Fundraiser: Like 4 Real

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.

Fundraiser: Like 4 Real

Postby dadara » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 am

I am very excited to share my new Burning Man project with you! It will be my sixth project on the Playa after the Fools Ark in 2002, the Burning Greymen in 2003, Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia in 2008, the Exchanghibition Bank in 2011, and the Transformoney Tree in 2012. I can't wait to go back and do another international art project! So what will my new project be? I hope you "Like" it, and if you want to Like 4 Real you can support our crowdfunding page on Indiegogo :

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/like-4-real

Like 4 Real - Your Spiritual Path to Enlikement.

What happens if Facebook vanishes into the digital ether, or the Spring of Eternal Likes dries up one day?

It's Time to Like4Real

We live in an excitingly chaotic time, where we are witnessing the transition from an industrial to a digital existence. Everything we thought we knew has become the new unknown, and our social, political and economic structures are continuously being redefined. Many of us now fine tune our core values, and interpersonal relations under the bluish light of our computer screens. The question is, can social media strengthen our real physical and emotional bonds as human beings, or will they disrupt our social structures, turning us into Like-clicking autistic zombies?

The Petri Dish

This is why we think that the barren plains of a desert - still largely untouched by the virtual tentacles of the world wide web - is the ideal place to explore the roles and values of Liking each other. It's a place where the time always seems to be 'now', and connecting with other people is serendipitous. There's no need to 'check in' and find each other through Facebook or Foursquare.

The Project

The Like4Real project brings human interaction and human relations back to where they belong, from its virtual realm to its natural reality.

We believe that society needs to focus on real actions and intentions, rather than the symbolic reward bestowed on things by a mouse click. We must never forget that the real rewards of Liking bloom within ourselves and inside our communities. Clicktivism is not Activism.

Will we be able to Like if Facebook vanishes into the digital ether? What if the Spring of Eternal Likes dries up one day, will we go bankrupt because of our investments in accumulating Likes?

Will society ever look beyond the algorithms, which form the Soul of Likes, and rediscover the act of Liking deep inside our own selves? Or will we start panicking and become clueless when we can’t express our Likes anymore with one click of a button.

The Installation

The installation is a big open-shaped Golden Like symbol, which stands on a massive black altar-like structure, with six big steps leading up to the Like. Each step is 2 feet high, and serves as a place to sit and chill and/or mingle.

A second flight of smaller stairs in the middle of the structure leads up to the Like symbol. These have one feet high steps, and visitors will be requested to take off their shoes before entering the installation.

On Friday night, the Like symbol will be burned, and thus will be given back from its virtual realm to its natural reality.

Like 4 Real

In our perception Like has become the new Gold, however it has lost its real value and meaning. Like became just another commodity, waiting to be cashed.

But it does not have to be like that: Like is an inherent part of our Human Nature, Like is Free!

Like 4 Real!

Yours Dreamingly, Dustingly, and Likingly

Dadara
dadara

Re: Fundraiser: Like 4 Real

Postby lemur » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm

omg REAL art.

at burning man ?!

why are you the only one who seems to figure this out..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Danos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi Dadara,

I just donated. see you @ playa:D

ciao danos
Danos

Postby Danos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:42 pm

And do I get my spiritual karma contract back thuis time :)
Danos

Postby Canoe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:56 am

Great costumes!

But, why does the prospect of having that symbol blatant, blaring, on the playa feel like an end-run commercial for that company...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby dadara » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:52 am

I wonder if that symbol burning on Friday also feels like a commercial........ :twisted:

But to be honest it's neither pro or against Facebook. It's trying to make us aware of how our human interaction, human relations, and communities are affected by social networks, and how the transition from an industrial into digital age is challenging those relations.

And, if we like it or not, internet and mobile phones are slowly but surely invading the Playa. So we might close our eyes and say it should not happen, or try to make people aware of the value of real relations and real Likes and bring Liking back from its virtual realm to its natural reality, so that even when people know they can use their phones they will decide not to............

I am happy that you like the costumes (did you see our bankers suits in 2011 and 2012? see pic) and I think that the Like Tribe worshipping that symbol with Like rituals will not exactly be a commercial, but a way to make us think about how much power we have given to Facebook in the Default world, and that we should value the serendipity and "Time is Now" on the Playa.

But yes, if you'll only witness it from a distance, not watch the fire, and not be involved or take a closer look, than you might see it as a commercial, but then you'll act just as if this project is a post on Facebook :)

Please also check http://www.facebook.com/like4real to get a better idea

Yours Likingly

Dadara

Canoe wrote:Great costumes!

