Water transporting

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Water transporting

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Using the median amount of 2 gallons of water per day on the playa, I figure around 14 gallons would do for me. I have looked into getting (2) 7-gallon Aquatainers, but at $18 - $20 a piece, I blanched. I found a great alternative. The local Coca-Cola Cannery sells empty 13.7 gallon heavy plastic food-grade barrels. I paid $6.00 for 3 of them. They were originally used to transport Dr. Pepper syrup in them, so there is still a clear, but not unpleasant Dr. Pepper odor in the barrels that I will be working on. My plan is to pump all of my drinking water using a hiking filter system with an inline activated charcoal filter to eliminate any residual tastes.

How do you plan on carrying your water?

SE
SouthernExposure

Re: Water transporting

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:01 pm

We generally recommend to campmates to get the 2.5 gallon 'suitcase' containers in Reno. We've used them for years, and they've worked out incredibly well.

During the off-season, my gf and I actually upgraded to those 7-gallon aquatainers for our own needs. We'd been looking at them for a year or two, and liked the stackable/modular/reusable nature of them, plus we wanted something that would serve double-duty for us to have as part of our emergency supply in Defaultia. That and the occasional campout. In SF, the suitcase things don't work out well. The plastic breaks down after a couple months, plus one of our cats seems to take great pride in scratching and poking holes in the containers. The aquatainers are nice and rugged/thick-lined, food-grade (and since it's new stuff, no odors), and just about the ideal size for us (we wanted something that wouldn't require assistance to lift or move).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Yup, those work great. We found some containers for transporting liquid products (caramel in this case) and it worked pretty well; I didn't notice any taste in them. They were 15 (maybe they were 30?) gallon plastic drums that were easily converted with a nozzle for pouring. We still use regular suitcase water containers for pouring into though; 2-gal jugs are easier to drag over to the sink. I also found 1.5-2 gal/day of water a bit much unless you're taking a shower each day; one (1) gal/day worked for me, but we also had other drinks in the cooler.

Note that water weighs about 8.35lbs per gallon. So factor that into your barrel size and ability to move them around. A 15-gallon barrel will be 125lbs, which can be a pain to handle.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Yeah, that 2.5 is pretty good for me--being utterly unable to lift with my knees, I don't want to strain my back... Bulky I can't do any more.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:45 pm

A few years ago I transported water to Burning Man in surplus plastic barrels that had been used for Dr. Pepper syrup.
I bleached the hell out of them and cleaned them every way I could - and the water that came out of them still smelled like Dr. Pepper!
Now I just use them for grey water barrels.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 pm

8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, that 2.5 is pretty good for me--being utterly unable to lift with my knees, I don't want to strain my back... Bulky I can't do any more.

You should hook up a shop crane, if only to give people wedgies.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby shLong » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Just curious, and pardon me if this is an obvious question that I am overlooking the answer to.

Is there anything wrong with buying a bunch of single gallons of water at a WalMart or other grocery store along the route?
Or....a few 5 gallon jugs?
Im coming in from WI with a friend in my Dodge Ram and water is definitely something I don't want to 'do wrong'.

(Now that I think of it, 15 gallons a person, getting hauled in is an awful lot of weight and room :? )...the "suitcase", assuming Im picturing the correct image, sounds like it would be a lot easier to make room for.
shLong

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar

Postby Zhust » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Being cheap and into reuse, years ago I went around my neighborhood each week and picked up juice bottles from recycle bins. I eventually decided to exclusively get OceanSpray 1/2 gallon jugs because they were rectangular, durable, and the labels came off easy. I can fit 11 in a milk crate making 5 1/2 gallons, and I usually end up taking 11 gallons, and I got in the habit of filling up in Reno or Winnemucca at a hotel the night before. I also short-changed to 11 gallons because I could (a) buy extra water in the form of ice which (if kept in its own container in the cooler) would provide another gallon of clean drinking water, and/or (b) count on people bringing too much water and mooping a gallon or two that they left behind. The big advantage of many smaller containers is if one leaked, I'd be out at most 1/2 gallon and have to deal with up to 1/2 gallon of wet stuff.

shLong wrote:Is there anything wrong with buying a bunch of single gallons of water at a WalMart or other grocery store along the route?

No, but you get zero extra points for style. Any of those kinds are flimsy plastic which deter reuse. The 5-gallon ones with a spout need to be pierced to flow, guaranteeing single use. The water in them may have been trucked some distance, adding waste. And to me, heavily filtered water like that tastes dead (lacking any minerals) or tastes like plastic (particularly when heated like, say, in the middle of the desert.)

But I don't think anyone will actually sneer at you for doing it.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:19 pm

The no-cost method I recommend is just opening up "sharps" containers and using all the leftover syringes to carry water. You can give yourself a shot of water in the mouth when you want, and even use them to shower with. You can get hundreds of them into a cardboard box.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby BBadger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:54 pm

shLong wrote:Is there anything wrong with buying a bunch of single gallons of water at a WalMart or other grocery store along the route?
Or....a few 5 gallon jugs? Im coming in from WI with a friend in my Dodge Ram and water is definitely something I don't want to 'do wrong'.

