Hydraulic brakes? (bicycle)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Hydraulic brakes? (bicycle)

Postby Coat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Anybody have experience with hydraulic brakes and playa dust? Tryin' to figure out my bike plans.
Coat

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Hydraulic brakes? (bicycle)

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:18 pm

No on Playa experience but as long as your don't open the fluid system you shouldn't have any problems.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Simpler is generally better. Never tried hydraulic brakes, but i'd say that you're better off if you only bring things that can be repaired relatively simply when they break.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Coat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Very polar insights... I like it. Mrpatatomoto would you suggest using brake cleaner out there? I could trust the dust for the week.
Coat

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Coat wrote:Very polar insights... I like it. Mrpatatomoto would you suggest using brake cleaner out there? I could trust the dust for the week.

Think about it this way, most of the art cars our there use hydraulic brakes and they don't have any issues. I would suggest not bringing an expensive bike though, they grow legs and walk away sometimes.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:49 am

I think the real question is whether disk brakes will have problems... I'd say most likely. When I've gone mountain biking in really dusty areas they started squealing like mad.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Since you won't be careening down any steep hills on the playa, the braking power you'll need is minimal...unless you plan on accelerating to speeds in excess of 15 mph. Simple pads on rims work just fine.. Discs are OK, and if it's an old cheap setup you won't care if they get scored.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Coat wrote:Very polar insights... I like it.

All images from Wikimedia...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jebus_curst » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Coat wrote: would you suggest using brake cleaner out there? .

Do not use brake cleaner. Most brake cleaner is spray kind. It would be next to impossible for the chemicals not to touch the ground. If you did over a tarp it could protect the ground from being damaged. Now comes reason behind brake cleaner, There is not a good one. Anything that is clean will instantly become covered in dust. Wait till you get home to thoroughly clean your bike. Think cheap or easy to maintain.
jebus_curst

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 pm

You will have no problem with hydraulic brakes. I am assuming these are discs and not the old type of Magura? Regardless, they will be fine. You can get cable actuated discs for cheap. These are what you find on walmart or kmart bikes.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Return to Transportation