A couple more virgins: American & Kiwi

A couple more virgins: American & Kiwi

Postby kiwiburner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi all,

We're newbies (to Burning Man anyway) & will be travelling across the US for a few months from August. So far BM is the only thing we have set in stone so at least we have our priorities right :) We'll be pulling a 1950's caravan (camping trailer) but as it's the beginning of a long trip we'll perhaps have some slightly different challenges to others e.g. we can't collect up too much stuff that we won't be using the rest of the trip. We're also hoping we won't be picking out too much souvenir playa dust from various parts of both our persons & our vehicles for the next couple of months of our trip but that may just be inevitable...

We've done a lot of reading online & have spoken to people who have been so we're not totally unprepared but still have plenty to do before now and then. Still figuring out where we can best offer assistance (probably in setting up or cleaning up as we're not particularly arty).

Looking forward to what we are sure will be an awesome experience.

Cheers!
kiwiburner

Burning Since: 2013

Re: A couple more virgins: American & Kiwi

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Welcome.

You might connect with a camp through the NZ regional or friends and family in your social networks. Some camps and villages welcome international participants understanding they can't participate much before the event. But being able to stay later, to Wed or Thurs to clean up, especially self contained in a trailer, has a lot of value and would be a special experience you could definitely write home about. You also might connect with other international participants who are interested in traveling onward after the event.

Unless you set up some sort of clothes changing and boot dropping tent leading to the trailer, it will be dusted. If you are renting/borrowing a car, there are many threads on dust and cars.

Enjoy your experience!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm

kiwiburner wrote:Hi all,

We're newbies (to Burning Man anyway) & will be travelling across the US for a few months from August. So far BM is the only thing we have set in stone so at least we have our priorities right :)

You sure do. Welcome, Kiwiburner!

Most international travelers will (and should) see more than one great thing when they visit, but yeah--this event means a lot to many people, so as you've probably seen, there is definitely some . . . sensitivity encountered when the Burn is mentioned like just any-old-thing on someone's long and cavalier checklist. (There's a thread where everyone fainted over the idea of an overseas traveler spending like . . . 3 1/2 days at the Burn, and then leaving early for Vegas. :lol: )

We'll be pulling a 1950's caravan (camping trailer) but as it's the beginning of a long trip we'll perhaps have some slightly different challenges to others e.g. we can't collect up too much stuff that we won't be using the rest of the trip. We're also hoping we won't be picking out too much souvenir playa dust from various parts of both our persons & our vehicles for the next couple of months of our trip but that may just be inevitable...

It is inevitable. :D That dust is as fine as baby powder, and the wind just hurls it at you.

We've done a lot of reading online & have spoken to people who have been so we're not totally unprepared but still have plenty to do before now and then. Still figuring out where we can best offer assistance (probably in setting up or cleaning up as we're not particularly arty).

Looking forward to what we are sure will be an awesome experience.

Cheers!

Fierce cleaners and strong hands are great things. Staying late would probably be a great help to many a camp. Have you been to the 2013 Theme Camps forum?
viewforum.php?f=323

The list of theme camps (a much larger list) is also up on the main site. Look for compatible groups and email a few regarding your skills & talents (but be selective).
http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/th ... ml?yy=2013
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby susieclue » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 am

Hi Newbies!

I'm camp mom for the Black Rock Fun Jet Camp and a long time burner. When I first ventured forth to the desert, I didn't really know what to expect. Granted, that was 14 years ago when the BM population was approaching 20,000, but it was a bit overwhelming, to say the least.

Because of that, our camp is set up to receive participants from all over the world. We are not a plug and play camp, by any means, but we are set up to assist Virgins coming in for their first or so playa experience. In our themecamp, we take people on vacation all around our Wheel of Destination. It's silly, it's goofy, and it's slightly twisted. It's also a great way to meet people because they come to you.

