First Burn-L.A. Native

First Burn-L.A. Native

Postby beerock28 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi everyone!

I'll be attending my first burning man event this year. Kinda scared (haha). I've heard good things about the event and I'm interested to see for myself what's all the hoopla is about. I've met some Burners and I thought they were pretty cool. I hope I have a good time there amongst everyone. my question is were any of you burners scared or nervous your first time going there? Is that feeling even normal? I have a really close friend who's setting me up so that things will go smoothly for me going financially(I'm a starving student), and socially since I don't know what to expect.
beerock28

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Not a member of a camp quite yet

Re: First Burn-L.A. Native

Postby TT120 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello and welcome!

You'll probably survive just fine but you should read the survival guide here: http://survival.burningman.com/ a few times.
It's basically a week long camping trip in a harsh desert environment. But it can also be the best adventure you've ever had.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby jkisha » Mon May 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello and welcome, and of course it's something a lot of people experience. All of us were new to the event at least once - it's a big trip in an extreme environment. But do the basic research (Survivor's Guide, First Timer's Guide, checking out the boards) and ask a few questions, and you'll most likely survive.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 pm

beerock28 wrote:Hi everyone!

I'll be attending my first burning man event this year. Kinda scared (haha). I've heard good things about the event and I'm interested to see for myself what's all the hoopla is about. I've met some Burners and I thought they were pretty cool. I hope I have a good time there amongst everyone. my question is were any of you burners scared or nervous your first time going there? Is that feeling even normal? I have a really close friend who's setting me up so that things will go smoothly for me going financially(I'm a starving student), and socially since I don't know what to expect.

Hell yes, it's normal to be nervous. I was really scared before my first Burn. I knew how to camp, had a good attitude, and didn't have ludicrously high standards of comfort (a tent is good enough for me) . . . but I was traveling with 18 strangers--and one acquaintance--from work. That was very stressful for me, and I was teary-eyed all the way to the drop-off point. :) I was more shy then. I've improved a bit.

I still get a BIT nervous before every Burn, 'cause anything can happen. :D

If you're shy, read this.

Tips for Shy People at Burning Man
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094

If it's other things you're worried about, check around a bit, and if you can't find it with google keyword + eplaya, ask.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ratty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:46 am

Hey, It's good to be alittle scared. I still get pangs of apprehension while I'm preparing and when I finally set out. That's kind of weird since it's the place I most want to be. I camp alone and am WAY over prepared.

Better than the act, better than the memory, 'The apprehension'. (The Simpsons)
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Return to Introduce Yourself!