But, why does the prospect of having that symbol blatant, blaring, on the playa feel like an end-run commercial for that company...
CEO and Founder
Exchanghibition Bank
The Art of Turning Art into Money
[url]http://www.artasmoney.com[/url]
dadara

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 am

Speaking personally, I don't see it as an advert, though it does make for an interesting discussion (both on the internet and on the playa). I like that it's not the straight up FB logo, and that even though he's using their symbol/IP it's being adapted rather than copied as-is. The way it appears dadara's presenting it is a form of idolatry that I think fits in nicely with the theme. To many, the idea of amassing likes on their posts, pictures, and pages (or +1's, or whatever) has become a kind of cult. Hell, George Takei has managed to turn it into a new chapter in his career.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby dadara » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 am

trilobyte wrote:Speaking personally, I don't see it as an advert, though it does make for an interesting discussion (both on the internet and on the playa). I like that it's not the straight up FB logo, and that even though he's using their symbol/IP it's being adapted rather than copied as-is. The way it appears dadara's presenting it is a form of idolatry that I think fits in nicely with the theme. To many, the idea of amassing likes on their posts, pictures, and pages (or +1's, or whatever) has become a kind of cult. Hell, George Takei has managed to turn it into a new chapter in his career.

I agree, and feel that creating a discussion is one of the big goals of the project.

And amassing meaningless Likes indeed have seem to have become a goal in itself, instead of sharing meaningful content which might maybe generate Likes.

Everyday we create new landing strips for the arrival of more Likes by posting photographs of cute baby and kittens, videos of Gangnam Style dancers, things that take us further away from the real meaning of the Like Cargo...........
dadara

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 am

Could you set up a little podium where you have to kneel or bow down to press two separated buttons in order to light up the Like symbol or some audio to tell the person they have been "liked"? A sort of debasement just for some short silly bit of entertainment and praise.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby dadara » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:38 am

I feel that all the recent NSA controversy is adding a nice layer to the whole project......

CEO and Founder
Exchanghibition Bank
dadara

Postby dadara » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:44 pm

YAY! The Like 4 Real website went Live today!
http://www.like4real.com/

Will you take the Red Like, play with us, stay in Like Wonderland, and go down the Rabbithole?

Or will you take the Blue Like, wake up in your own bed, stay in reality, and like whatever you like?

The choice is up to you!

dadara

Postby dadara » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 pm

We passed the 60% mark now, and still have 13 days to go.......

Some of the money raised has already been spent on printing the textiles for our Like Tribe outfits!
They will look awesome in my humble opinion :)

dadara

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Great art work!

They do look awesome.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby dadara » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 am

Canoe wrote:Great art work!

They do look awesome.

thanks. working on other ones as well.

and we almost reached 80% !

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

I feel we might make it. 4 Real......

dadara

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

The artwork is really amazing, Dadara, I can't wait to see it. My girlfriend and I have dabbled a bit with printed textiles in the past, but nothing approaching that kind of awesomeness.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby moonrise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:51 pm

dadara wrote:YAY! The Like 4 Real website went Live today!
http://www.like4real.com/

Will you take the Red Like, play with us, stay in Like Wonderland, and go down the Rabbithole?

Or will you take the Blue Like, wake up in your own bed, stay in reality, and like whatever you like?

The choice is up to you!

I always LOVE your art dadara!! I like BOTH Red and Blue, but this year (due to a serious back injury I am currently healing from) I will choose Blue...but only due to the fact I cannot attend the Big Burn this year (boo hoo).

Anyhow, for some of us virtual clicking is the only way we can almost be there with everyone on the playa proper.

I'm listening to BMIR right now and getting a wee bit home sick and will post a thread requesting all fresh online live feeds, music and U-stream etc types of online coverage to be posted, for those of us who are stuck in the Blue like4real zone....

Much love, moonrise ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby dadara » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:47 am

moonrise wrote:
I always LOVE your art dadara!! I like BOTH Red and Blue, but this year (due to a serious back injury I am currently healing from) I will choose Blue...but only due to the fact I cannot attend the Big Burn this year (boo hoo).

Anyhow, for some of us virtual clicking is the only way we can almost be there with everyone on the playa proper.

I'm listening to BMIR right now and getting a wee bit home sick and will post a thread requesting all fresh online live feeds, music and U-stream etc types of online coverage to be posted, for those of us who are stuck in the Blue like4real zone....

Much love, moonrise ;)

Thanks for the Love Moonrise, and if you Really Like it, I hope you will add some value to your Like on our Indiegogo.
We have now almost reached 85% but only 7 days to go..................
CEO and Founder
Exchanghibition Bank
dadara

Return to 2013 Support A Project