Burning wooden art?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Burning wooden art?

Postby Faun » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 pm

I was wondering if ppl can bring wooden art to the playa to burn? Like is there a designated area where random burnable pieces can be set up for a fun burn? For instance if I brought a 8 foot wooden dinosaur would that be acceptable?
The meaning to life. Is to excel to the ability of our creators.
Faun

Re: Burning wooden art?

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:11 pm

It's time to read your Survival Guide again, all the information is listed in there (link in my signature)

Survival Guide 2013 wrote:BURN SCAR PREVENTION
Burning Man’s ability to return to the Black Rock Desert year after year is directly dependent upon our ability to Leave No Trace – which includes burn scars. Volunteers have spent thousands of hours cleaning up burn scars from past Burning Man events, and continue to do so. It is your responsibility as a citizen to ensure no burn scars are left on the playa: NEVER start a fire directly on the playa surface. Not only will it create a burn scar, the BLM will issue citations for it. A fireplace, burn barrel or barbecue (in permitted areas only) may be used for small fires. Burn Barrels must be elevated 10"off the playa.

FIRE ART & FUEL STORAGE SAFETY
We love fire at Burning Man, and we must burn safely. Whether you are planning to have a fire barrel, burn your artwork, or incorporate flame effects into your artwork or Mutant Vehicle, you must follow our Fire Art Safety Guidelines, found here. All participants using combustible fuels in an art installation or storing fuel in camp must comply with best practices for storing and handling these materials, described here. Questions about fuel storage should be directed to: fuelsafety@ burningman.com.

You need to follow the FIre Art Guidelines, found at this link: http://www.burningman.com/installations/index_fire_art.html

If you burn something, you are 100% responsible for making sure there is no burn-scar on the playa, and picking up every single little bit of ash and MOOP your burn creates that you can get your hands on. You're also responsible for the safety perimeter, and making sure it's all done according to safety procedures, all of which are listed in the link above.

DO NOT just bring something and expect to burn it on the playa, unless it's small enough to burn in the Temple (and is the right type of object to put there - you might offend people if you put an 8' dinosaur into the Temple to Burn, unless it was someones dying wish)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Faun » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 pm

gee.. Thanks for such an uplifting response. Word of mouth is what got me thinking about participating. Wanted to see if there was a designated area where with others. Art could be burned and disposed of. Most importantly if you were to get offended by an 8 foot dino burn. I'd advise you to turn around and go back to where you came from.
Faun

Postby Rice » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Faun wrote:gee.. Thanks for such an uplifting response. Word of mouth is what got me thinking about participating. Wanted to see if there was a designated area where with others. Art could be burned and disposed of. Most importantly if you were to get offended by an 8 foot dino burn. I'd advise you to turn around and go back to where you came from.

It is unlikely that everyone will be offended by anything you bring!!!

If you decide to burn what you bring, please make sure to follow the rules/guidelines.

The dinosaur will go good with this:

Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Faun » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 pm

[quote="Rice"]It is unlikely that everyone will be offended by anything you bring!!!

I may bring, but don't think I'll burn due to clean up.
Faun

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Faun wrote:Most importantly if you were to get offended by an 8 foot dino burn. I'd advise you to turn around and go back to where you came from.

If you read what I wrote, I said someone might be offended if you burnt that in the Temple as opposed to creating your own burn area. A lot of people take the Temple burn extremely seriously and place a ton of "spirituality" on it, for lack of a better word. I was trying to let you know that, since your question read like you've never been.

Faun wrote:gee.. Thanks for such an uplifting response. Word of mouth is what got me thinking about participating.

Sorry that you find me telling you the actual facts involved with burning something on the playa to be less than uplifting. No, there is no designated "bring whatever you want to burn" area (other than mementos of departed loved ones in the Temple). You want to burn something, you need to read all that information I posted & play by the rules. The BLM & other law enforcement will issue citations if you burn directly on the playa.

