Participant, Spectator, Etc.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Participant, Spectator, Etc.

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It's true that the only way to sleep in a tutu is to be very drunk. otherwise, too uncomfortable.

TRUE. :lol:

BBadger wrote:That doesn't mean, however, that these same people don't want to engage and interact; they're often just shy or intimidated by it all. Many people on the streets need an opening in which to participate or interact. Approaching a small camp bar can be a big step, like being the only customer in a new restaurant where everyone is watching you eat. That interaction can be daunting; so you have to make the first step and draw them in. Make them feel welcome, don't just expect that a sign and you staring down people will draw a crowd.

A thousand times, yes. Even a slightly bigger camp can be intimidating. I thought Revofuckinglution was a great looking bar camp, but I actively got nervous as I approached, and turned right back around. Now--that was my own damned issue, but good light & welcoming faces (or words) can make every difference. Signs, too. (They had a great sign; it's what drew me forward in the first place).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I sit in the shade and say "I need you to come over here for a minute!"

Then do something nice for them. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 pm

The quickest way to get me to not do something is to tell me I have to, the quickest way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't.

There is no "judgement" in Radical inclusion but there is all, can, cordial, could, iconic, idol, laud, liaison, soar, social, solid, soul, union, unison, and us.

There is also accusal, acid, aloin, anal, ado, adios, acarus, anus, ascarid, asocial, cad, callous, canular, canard, causal, clod, cold, colic, con, crud, culls, dinosaur, dins, disannul, disunion, dour, draconic, draconian, drain, droll, dull, illusion, incision, insular, ironic, lacunal, liar, load, locular, loud, nadir, nil, nod, nor, nos, null, old, raids, rails, rains, rancid, rid, roil, ruin, sad, sardonic, scald, scar, scorn, scold, scud, sin, slain, slid, slur, snail, soil, sour, suicidal, unload, unroll, unsocial, and urinal.

It all depends on your perspective and what you're looking to find and or mold. Everyone has worth and potential even if you can't see it.

Elevating oneself at the expense of others brings everyone down.

If wearing costumes and conforming to some stereotypical notion of what constitutes a "burner" is the litmus test than call me a spectator but please call me loudly because I probably won't be able to hear you way down here.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby CornMan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Savannah wrote:[
A thousand times, yes. Even a slightly bigger camp can be intimidating. I thought Revofuckinglution was a great looking bar camp, but I actively got nervous as I approached, and turned right back around. Now--that was my own damned issue, but good light & welcoming faces (or words) can make every difference. Signs, too. (They had a great sign; it's what drew me forward in the first place).

This got me thinking. A good way to get shy people in the door is to offer something additional that does not require person to person interaction. Burntown's rope walk is a good example of this. Everybody feels more than welcome to partake in climbing it, and nobody hogs it all to themselves. A maze entrance to a pub could be a fun icebreaker. Maybe our camp's pachinko machines might serve to this same purpose.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:55 pm

what a great conversation..........thank you all!!!

Bravo!
Brava!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby tamarakay » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Great conversation. Ken and I head out every year to find small camps to play with but believe it or not, we are shy. It's hard to tell on a lot of camps what is open space, do they want us here etc. having a greeter is extremely helpful for us shy types. We get back to camp and our daughter and friends tell us about finding this or that camp that did all these great things. They don't seem to have our issues.

This year I am determined to get beyond myself.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:02 pm

The whole "spectator" stigma really worried me, before my first burn. My first night on the playa, we experienced near freezing temperatures and gale force winds. Buck naked and armed with a roll of duct tape, I managed to save our camp from complete destruction. That next morning, I woke up, opened a beer and finished sewing my kilt...and in that brief moment of complete bliss, it occurred to me... "Just do what needs to be done, and don't overthink it."
I've never really thought about HOW to participate, and each year is different. Some years, I've spent the entire week behind a bar...others, anywhere and everywhere in BRC. Each year seems to be dictated by inspirations of the last.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm bringing two rubberbands, and two cabinet knobs. Thanks TK for that video. Laughing my ass off can be a simple thing some times. It's FUN. I try to bring a few good laughs in my bag of tricks. I think appreciation is a form of participation. Let people know you love their ideas, their sounds, their art! I don't dress up, but do enjoy making a new hat each year.
Being shy is not a problem, it's just how things are. I find being playful is a good way to get around the playa. I agree with Tom, don't overthink it. Those smaller perfect moments are the memories for me that I wish I could express better. Those moments where you fit perfectly in your skin, and feel like you've arrived. "You had to be there" is something I think we all understand now.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Ano » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I feel like it's sometimes tough with smaller camps to tell if they're open to visitors or not. I'm more comfortable with it now, though, but it is daunting to walk up to what appears to be a tight-knit group of friends camping and sit on the seemingly private couch. And it always can feel weird, at first, to get served alcohol for free. Some places feel pretty unwelcoming from the get-go, too, with a closed facade and a small door.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 pm

