First time looking for Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

First time looking for Camp

Postby spearce » Sun May 12, 2013 10:16 am

Hello everyone,

first time burner here, and I am looking for a awesome camp experience to join. I am out going, will try anything once, like to help out, definitely don't mind a party, and like to participate. I just want to get the most out of my first time at burning man. If anyone has any camp suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate any information.

spearce

Burning Since: 2013

Re: First time looking for Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

No one is going to offer camp suggestions. This is an early test of radical self-reliance. Go to the main site and look at last year's list of placed themecamps. Find some that appeal and contact them. Do a nice email, saying what you've got to give and what you like about what they offer. There's also other threads in this sub-forum. And "I like to party" isn't really much of a recommendation. It sounds like you're going to run off and enjoy yourself, while the rest of the camp works.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Sun May 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Spearce. You're going to be a lot better at picking your ideal camp than we will! :)

Look at this forum, and where Fishy suggested. Join your regional group on the main site under "Regionals" (top right of the home page). Look for Burners in your state or town on Facebook. Read descriptions. When a camp's goals seem inspiring and funny and fun, write them a PM or an email telling them why you like them, and what skills you have to offer. Be specific. Can you build? Bartend? Cook for a group? Do you teach a skill? Have a lot of training in one area? . . . It's a little like writing a cover letter for a job, only the results will be more amusing.

It is much more likely for an individual to reach out to a camp than a camp to look for individuals. So if you're not receiving PMs based on the above post, don't take it personally. Seek out the camp of your dreams. And remember--theme camps are optional. You can camp solo or with a friend, and just visit theme camps all day long if you wanna.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby International Incident » Sun May 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Savannah wrote:Hi Spearce. You're going to be a lot better at picking your ideal camp than we will! :)

Look at this forum, and where Fishy suggested. Join your regional group on the main site under "Regionals" (top right of the home page). Look for Burners in your state or town on Facebook. Read descriptions. When a camp's goals seem inspiring and funny and fun, write them a PM or an email telling them why you like them, and what skills you have to offer. Be specific. Can you build? Bartend? Cook for a group? Do you teach a skill? Have a lot of training in one area? . . . It's a little like writing a cover letter for a job, only the results will be more amusing.

It is much more likely for an individual to reach out to a camp than a camp to look for individuals. So if you're not receiving PMs based on the above post, don't take it personally. Seek out the camp of your dreams. And remember--theme camps are optional. You can camp solo or with a friend, and just visit theme camps all day long if you wanna.

Yep. That's exactly what i did a couple of years ago. It was VERY scary writing to Doc Pyro the first time. But it worked out well...
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby spearce » Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
spearce

Burning Since: 2013

Postby susieclue » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 pm

We're a no drugs/no drama theme camp looking for new campmates this year. We're especially set up for visitors from afar and make it our mission to find virgins to help guide. We have a full theme camp, kitchen, art car, and hot shower. And freezer. (RumChadas are best served cold). And bicycles. And chairs, and night lights, and generator. We do charge to camp with us to offset the infrastructure cost but we're not a plug and play camp. Our ages range from 27 - 60+ and have been on playa for 14 years down to 2013 virgins.

If you want to know more, send us a line. Individuals reach out for camps but camps also reach out for individuals.
susieclue

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 pm

International Incident wrote: It was VERY scary writing to Doc Pyro the first time. But it worked out well...

It's scary writing to Doc Pyro every time, isn't it?
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Doing anything to/with/for Doc is scary...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 pm

The trick it to throw the absinthe in the other direction and take care of whatever business you have while he's doing the "oh my precious" thing.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

That was a wonderful mental image. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:38 am

You people offend me.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Hey susieclue, how much are the camp dues?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:You people offend me.

Uh oh... that's definitely scary!!
:)
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:You people offend me.

Yeah, I have to say that my using "it" in place of "is" was pretty nasty grammar.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to 2013 Theme Camps