The themecamp experience can be a family affair or a free for all, depending on the camp. Ours is a drug free/drama free zone. We have been known, however, to imbibe in the delights of boat drinks and bloody Marys at odd hours because it's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

What you see when you pull into camp, is a shaded conclave, 30'x30' made up of 4 10x20 covered carports set in a square. The hole in the middle becomes our covered hot water shower area, very private and, for the desert, luxuryous. One end of the structure contains the kitchen, another houses Sweden and England, another serves as the airport entrance and waiting room and the fourth contains Pirates Cove, the Jungle, and Paris. In the front of the structure is Memory Lane, the Inner City, and we may erect a stripper pole and call it Amsterdam, in honor of our English guest, Bloody Mary (named after the drink), who uses the pole as her gym. She and Monkey Pot Pie, who met in camp several year ago, are renewing their vows so we'll be doing a wedding, feast and reception in their honor this year. I digress.

At the back of the camp is our BBQ, the generator, the bicycle corral (we bring them for those in need), and our individual RVS, tents, and the like. We have full shade, chairs, tables, the freezer!, and yes,even the kitchen sink. We bring three 55 gallon water barrels for showering and wash water (the core group is there for 12 full days. You're welcome to stay till Tuesday, too,, and we can hook you up with folks wanting to band together to get to/from the playa.)

The way our group works is that we each put in $xx (we can't post camp dues in the public forum) to help cover the costs of the infrastructure (storage, transportation, and fuel for the event) which also covers all of your food for the time you're on playa, all your soft drinks, plates, forks, knives - bring your own cup for bar hopping, a bicycle, all the coolers for the kitchen, all the cooking equipment (we shop and haul but you cook for yourself), a hot water shower, use of a bicycle - please bring a lock, chairs, and shared use of the 15+passenger artcar! You bring your own personal drinking water and your own alcohol.

So that's an option for you. Our core members vet all the newbies ahead of time to try to make sure that we'd be a good fit. We're all good people in the default world, tolerant, fun loving, and only slightly twisted. (Think of the logo from the movie Airplane). Like the Motto for the Black Rock Fun Jet says "Always Fun. Slightly Twisted".

If you're interest, send a reply.

Susieclue
susieclue

Postby kiwiburner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Welcome.

You might connect with a camp through the NZ regional or friends and family in your social networks. Some camps and villages welcome international participants understanding they can't participate much before the event. But being able to stay later, to Wed or Thurs to clean up, especially self contained in a trailer, has a lot of value and would be a special experience you could definitely write home about. You also might connect with other international participants who are interested in traveling onward after the event.

To complicate things, we're actually living in London for the next 2 months but looking to connect with one of the networks here. We're new to this & don't want to commit to the point of missing the experience but we're also happy to pitch in & pull our weight so will look at options over the next few weeks.

some seeing eye wrote:Unless you set up some sort of clothes changing and boot dropping tent leading to the trailer, it will be dusted. If you are renting/borrowing a car, there are many threads on dust and cars.

Enjoy your experience!

Thanks, have been readying up the threads on attempting to keep out the dust. It's our car & while we're not going to be precious about every speck of dust, we also don't want to screw it. We have around 10 days to get from Mesa, AZ up to Blackrock (via Pacific Coast Highway) so there will be a bit of time to get some solutions together.
kiwiburner

Postby kiwiburner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Savannah wrote:
You sure do. Welcome, Kiwiburner!

Most international travelers will (and should) see more than one great thing when they visit, but yeah--this event means a lot to many people, so as you've probably seen, there is definitely some . . . sensitivity encountered when the Burn is mentioned like just any-old-thing on someone's long and cavalier checklist. (There's a thread where everyone fainted over the idea of an overseas traveler spending like . . . 3 1/2 days at the Burn, and then leaving early for Vegas. :lol: )

Yeah, have seen that and understand (and accept) that everyone has different priorities/goals in Burning Man & in life for that matter. When I wrote the intro above I was aware that we'd probably come across as tourists but aren't most first timers to some extent? Few of those we've spoken to have said it was exactly what they expected first time. So we're going with no expectations - love it or hate it (which is unlikely!), we're going to get out & put in as much as we can.

Oh, and we fly in to Vegas initially so we won't be cutting BM short to go there ;)

Savannah wrote:Fierce cleaners and strong hands are great things. Staying late would probably be a great help to many a camp. Have you been to the 2013 Theme Camps forum?
viewforum.php?f=323

The list of theme camps (a much larger list) is also up on the main site. Look for compatible groups and email a few regarding your skills & talents (but be selective).
http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/th ... ml?yy=2013

Have started looking but it's quite a list & (like many virgins it seems) we want to thoroughly research before committing. Thanks for your tips, much appreciated :)
kiwiburner

Postby kiwiburner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 pm

susieclue wrote:Hi Newbies!