There's nothing wrong, and you certainly won't be in the minority doing that, aside from 1-gallon jugs instead of 2.5 gallon suitcases like most people use. I think you'll opt for those anyway when you see them.

The 5-gallon jugs (watercooler type) will be better, and you can bring them home and use them again. Better yet, grab some empty 5-gallon or 15-gallon jugs and refill them at a hotel or some other place (like a grocery store if you have to, or the water stop in Gerlach). You can even put ice into the jug if you're at a hotel with the ice machine. Use an insulated water cooler with a spout at the bottom and you can put ice in there with your water for cold water on tap.

(Now that I think of it, 15 gallons a person, getting hauled in is an awful lot of weight and room :? )...the "suitcase", assuming Im picturing the correct image, sounds like it would be a lot easier to make room for.

You probably don't need 15 gallons a person unless you want to be showering in the stuff all the time or are those overhydrated people who pee colorless piss all the time. Many people have extra much water by the end of the burn so bring what you really need, though err on the side of too much. For ourselves, we brought about 5 gallons per person because we brought a lot of other drinks and would periodically buy ice for the water dispenser. Remember to factor that kind of stuff in, as well as electrolyte powder so you're not running on water alone.

By any means, don't buy those collapsible camping water containers. Yeah, you may think they save you space (which doesn't matter, as you have to use it anyway), but their real problem is that shockwaves from bumps can cause them to burst and leak.

Zhust wrote:No, but you get zero extra points for style. Any of those kinds are flimsy plastic which deter reuse. The 5-gallon ones with a spout need to be pierced to flow, guaranteeing single use. The water in them may have been trucked some distance, adding waste. And to me, heavily filtered water like that tastes dead (lacking any minerals) or tastes like plastic (particularly when heated like, say, in the middle of the desert.)

Are you buying distilled water rather than spring water? The latter has minerals in it. Usually it tastes fine after it's been cooled/oxygenated which is the main problem with bottled water's flat flavor. Dump them into an insulated water cooler with a block of ice and you have nice cool water on tap that tastes fine.

I also think you mean 2.5 gallon jug/suitcases? Those 2.5 gal jugs are easily refillable and pourable without damaging the container; you don't even need to use the small spout at all. Just pull the entire pouring nozzle off the tip and you have a full-sized spout (~1.5" wide) that allows air in while it pours. When you're done, push it back on. It's a lot faster pouring than knifing the bottle and using the spout too. I use those jugs all the time as portable transportation from larger water jugs/barrels (mostly to a sink, not for drinking). Show a campmate how to take the top off and you can reuse one of their empty ones if you want.

BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 pm

shLong, there's no shame in using 1 gallon dudes from Wal-Mart (or any other grocer/big box that you stop at on your way). Those places also carry the 'suitcases' too - which are 2.5 gallon containers - handle up on top, spigot on one end. The price per gallon is largely the same, but it's a bit more efficient from a packing/loading standpoint. If you're doing the full burn, I agree with you, 15 will cover you. Bbadger's got a point though, if you're not showering every other day you could squeak by with a little less. But of all the things to 'go long' on at Burning Man, go long on water if you've got room. That way if you run into someone who looks thirsty or dehydrated, you can offer them a drink or a camelbak refill without even thinking about it and not jeopardize your own needs. I'm constantly amazed at how many people I encounter mid-week who just don't have the basics figured out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby SouthernExposure » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:45 am

When I got home with the barrels, I rinsed them out thoroughly then filled them with water and a cup of chlorine bleach and let them soak. The next day I emptied them and let them drain in my garage. The barrels still had a Dr. Pepper smell to them, but it was greatly diminished. I filled one of them up with just water and let it soak again. Yesterday I pulled out my Hiker Pro water filter and pumped a Nalgene bottle full from the barrel. I tasted it and I am happy to say that the water has no noticeable taste or smell of any kind.

I am considering this an official recycling victory and branding this as "GOOD TO GO!." :D :mrgreen: :lol:

See you in the dust!

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby SouthernExposure » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 am

FIGJAM wrote:8) Image

How much pressure did you have to put on the barrel and what did you use to get water flow? I can see what looks like a fitting on the lid and the sides look like they are bowed out.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:11 pm

About 20 pounds, but you can also use it in siphon mode.

With the hose on and a valve on the end of the hose, it will maintain the siphon all week.

I bumped the "Garden Sprayer" thread under Q&A so you can see the details. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby SouthernExposure » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Great idea. I love simple, effective solutions to problems.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby shLong » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Thank you all for your time spent answering my concerns.
I think the poster who said I'd opt for em anyways when I see them is correct. I'll go with the 2.5s.
I have chronic kidney stones and when I get dehydrated the large stone in my right kidney aches something awful, so I definitely want to be over-prepared when it comes to hydration.
And when it comes to showering, i'm not sure what the needs are out there quite yet. I can manage to shower once or twice and be Ok with myself (albeit slightly uncomfortable). I just don't want to be offensive to anybody I come across.
Having said that, I imagine I'll take 3 showers while I'm there. (although planning out showers in advance is pointless)

Thanks again.
shLong

Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar

Postby 48_love » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 pm

We've been discussing the practicality and pitfalls of using an old ceramic water dispenser reusing 5 gallon water bottles filled in Gerlach.

