, even if we're just use the RV as a cool place to crash at night (or early morning, as it may be)? Any tips for this kind of setup? Much thanks.
decoherence

Burning Since: 2013

Re: An RV at capacity?

Postby Canoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Five in a six is a little tight, depending on the individuals. If we get rained out, you'll hate it. If not, you're at Burning Man, WTF are you spending your time in the RV for? Get out there and explore and participate. The RV is for resting and recharging your batteries before going out again.

How to manage people in an RV on playa has been well discussed before. Gear, showers, john, costs, "camp rules", etc., all sorts of different ways. Time for you to do some searching and reading, rather than get posts coming in piecemeal and hope you get all the points that have already been discussed and debated before. Without searching and reading, you'll likely miss something important to you and yours.

Good luck...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:33 pm

The high emotional state and wear and tear of the playa will make 5 people in a small space a powder keg wth a short fuse.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby decoherence » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Me + 5 others so 6 in a small space :). Thanks for the input.
decoherence

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Canoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:54 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The high emotional state and wear and tear of the playa will make 5 people in a small space a powder keg wth a short fuse.

I missed that too. I thought it was five going in a six.
You'd better start reading...
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Mojojita » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:10 pm

My best advice is to bring tents for use as storage spaces.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby BBadger » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Pack a tent, mat ($30 Coleman mattress is great), and a sleeping bag. You might decide to sleep outside the RV after a few nights of sharing a bed with one of your buddies, having people coming in at all times of day and night, listening to snoring, feeling sore because you can't stretch out, laying on only one side of your body because you hate breathing into a wall/back of someone else, etc.

If you can, find out who in your group shares your "circadian rhythm" during the burn. Maybe you'll have people who like to nap during the day, others during the night, or some during the morning. You have three sets of 8-hours per day at your disposal. Perhaps you can schedule it so that only 2-4 people sleep in the RV at any given time while the others are out exploring and having fun. No guarantees. Take naps when you can. I'd still bring a tent and other light-weight camping gear as a backup.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm

The two main issues are the water supply and the sleeping arrangement.
When a motorhome says it "sleeps six", that normally means two in the real bed, two on the fold-out sofa, and two on the dinette reconfigured as a bed - usually a too-small-for-adults bed. That's gonna suck, because when people are sleeping there's nowhere to sit, and when people are sitting there's nowhere to sleep.
The RV manufacturers are usually figuring two adults and four kids.

You're all on a common water supply, that anyone of you can easily destroy. It's worst if no one aboard is familiar with RVs, but even if just one of your party isn't familiar, they can blow all of everyone's water and you're all fucked.

It can be done, but those two I'd say are the biggest issues to deal with.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby 9ah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 pm

How many of you are little people?
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 pm

9ah wrote:How many of you are little people?

Dammit! If I can call myself a cripple they can call themselves dwarves...

(it's a little bit liberating saying such an assholish thing...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Here are two threads to help you out, just in case you haven't seen 'em.

Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an RV
viewtopic.php?t=34551

RV Camper's Survival Guide
viewtopic.php?t=54180

I definitely recommend at least one person in your party, possibly two people, bring a tent. Just as an option.

Last year I crashed out in my rideshare's trailer the day we arrived (when my tent was not yet unpacked and we hadn't picked a campsite) and the day before we left, after a decision to delay packing until the sun was less hot, and one last exhausting MOOP sweep. I realize now--since I think about it--that the trailer technically was designed to sleep 6, meaning it may have been the size of your RV. There is a master bedroom (sleeps 2), a couch that folds out into a full-size mattress (2 more), and 2 slightly claustrophobic single bunks clearly aimed at children or the petite. I slept on the fold out couch.

2 people was--of course--easy. 3 would've worked also. At 4 I would've started wanting my own space, but I really love my space in general, so don't mind me. :)

Would I have been happy as 1 of 6 sleeping inside? No, and most people wouldn't.

Whatever you do--know that when you have 6 people in an RV, you need to allow in advance for the fact that you will probably get on each other's nerves (be happily surprised if you do not) and the RV is worth more as transport, AC, fridge, and a place for dust-storm shelter and short, careful showers. It is not as great for many people sleeping at varying times. If you anticipate it and pack for it, it won't be so bad. Surprises are much worse. :)

Exterior shade structures and lounge areas do help; very smart.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 am

Just as an example, this is my rig. It "SLEEPS SIX"!!
Two on a very large & comfortable bed up forward, two on the dinette when folded down into a bed, and two on a fold-down bunk above the dinette.
I'm 5'10 and can't lay flat on either of the extra beds.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby 9ah » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

Are Oompa Loompas or midget better? Dwarves make me think of Snow White.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Milayna » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Bring a tent setup for yourself!! And don't forget rebar or very heavy duty stakes to substitute for the silly little stakes the tent comes with. I think you'll be really grateful that you have a separate place to sleep.
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 pm

9ah wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Are Oompa Loompas or midget better? Dwarves make me think of Snow White.

