Plug & Play/Turnkey Camping

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
FIGJAM

Re: Plug & Play Camping

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 am

2nded!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 am

Was this a registered theme camp? What was their act?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Bob wrote:Was this a registered theme camp? What was their act?
I don't know but I overheard somebody saying he runs the camp and doesn't make money off of it. Which is like parking your giant art car in front of burners, blocking their view of the man, or running an unmuffled generator and justifying it by saying you don't make money off of it.

"I'm going to invite a bunch of strangers to come watch you have sex, but, it's okay. I do it every year, and I don't make any money off of it."

The down-the-road is, I also heard camp hosts talking about how next year they were going buy tickets for and hire day laborers to come out and set up/tear down camp for them. They'll show up, pound stakes, and then run amok--in someone else's camp--soaking up free booze and food, chase girls for a week, and then return on Sunday to tear down while everybody parties. We met a few of these. They were in street clothes, barely spoke English, had no idea what was going on and tried desperately to hook up with the playa hotties to the point of my wife having to politely remind a group of them to leave her and her married friends alone. They basically just followed her around and gawked until they were told to fuck off. Nice enough guys, but, they simply had no grasp of what this is all about because they were probably brought there to wash dishes.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

shykat

Post by shykat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 pm

What were all those construction site trailers set up on k (ish) and 8i (sh). Must have been atleast 30 of them set up in a square. They were there on friday , pre opening.

Not sure is it was camp or not, at the time i saw them on Saturday afternoon they were still empty,
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

Candybox
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Candybox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:37 am

ZaphodBurner wrote: The down-the-road is, I also heard camp hosts talking about how next year they were going buy tickets for and hire day laborers to come out and set up/tear down camp for them. They'll show up, pound stakes, and then run amok--in someone else's camp--soaking up free booze and food, chase girls for a week, and then return on Sunday to tear down while everybody parties. We met a few of these. They were in street clothes, barely spoke English, had no idea what was going on and tried desperately to hook up with the playa hotties to the point of my wife having to politely remind a group of them to leave her and her married friends alone. They basically just followed her around and gawked until they were told to fuck off. Nice enough guys, but, they simply had no grasp of what this is all about because they were probably brought there to wash dishes.
Two years ago, I walked into one of these super deluxe plug-n-play camps, and was given a "tour" by a guy who was camping with them through a friend, not pay. The camp had luxury RVs that ran generators and ACs 24/7, catered food, and what can only be described as servants even though he vehemently denied they were such. Each luxury RV had a separate attendent who stayed in a janky trailer next door, who not only set up camp but took care of their needs. Even basic stuff like setting up campfires and cleaning up after themselves. The guy was insistant that theses rich folks were awesome, and the servants weren't servants, and was utterly starstruck by the access they had to big-name DJs and good drugs.

sambojones

Post by sambojones » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:56 am

shykat wrote:What were all those construction site trailers set up on k (ish) and 8i (sh). Must have been atleast 30 of them set up in a square. They were there on friday , pre opening.

Not sure is it was camp or not, at the time i saw them on Saturday afternoon they were still empty,
i saw that shit too when i rolled up sunday night they had posts driven into the ground by each trailer with the plug in connections on em it was weird... there was also a big toy hauler type trailer parked by em full of bikes... i was tempted to cut the power connections to all the trailers with my cordless saw but i figured karma would bite me in the ass for doing it :|
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

The more I read these rants about PnP camping, the more I think the accusers are misdirecting their vitriol. Many of these stories and such could be applied to any group of entitled assholes that visit BRC, "plug-and-play" or not. The vitriol should be aimed at entitled burners/spectators, not how some people choose to roll into BRC.

Really, what is separating the PnP camper from someone else? Pulling up in their rented RV? You don't have to be in a PnP camp to camp in your house-on-wheels. The dues to the camp? Virtually everyones' camp has dues. So someone paid $350 or $1000 for "dues" to have shit taken care of instead of $100, or $50 to have possibly fewer things taken care of. Catered meals? So someone cooked meals for you, so what? It's not like your instant ramen is any less "plug and play." Sure, now you're only paying the noodle company, not some hired help, but it's still paying for convenience. Or is anything less than creating your own noodles is plug-and-play?