My concern is keeping the dust out of the ceramic dispenser.
48_love

Postby SouthernExposure » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I like the idea of getting water in Gerlach and supporting the town like that. Has anyone done this? What are the lines like?

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Jackass » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm

48_love wrote:We've been discussing the practicality and pitfalls of using an old ceramic water dispenser reusing 5 gallon water bottles filled in Gerlach.

My concern is keeping the dust out of the ceramic dispenser.

My friends use a refrigerated one out there, just pull a white kitchen trash bag down over it. Just lift one edge and dispense. I believe they use a walnut bag (white nylon gunny sack) over their cooler.

P.S. Gerlach water may be a bit too hard for drinking, it's more for washing people/dishes. Treat yourself to some filtered water in Reno or Fernley.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby 48_love » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks, Jackass!

No snark, lol!
48_love

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 am

I was a little concerned about getting the re-purposed barrel to the playa as I was flying into Phoenix and driving to BRC with a relative. Southwest (God Bless Them) Airlines lets your check 2 bags for free as long as each one is under 50 pounds and has a combined dimensions (H + W + L) of less than 62". It turns out that the barrel is 14" diameter and 27" tall which comes to a combined total of 55".

One problem down, 15 to go. :wink:

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 am

I can probably get that barrel here for about $10.

When are you coming? 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby maladroit » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 pm

It's probably not a good idea to only bring exactly the water you'll need up to the day you leave. Easy to get complacent...it's entirely possible that a massive dust storm will spear half your water jugs with an EZ-Up leg. Or an intense dust storm or rain storm will force you to sit tight for several more days than expected.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby PL_FL » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:46 am

One other question about transporting water, hopefully it's not too off-topic. I'm flying into Reno on Monday, driving up to BRC on Tuesday, mid-day... I'm drop-shipping some supplies (tent/bags/etc) to the Reno Super Walmart near the intersection of 80 and 580 and I'm planning to pick up last-minute supplies there like PBJ, water, etc... My question is, will there be anything left? Being from South Florida I'm VERY familiar with that 'empty-shelf-syndrome' as a hurricane approaches. So I'm just a little worried about that in this situation.

thanks!!
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

We're more pucntual than hurracanes!

They'll be stocked. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Canoe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

PL_FL wrote:...he Reno Super Walmart near the intersection of 80 and 580
...I'm VERY familiar with that 'empty-shelf-syndrome' as a hurricane approaches...

Yup.
Burning Man is a very regular planned for hurricane that hits Reno each year.

The 80 & 580 Walmart is a zoo, packed parking lot and store, with Burners shopping and staging. Security does their best, but thieves love a crowd they can work. Somethings running low or out late Sunday. They're so used to Burners there that guys in pink tu-tus with rainbow hair don't get looked at twice.
(There's a very quiet Walmart in the South closer to the airport tucked in behind some box stores: they get far less Burners, so staff and customers end up standing with their mouths open on Sunday. They also don't stock the typical Burner needs, like the other stores do.)

Don't know what your transportation is, but on North McCarran Blvd there's a Walmart between West Seventh & Mae Anne.
Lots of Burners staging at that Walmart too, but it's not the zoo that 80&580 is.
Across the street is a Save Mart, Dollar Tree, someone had a wireless access point, and most importantly - a UPS store, which you can ship items to, picking up for a $5 fee (make sure you check their hours - if you're in late Sunday, you may not be happy waiting til Monday morning to pickup your packages). (do not ship to the UPS store at Firestone)
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby PL_FL » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 pm

I’m picking up an SUV Tuesday morning near the airport, so I’ll have transportation. I see that other Walmart you’re talking about (4855 Kietzke Ln) and that looks like a target-rich environment (a car wash, a BrewHouse, BebBath&Beyond, SportsAuthority, TireCenter)!!
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Postby bruce_w » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I just got into town (reno) and the walmart off mccarran has 55 gallon water drums for $49. I've never seen a walmart with these before. I'm thinking of buying one and using for bathing/cooking ect as 50 single gallons would be about the same price.

So yeah....the walmarts are ready for everyone!!
bruce_w

Camp Name: looking

Postby SouthernExposure » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 am

As a follow-up to the Dr.Pepper water barrel system I used this year, it was flawless. I cut and notched some 2x4s to use to elevate the barrel off of the playa surface and they seemed to work good to keep the water from absorbing any heat from underneath. The water had no Dr. Pepper smell or taste at all. At the end of the week, I had several gallons left over which was evenly distributed down the road for dust control.

Bottom line - Good system.

SE
SouthernExposure

Next

Return to Food & Drink