Ah. Well there is (or certainly was) a divide between midget and dwarf, wherein "midget" (i.e. much smaller than average, but proportioned like normal people) was better than "dwarf" (head and trunk possibly of normal or near normal size, but legs and arms shorter). And typically, I'll champion the underdog. So, much as I find "Little People" to be in some horrible intersection of cutesy and euphemistic, at least it's overriding that split. And, of course, it's not my choice, because those don't describe me. I just happen to like what happened when feminists decided to be "women" (although "wimyn" and "wimmin" are bastard coinages that I find annoying) and homosexuals grabbed hold of "queer" and stood with it, instead of running away from it. And, of course, I use cripple all the time. And I think some people shouldn't be allowed to use it.

And if we're going for children's fantasy movies, there's always Munchkin... Weren't Oompa Loompas some sort of pigmy? (another politically incorrect term, what are the Baka?) I suppose if they are natives of Alaska or Zurich Gnome is possible.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 am

decoherence wrote:First timer, going with 5 others and staying in a 6-person RV. I don't have a great sense for RV size, ...

There's floor plans for rentals & for-sales.
If you find and post the floor plan here, there's likely someone here who's stayed in such a model and can tell you if you've got beds for: two adults and four children; or four adults and two children; or if you're lucky and have one like I had with beds for four adults, plus two adults who were friendly, plus two children if you drop the table down.
Canoe

Postby Major Krash » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:49 am

regardless of bed sizes, the tent idea for yourself is a good one - and everyone on that RV that is not the owner should do the same. You need your own space (to escape to, for back-up in case the RV bails early, for when someone is having sex in the RV, or the RV toilet backs up, or to store your stuff, or for when YOU want to have sex, etc, etc.) There should also be communal shade space that is NOT the RV awning (that should never come out - winds come up suddenly and it is likely to be damaged).

6 people will quickly fill up the grey and black tanks, unless draconian rules are enforced or you arrange for several pump-outs in advance (plan on showering elsewhere).

They can be nice to escape to in dust storms, or spend a few hours together in the AC during the afternoon (say lunch), but basically an RV in a group is just a way for the group to travel together and carry some stuff - no way 6 people can stay in an RV together for a week without serious issues developing (unless you all live together or have done the RV thing together before)

also, be sure the rules are spelled out before hand...how will cooking be handled? Who can use the master bed (and for what)? Bathroom/shower? AC (which means generator, which on a rental usually means more $$$)? What if someone has to leave for home? What happens if there is extra money due when the RV is turned in (who pays)? Who pays the deposit, and what happens to it after?
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:24 am

And what is your plan for disposing of the body of the person in your group who thinks they are at home when they take their shower, then leaves the water running as they brush their teeth, then does everyone a big favor and washes all the dishes with the sink running full blast the whole time, running all your fresh water into the now-overflowing "grey" tank?
Disposal of human remains is a logistic issue that must be very well thought out.
Captain Goddammit

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 am

Do a test!

Have everybody come over to your place and everyone has to stay in the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen for the whole weekend without TV, cell phones, or internet.

Now you'll have some Idea of what we're talking about. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Do a test!

Yeah! Where's that link to those Burning Man "simulation at home" spoofs?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Ha! Just build a FIGJAM cooler or ten, leave out the water and filter, and fill with playa dust.
Captain Goddammit

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:And if we're going for children's fantasy movies, there's always Munchkin... Weren't Oompa Loompas some sort of pigmy? (another politically incorrect term, what are the Baka?) I suppose if they are natives of Alaska or Zurich Gnome is possible.

How about "fun-sized"?
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

My fetish guage just registered off the charts.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sham » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:39 pm

I see capacity on tents, and I know that a 6 person tent is comfortable for 2 people.
Remember the following. People start to really stink after a few days on the playa. Use the public toilets whenever possible. Keep pee bottles handy. Shower outside. Cook outside. Sleep outside in a tent. Use your RV for storing supplies.
Sham

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:21 pm

IMO you have way too many people for that vehicle. Unless everyone already gets along like a house on fire, is incredibly easy-going, and all that nonsense you'll probably be experiencing some severe camp drama by the end of the week. You may want to consider a secondary shade structure and spillover tents, for when campmates want or need privacy and space. That little bit of extra room may cost you a bit more $$ and time to set up, but is well worth it for the peace of mind and stress reduction it will bring.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:15 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

My fetish guage just registered off the charts.

Woo-Hoo! I still have it!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Shelter & Camping