Or what, a PnP burner is really any worse than other spectator-burners? Some people pull up in their van, unattached to any camp, and are there just for the raving partying. They didn't "PnP," but they are still just spectating. Are they better than the PnPer because of how they chose to camp? Maybe they even leave MOOP behind. In that case I'd take the "organized" PnPers over them any day. At least they're paying "the help" to pick up the MOOP. I'd agree with placement for any PnP camp that is great at LNT than some Temple of MOOP--no matter how many people the latter served.

Oh, the PnP camps have their own camp-exclusive shit. Mutant vehicle for the camp members only? Well shit, that ain't new either, or a PnP-exclusive phenomena. The camps don't allow outsiders in to enjoy what they brought? Not new or PnP-exclusive either.

So what are the arbitrary bars here? Yeah, arbitrary. Can't fix them? Then I'm thinking this has all descended to a "burnier than thou" argument, and that is pretty weak.

PnP camps are the scapegoat. A nice easy target to pin entitled burners to. That entitled bitch who demands an margarita? Of course, a PnP camper. Those girls yakking that they ought to move on from a camp that isn't organized. Yeah, they walked out of their PnP RV with a manservant fanning them at every moment.

But you don't know. You're just assuming, and even if it were true, the fact of the matter is that those kinds of people come from all different camps--even your own.

So I'm find the whole PnP ranting a bit weak. It's not qualified hate. It's like blaming the symptom rather than the cause. It's misdirected burnier-than-thou bullshit. Sure, call out the spectators, the entitled burners, the MOOPers, the exclusionary camps--but let's stop this ridiculous misdirected witchhunt against "PnP" camps, whatever the arbitrary definition of that really is.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:47 pm

BBadger wrote:The more I read these rants about PnP camping, the more I think the accusers are misdirecting their vitriol. Many of these stories and such could be applied to any group of entitled assholes that visit BRC, "plug-and-play" or not. The vitriol should be aimed at entitled burners/spectators, not how some people choose to roll into BRC.
I'm late to the party, but this sounds like the right POV to me.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I,ve read through the entire thread and what I don,t see is a consice, specific definition of what a plug and play camp is.

Some examples I came up with were.....

Form 1. Larry invited me to TTITD for the price of a ticket.

I read a lot, prepared as I saw fit, and when I got there, there were streets so I would'nt get lost or need a gps to find my camp.

There were jots so I did'nt have to deal with my shit.

There were water trucks to keep the dust down, and, and, and!!!

That sounds like plug and play on a scale most of us accept.

Form 2. Maybe I work 80hrs. a week to run my firm, so I don't have the time or energy to do prep for the burn, but I do have an idea for an MV no dust hoover craft that launches 1 mile clouds of rainbow confetti that evaporates before it hits the ground.

So I pay someone to build it and pay for them to bring it and the RV and, and, and, so I can fly in cause I don't have any other way to burn.

Different, but still plug and play.

Form 3. Steven Hawking whats to experience Burning Man!

Has to be plug and play in some form.

Form 4. All theme camps and villages!

They all bring stuff to the playa that I can't, and make the burn what it is. (thanks doc pyro and all the rest)

I guess this would be part of form 1.

Form 5. On a whim, I fly into BM with just the clothes on my back and $3K in my pocket, then expect to buy my Burn!!! Plug and play baby!!!

ALL are going to be "A Burning Man experience".

We all have our own, and they are unique to each of us.

It becomes a matter of degrees, and without a precise definition, I don't know where to draw the line.

Have vouchers for Ice and services, and if you flash cash anywhere, you are ejected?

I don't know!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

So can we define exactly what "Plug and Play" is before we get too bogged down in this discussion?

I see a lot of good points being brought up, but let's find out exactly what we're talking about!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I,ve read through the entire thread and what I don,t see is a consice, specific definition of what a plug and play camp is.
The definition is: a scapegoat.