I'm camp mom for the Black Rock Fun Jet Camp and a long time burner.
If you're interest, send a reply.

Susieclue

Thanks Susie, we'll check it out :)
kiwiburner

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Hey susieclue, how much are the camp dues?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

I call be on susieclue sorry. Never have heard of this camp nor seen it. Jeff who is a 13 year vet has never heard of it as well. ANYWAYS....

We have room in our camp if you like. We are a 25 person camp. Blood Bath and Beyond. We are a Bloody Mary bar. No camp dues, on,y donations of vodka and mix as your due. Communal kitchen , shade and shower. Have to bring your own water. We also have a geni to use. Sound system, lights fun fun fun. Email me if you are interested. Both me and my husband Tom servo are highly active on the boards here.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm

jkisha wrote:Hey susieclue, how much are the camp dues?

We're asking camps not to post their fees, but interested folks can PM Susie for details.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 pm

So, do children in New Zealand grow up on Fat Cat and Fishface, or are they just for weirdoes?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby kiwiburner » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 am

tattoogoddess wrote:I call be on susieclue sorry. Never have heard of this camp nor seen it. Jeff who is a 13 year vet has never heard of it as well. ANYWAYS....

Yep, tend to agree... 11 posts & they're all the same. Not suggesting this is the case but is there any sort of vetting to stop anyone setting up a fake camp & scamming people out of fees? Of course, this is the Internet so it couldn't possibly be used for anything dodgy... :)

tattoogoddess wrote: We have room in our camp if you like. We are a 25 person camp. Blood Bath and Beyond. We are a Bloody Mary bar. No camp dues, on,y donations of vodka and mix as your due. Communal kitchen , shade and shower. Have to bring your own water. We also have a geni to use. Sound system, lights fun fun fun. Email me if you are interested. Both me and my husband Tom servo are highly active on the boards here.

Thanks, much appreciated! We're still tossing up between solo/orphan and joining a camp. It seems to be the most common virgin dilemma from looking through the threads. On the one hand, there are a lot of positives to joining a camp but we expect we'll be out & about a lot, trying to take it all in so don't want to feel we're letting anyone down if we're not around camp that much. We've travelled a fair amount & have stayed in shared situations before so the concept it not too foreign. We've had some great experiences & some not so great - it generally boils down to the people though.
kiwiburner

Postby kiwiburner » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:So, do children in New Zealand grow up on Fat Cat and Fishface, or are they just for weirdoes?

Had to Google them to find out who you were talking about so I may need to go for answer b) ;) Having said that, we don't spend a lot of time listening to Children's music so may not be the best to ask. I've heard my nephews & nieces talking about Colin the Kiwi & The Wiggles but that's about the extent of my pre-school musical knowledge :D
kiwiburner

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 am

I'd say they are elementary school level. It's hard to think that anyone might buy a song about a fly laying maggot eggs for their toddlrr.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:55 am

Go with a camp your first year for sure.
tattoogoddess

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm

We have a special designated area for Aussies and Kiwis. Can't have them mingling with the regular folk.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby kiwiburner » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 pm

bluesbob wrote:We have a special designated area for Aussies and Kiwis. Can't have them mingling with the regular folk.

Canada? :)
kiwiburner

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 pm

kiwiburner wrote:
bluesbob wrote:We have a special designated area for Aussies and Kiwis. Can't have them mingling with the regular folk.

:lol:

Savannah

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm

kiwiburner wrote:

No Iowa lol
tattoogoddess

Postby kiwiburner » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Well, we've made it as far as Fallon & ready for the last push in the morning :) It's been a pretty stressful couple of weeks thanks to being screwed around by a shop in Mesa who managed to cook the rebuilt engine in our car & rather than throw it all in, we ended up going to an auction on Sat & bought ourselves another vehicle. Not quite the same having our little 50's camping trailer pulled by a Tahoe rather than a 50's Caddy but at least we'll be there, albeit a little later than planned! Looking forward to getting to the play tomorrow!
kiwiburner

Return to Introduce Yourself!