Powerwheels?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Powerwheels?

Postby eliskipp » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Would a kid's Powerwheels toy be against the rules? They are not very large or anything and stand up pretty well to dust and grime.
eliskipp

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Couchsurfing.org

Re: Powerwheels?

Postby Sham » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:04 pm

What is a Powerwheels toy? Do you have a picture?
Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Is this the thing you're talking about?
Sham

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Dont know if it is against the rules or not but they let them in! One year this cute little blondie about 5 years old delighted in cruising up and down H and 5 o'clock. She had half the burners in love with her. The rest of the block was still unbelievably cool about her being there and everyone kept an eye on her. Her parents were neat too. They decorated the car so she had an "art car" (It had a long dragging tail and bunnie ears with a wind-up key). It was fun, but one of the parents was always within 30 feet of her and paying very close attention.

Since we had power and they didnt, her Barbie Hot Wheels wound-up parked in our camp every night, as did Mom and Dad. Mornings we did mickey-mouse pancakes for her and advil for the parents when they came to collect their recharged vehicle.

My vote? If you have one, and will watch your kid, BRING IT. And decorate the heck out of it. And bring a spare battery. It seemed to be a great way to make new friends.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Burningman has a surprising list of rules. Especially about vehicles that are not powered by pedals. Strictly within your village, maybe the rules would not be enforced. But given the vast possibilities for engagement and diversion for children at the event, is this an essential one? Would your children understand the limits and rules? Potential crushing disappointments abound. Do not bring.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby AntiM » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Four wheels and no pedals, technically against the rules. If you didn't have a child with big sad eyes in the vehicle at Gate, stands a chance of being impounded. The wheels, not the child.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Burningman has a surprising list of rules. Especially about vehicles that are not powered by pedals. Strictly within your village, maybe the rules would not be enforced. But given the vast possibilities for engagement and diversion for children at the event, is this an essential one? Would your children understand the limits and rules? Potential crushing disappointments abound. Do not bring.

Party pooper. (engage good-natured tongue in cheek dialogue here. Dont take this seriously, please)

Life has a surprising set of rules. Like "nazi-minded people who want to enforce order upon the newbie masses should leave the little kids out of their aspirations"

Seriously. Lighten up. Half of the burn is drunk, stoned, altered, unlawfully happy or is sleeping with someone elses husband/wife/siggy other/poodle. And you want to rain on some kid for having a little fun?? For real?

Tell you what. Wait until the little nipper is having a safe, fun burn and then call a ranger. Tell them that little five year old is "violating the terms and conditions found in the Burning Man survival guide and is therefore a serious danger to law, order, decorum, and the spirit of concentration camps throughout history". Demand a written report and escalate to the Pershing lads.

While you are doing this, I will be be playing peek-a-boo with this hardened criminal and waiting for her arrest. And tweaking her batteries, because you just never know when some munchkin may need to bust a move and rabbit from da cops.

(sarc aside. Some Seeing Eye may have a point. But if it was me, I would bring it!)
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:03 pm

AntiM wrote:The wheels, not the child.

They never do take the snot-nosed brats, do they?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:50 pm

If the absolute criteria is four wheels and no pedals... Welll... Do the math.

Fortunately there is wisdom at Gate! Kids and wheels get thru.
GreyCoyote

Postby MikeGyver » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:06 pm

An important question that hasn't been asked. Is the PowerWheel for a kid or for you? If its for a kid around camp you'll probably get away with it, If its for you to ride around Burning Man it will get impounded.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Yep, technically any non-human- or wind-powered vehicle needs DMV licensing which requires sufficient "mutation".
But if it's for a little kid, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it. And hell they only go about 2 miles per hour.
If you happen to be my neighbor I'd run you a cord to charge it.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Yep, technically any non-human- or wind-powered vehicle needs DMV licensing which requires sufficient "mutation".
But if it's for a little kid, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it. And hell they only go about 2 miles per hour.
If you happen to be my neighbor I'd run you a cord to charge it.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:44 pm

This guy stopped by our camp one day. I thought it was pretty awesome. :D He could drive the powerwheels from the "trailer".

mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Arrest that man.

Not only does he have a permit-lacking non-pedal four wheel powered vehicle, he has - GASP!! - a TRAILER!! And no running lights!

What shall we do with all of these non-age-appropriate darkwad scofflaws! (snicker)
GreyCoyote

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:18 am

And call BRC Animal Control for that bear. Guilty of being adorable!

Anyway...
No one wants to be a hard-ass about a child's toy. But there's the rules and people who interpret and enforce those rules. Just so there's no surprises at the Gate and gnashing of teeth if it gets impounded. There's a chance it won't fly. Being prepared is knowing what is and is not allowed.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:12 am

Make your fatass kids bike or walk. It'll do 'em good!

Anyway, you'll be recharging those Powerwheels all the time. They only get a few hours on each charge and you'll be limited by their range. You'll be dragging a bike there for them anyway.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby eliseeagle » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:03 pm

So I guess that means a riding ice chest is out? Darn!
eliseeagle

Burning Since: 2013

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:38 pm

When in doubt about a vehicle on the playa, contact the awesome folks at dmv@burningman.com and I'm sure they'd be happy to let you know. Child-sized vehicle vs. full-sized vehicle may very well have a different set of rules (as they do in Defaultia).

I like the idea of mutating it, that could end up being a great art project for parents and child to work on over the summer (either mutating the existing body or building a mutant chassis to put onto the vehicle's frame for use on the playa). I've seen some cool mutant wagons that parents towed behind bicycles, my favorite was an elaborate pirate ship with the two kids on board dressed as pirates. No idea whether I just happened to catch them on pirate day, or their parents were forcing/letting them dress like pirates every day of the event so their matching outfits would match their transportation (you know there are parents out there who'd do that).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Transportation