Your response makes me think that you absolutely need to read the Survival Guide, at least twice, and take a good read through the First Timers Guide as well, especially If you've only heard about BMan through word of mouth. Both are designed to give you the information you need to make you as ready as possible for what the desert can throw at you and what you need to survive, without impacting the environment out there, or other Burners.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Faun wrote:gee.. Thanks for such an uplifting response. Word of mouth is what got me thinking about participating. Wanted to see if there was a designated area where with others. Art could be burned and disposed of. Most importantly if you were to get offended by an 8 foot dino burn. I'd advise you to turn around and go back to where you came from.

skin: please thicken
ego: please check at the door
mind: please open
attitude: humble and friendly are nice, being able to take information and instruction as an adult are a bonus. Especially when you solicit them.

please, come have a great time with us all!! we are protective of what we have, and there is no problem pointing out rules and standards (few as they are) that are in place to allow us our BRC as an ongoing thing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gaminwench » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 pm

There are also burn Cauldrons at the ends of some radial streets, across the Esplanade on the playa side. Starting Friday night, they are fed fairly regularly with art projects and wood scrap from people's camps.

I'd like to see an 8 foot Dinosaur burn.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 pm

gaminwench wrote:There are also burn Cauldrons at the ends of some radial streets, across the Esplanade on the playa side. Starting Friday night, they are fed fairly regularly with art projects and wood scrap from people's camps.

I'd like to see an 8 foot Dinosaur burn.

*notes GW channeling Japanese villagers from Godzilla movies*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:27 pm

gaminwench wrote:There are also burn Cauldrons at the ends of some radial streets, across the Esplanade on the playa side. Starting Friday night, they are fed fairly regularly with art projects and wood scrap from people's camps.

Yep. See "Alternative Burning Options":
http://www.burningman.com/installations/open_fire.html
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am

Don't feel too badly.... radical self reliance is one of the event's ten principles, so expect to get some razzing and snark any time a question gets posted that would have been answered with minimal effort. Think of it as tough love, people trying to encourage you to think for yourself.

And as for burning stuff, yeah, there are some responsibilities that go along with it (reading through that will give you a good appreciation for the stuff that burns on the playa). If you're determined and willing to put forth the effort for your art, it's doable - if not, don't burn it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Faun » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Question answered. :P
"There is no designated area for random burns. We do have burn platforms
for folks to burn wood - and of course after Saturday - the Man embers
become a burn platform."
thx to
installations@burningman.com

"The Man embers become a burn platform." This is what I was looking for. I'm guessing though that not many burners bring a lil something over to the Man embers to burn their "offerings." :)
I will probably just make a lil guy to hang out at my camp sight.
@ Eric.
You come on as a know it all by assuming I was going desecrate the playa and TRY to offend others. Due to 2013 being my first year no matter what. I sense I'm already more of a burner than you. I asked the question on this forum due to pictures I've seen and past burns I've heard about that seem to conflict with the guidelines. I expected a little razzing but what I can't stand is ppl not able to talk of experience but start cutting and pasting out of the rule book. Much like the cargo cult religious folks who read from the books but can't explain what they're reading is really frustrating. So don't be human MOOP Eric. Lets keep the forums clean from assumptions and be helpful to one other. I just might the guy who catches your hat when the playa winds knock it off your head. :lol:
P.s :mrgreen: Hope everyone is helping with the Burning man Kickstarter projects.
Faun

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh, my word. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Faun wrote:@ Eric.
You come on as a know it all by assuming I was going desecrate the playa and TRY to offend others. Due to 2013 being my first year no matter what. I sense I'm already more of a burner than you.

Yes, I fully get that you're more than a Burner than I by your ability to take offense at an honest answer to a question that you asked. I didn't assume you were going to desecrate the playa, I assumed you were a first-timer who didn't do basic research before asking their question, and was responding with all the information I had available to help you out, including links to the Survival Guide & the Fire Art Guide.