A sandwich board with camp name and "OPEN" would probably make a great difference.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TT120 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 pm

I had a hard time telling if it was an "open" camp as well. That could have been partially my fault though as I tend to mind my own business in the default world. I think this year, I'll try just going into an interesting looking camp whether or not it looks open and just see if I can make some friends or get booted out.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby CornMan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:32 pm

TT120 wrote:I had a hard time telling if it was an "open" camp as well. That could have been partially my fault though as I tend to mind my own business in the default world. I think this year, I'll try just going into an interesting looking camp whether or not it looks open and just see if I can make some friends or get booted out.

Good on you. The worst that can happen is they say, "Excuse me sir, but..."
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Elorrum wrote: I think appreciation is a form of participation.
Let people know you love their ideas, their sounds, their art!

Good spectators.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:30 am

Remember, what may be considered "RUDE" in the default world, isn't necessarily so in BRC. If they seem disturbed, by your unannounced visit, just say "FUCK EM" and move on. Some camps expect to attract people, but just don't know how. And, some of those camps provide the best memories.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby tatonka » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 pm

My buddy had a idea for a outfit for himself , but after watching alot of the vids he see's alot of people in regular clothes. So he just wants to be comfortable , me on the other hand am very comfy in a loin cloth. Wore one at Powwow's and Rendevous for many years so Im comfy in one if its warm.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Elliot » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Last year... for the first time I encountered a fellow who cheerfully admitted he had never heard of BM until a few days prior. He had simply stumbled into a ticket from some buddies and gone with them. He threw a cigarette butt on the ground right in front of me.

Methinks this sort of "participation" is a Bad Thing.

This is why I am a big fan of dust storms and other features that tend to filter such people out.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:44 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to Politics & Philosophy, since I think that's a better fit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Elliot wrote:Last year... for the first time I encountered a fellow who cheerfully admitted he had never heard of BM until a few days prior. He had simply stumbled into a ticket from some buddies and gone with them. He threw a cigarette butt on the ground right in front of me.

Methinks this sort of "participation" is a Bad Thing.

You know what is also a bad form of participation -- or lack thereof in this case? Not informing someone that he/she is MOOPing, especially when the context of the person's ignorance should give them the benefit of the doubt.

We all know that putting out cigarette butts on the ground, and leaving them, is usually not an issue back in the default world (unless you're in Singapore). If that guy did indeed receive a ticket a few days prior, he may not have even known that it was such a big issue. If anything, the people who brought the guy with them are at fault for not ingraining the rules in his head -- like parents and their children. As they did not, the onus is now on you set the person straight.

Now if that guy said he didn't care or didn't think it was an issue, then there's a problem, and the guy is a qualified douchebag. That wasn't mentioned, however. I do hope you picked up the butt and tossed it as well.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 pm

BBadger wrote:We all know that putting out cigarette butts on the ground, and leaving them, is usually not an issue back in the default world (unless you're in Singapore).

Actually no one knows that.
It's just as acceptable on the playa as anywhere else.
Only the morons that think a cigarette magically vanishes the second it leaves their hand, think it's okay.

The rest of us have to pick up after these trash.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 pm

All the more reason to inform the person.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 am

Of course.

Reminds me of a story of a writer meeting with someone at a long table in their home.
Noting ashtrays spaced down the table, he asked if they minded if he smoked.
They preferred he didn't.
Later he asked about the ashtrays, spaced every so often down the table.
"Those are for the people that don't ask."
gyre

Postby bluesbob » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I prefer "hooligan".
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy