Nine Principles

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Nine Principles

Postby dw-net » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 am

Not to belabor the obvious, trademarking Burning Man, the Man, Black Rock City etc.
is by definition of "trademark", commodifying
Black Rock City, the Man, Burning Man etc.
dw-net

Re: Nine Principles

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:23 am

All sad and bent out of shape because you can't use them as you please? Outraged over a policy that's been there all along but you've only discovered this week because of the reminder that went out to theme camps and the blogger made a stink about?

I don't know, I have a hard time buying the argument that Burning Man is destroying the principle of decommodification by telling people there are limits and guidelines to the ways they can commodify their intellectual property.

It's also worth pointing out that in recent months the policy has opened up somewhat to allow the use of the man and other trademarks in fundraiser perks. Previously it was only okay to use it for straight up gifting (as in playa gifts/schwag), nothing where money changed hands was allowed.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Eight Principles

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:36 am

While we're at it, why don't we bump it down to eight principles because the tickets aren't free? I expect all the infrastructure of the city to be available to me but I want to be radically included without having to pay. Otherwise it's not a gift!

Or does that make it seven? My entitlement is clouding my meagre math skills...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:43 am

BM is a business. It may be your cult, but it is still a business with one glorious leader, who is not you. When it is a nonprofit, it will be the same. Everyone knows from a cult the rules do not apply to the leadership. That's why they are the leaders!

(all in good jest...)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 pm

IT IS NOT A CULT!

it is occult.

how zat for zen...
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Savannah » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Trademarking the Burn and defending the trademark regularly (and proving that you do) prevents it from being used to sell soft drinks, or bullets, or condoms, or Justin Beiber's cologne.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:27 pm

As a wise man once said:

lemur wrote:WILL SOMEONE BRING DW-NET SOME WATER ?

I THINK DW-NET IS GETTING CRANKY.. . I THINK.. MAYBE DEHYDRATION IS SETTING IN..

ANYONE GOT THAT WATER??

OH OK.. WELL LETS GO, COME ON.. WE'RE GOING TO THE MED TENT DW-NET..THEYLL TAKE CARE OF YOU AND WE WILL ALL BE HERE BACK AT CAMP FOR YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK..

DONT FEEL BAD.. IT IS NORMAL FOR PEOPLE TO GET CRANKY WHEN THEY ARE GETTING DEHYDRATED..

AND IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYBODY..
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:48 am

No, you just don't understand how trademarks work.

Like copyright, trademarking is not a form of commodification. It is a protection of rights, protecting the brand against unauthorized exploitation. However, unlike copyright, a trademark protection is not implied and violations must be actively pursued or the brand becomes genericized and usable by everyone. Without trademarking the Burning Man brand, the event and all names/symbols/etc. would be open for commercial exploitation and commodification.

Now if you want to bitch and moan about BMOrg using the brand name to further commercial interests that's another matter. As it stands, however, you're attacking the wrong thing.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby dw-net » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! Too bad so much of it is irrelevant to my observation. I am neither dehydrated, bent out of shape nor in disagreement with BMOrg's prerogative to trademark whatever it likes, up to and including Larry's hat (if it weren't most likely already trademarked by J.B. & Co.). I disagree that trademarking is not commodification. You're welcome to your point of view... I won't even accuse you of being cranky.
I do feel that it is a tad hypocritical of BMOrg to promote ideals and principles that it would like all to adhere to when it does not always do so itself.
I therefore reserve the same privilege for myself... and you too!
BMIcon4.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw-net

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:12 am

Honestly, who cares about your opinion if you're not going to explain your reasoning.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:13 am

Don't worry, it's okay if you're sad and cranky about your recent discovery of policies that have been in place since the LLC was formed.

Regardless of whether it's right or wrong, regardless of whether people agree with your belief or not, you're entitled to your opinion on the matter.

You're also welcome to exercise the same rights and privileges. Go out there and create something of your own and trademark it, and then set guidelines on how others may make use of your trademarks.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Politics & Philosophy