That "rule book" that you apparently find offensive, and that I "cut & paste" from, is what enables the event to continue happening. Sorry if you don't like the words in it, but ignoring it could put the event in peril, especially since the event is required to abide by the terms the Gov't sets down, which include "leave no trace" - ie: burn scars, amongst other things. Seeing as doing fire art wrong could lead to a citation in the best case, and setting someones campsite on fire in the worst case, they're pretty handy rules to know (watching someones RV burn down last year on Monday due to faulty wiring reminds you of how damaging it can be. Thank you BRD Volunteer Fire Dept for being so quick)

I am also being completely honest about reading the First Timers Guide & Survival Guide - I've been going for a decade & I read the Survival Guide every year, as do, I would bet, the majority of people who post on here. Things in the Survival Guide change, and it never hurts to refresh your memory with the First Timers Guide, no matter how long you've been going.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:41 pm

I can hear all the laughter from here. :roll: what do you think, 12? Maybe 14?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:22 pm

I think faun has a clown problem. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:10 pm

tamarakay wrote:I can hear all the laughter from here. :roll: what do you think, 12? Maybe 14?

I don't think Faun is a troll, actually, just someone new who is discovering that there may be more to this thing we go to than you can get from pictures & word of mouth. Hopefully the Survival & First Timers guides will help him understand the event in a little more depth. I may be wrong, but I don't get the troll vibe.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Geez, nobody burns art here, what do you think this is, Burning Man?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:26 am

I do believe there is an intent to bring a dinosaur. I think the reactions indicate a very young person. Very possibly an emotionally stunted adult. I've never seen such a negative reaction to legitimate assistance.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 am

...and you work in the field.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Faun,
The best thing to do is to get in touch with the Artery ASAP. They can assist you in building a burn platform, which is basically a decomposed granite bed 3"-6" deep, based on predicted structure collapse. (r* ~1.2). They need to organize this well in advance of the event for number of reasons: their haulers charge by the yard, coming and going, they are stretched, they have many irons in the fire, and artists don't often prepare adequately. I suggest your project is subject to all of those criteria, with a huge weigh on the latter.

The Org appreciates artists who get informed by networking, reading available resources and understanding the Org's commitment to preserving the playa. Showing that acumen is a baseline for getting the org excited and involved in your project. Bring it, but bring it with 21st Century "Californian" sensitivities. It really is a leave no trace event. That is the high bar. We fail, but we strive.

The org has a number of publications about burn scars, playa art, etc. I would be delighted to help you with those resources, and with my own significant experience. " Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain". Eplaya love comes in many forms, and all of it is love: you are here, you are contributing, you are fucked. Go get your shine box! You can mail me here, or at fox.dan@gmail.com. All of us burners really stand ready to help you. It really is a Kumbayasterfuck.
chiefdanfox

Postby Finneganistan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Faun wrote:Question answered. :P
"There is no designated area for random burns. We do have burn platforms
for folks to burn wood - and of course after Saturday - the Man embers
become a burn platform."
thx to
installations@burningman.com

"The Man embers become a burn platform." This is what I was looking for. I'm guessing though that not many burners bring a lil something over to the Man embers to burn their "offerings." :)
I will probably just make a lil guy to hang out at my camp sight.
@ Eric.
You come on as a know it all by assuming I was going desecrate the playa and TRY to offend others. Due to 2013 being my first year no matter what. I sense I'm already more of a burner than you. I asked the question on this forum due to pictures I've seen and past burns I've heard about that seem to conflict with the guidelines. I expected a little razzing but what I can't stand is ppl not able to talk of experience but start cutting and pasting out of the rule book. Much like the cargo cult religious folks who read from the books but can't explain what they're reading is really frustrating. So don't be human MOOP Eric. Lets keep the forums clean from assumptions and be helpful to one other. I just might the guy who catches your hat when the playa winds knock it off your head. :lol:
P.s :mrgreen: Hope everyone is helping with the Burning man Kickstarter projects.

You tell 'em Faun!
Your pithy sig here now! Ask me how!
Finneganistan

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Too late for new apps, bring your Dino, Burn it on the Man base, have a great time.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:30 pm

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Man base on Sunday, or one of the public burn platforms (cauldrons), yes. Late in the week the platforms may be difficult to get a large piece onto, since so many people have stuff to burn.

Be aware that paint and other substances that can give off toxic fumes when burned are not to be burned. I've noticed this isn't always obeyed, but you should investigate these rules. Perhaps some types of paint are allowed -- I don't know.

We do tend to snap at people who have not done their homework, but I feel we must allow for people who have not yet learned enough to know that there is homework to be done.

Carry on. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Return to 2013 Art & Performance