But really, I'm happy that other people are questioning this flimsy concept and what it really means--if anything.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Seems to be a failure here to differentiate "camp" and "theme camp", starting from the initial post.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Plug & Play/Turnkey Camping

Post by trilobyte » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 pm

I think the definition is still being worked out. This entire thread and the blog post/video that accompanied its creation were an effort to try and define what that might be, as well as determine what the potential positive and negative impact could be. After quite a bit of discussion, some minimal guidelines were established (see this blog post for details).

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 am

My main issue with these camps (besides people commodifying the burn ON PLAYA), is that getting to Burning Man is not supposed to be easy. The fact that it isn't easy has for a long time weeded out those that just couldn't hack the planning and cobble together the resources to get there and stay there.

PnP makes it too easy for wealthy sparkleponies to just pay a bunch of cash and go in comfort. No need to read the survival guide, no need to plan for cooking, shade, and the sense of community that comes from building a camp and taking care of a camp. I loved a few threads that popped up close to the burn where solo burners were hooking up to share resources and create a camp. Or stories where burners met neighbors and shared. The first year I camped with friends that had a contingent of Japanese burners attached to it. They had happened to be neighbors one year, and the tradition continued- the Japanese burners didn't need to figure out shade, and the rest of us got to learn a bit about Japan & get some killer food cooked for us. But they brought their own costumes, and bikes, food & water. And figured out how to do this from Japan. The comment in the blog post about how PnP allowed some people to get to BM who 'otherwise would not be able to get there'...well that's the point of it being difficult! Either you have some modicum of self-reliance (we aren't even talking about radical self-reliance here), or you don't. I have a feeling that most PnP-ers could figure out how to get here, they just don't want to make the effort. Making an effort is what the burn is all about, and when someone doesn't have to make an effort, why does it surprise us that they end up as spectators or with a sense of entitlement?

When I first learned of camps with large camp dues, it pissed me off. But camping in between two camps with dues, I found out a bit more about it; both had containers, one large, one small. Having storage near the burn enabled the camps that were not located nearby to create more. I didn't see any social stratification though-participation was by all.

We have always had a problem with weekend warriors and the way they don't seem to get the principles. We've seen the sense of entitlement espoused by the 'chicken lady' and others-a sense of privledge that comes from...what? Money? Being a 'famous artist'? I see Burning Man as the great leveler. I love being able to interact with people only in the way they are presenting themselves at the moment, without the wedges and lables that defaultia puts on us by where we live, what we do, how we dress. Burning Man strips all of that away and I can relate to you human to human without any preconcieved ideas about you. Turning the burn into a destination vacation spoils the community we've been building.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Zhust
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Just thought I'd throw in a bit of levity:

Around 3 and G, I think, I passed a guy unloading his truck. There was a yellow tent that had "budget plug-n-play camping" spray-painted haphazardly across the side, and a plush horse/bicycle sprawled in front. He said it was indeed what it said: his friends arrived a few days prior and set it up for him. I thought it was hilarious.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

That's delightful. :lol:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

kfun

Post by kfun » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm glad at the attempt to change the name from plug and play to turnkey camping. But really I want to have a contest to negatively brand such style of camping. I'm all ears. I really am annoyed by tourist on the playa. Please lets do everything to make them understand radical self reliance and not feed into this crap. 60 rv's PLEEEESE. go to vegas.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:10 pm

But so, so, so Cargo Cult!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Time to revive one of our most exciting and nutritious threads...

2013 P-n-P camp for a mere $29,325! I have no idea who the 350 Club is, hope they are not connecting themselves with 350.org.
[ link removed by Sav ]

Second. The website has curators for its offerings. "The Burning Man Project" is a complete violation of trademark, unless he who must not be named is behind it.
[ link removed by Sav ]

Third. The package itself is a violation of trademark.
Who says you have to camp in a tiny tent at Burning Man? These luxury packages give you the comfort and spaciousness of a high-quality RV and the opportunity to experience the one-of-a-kind festival this summer. All your needs will be taken care of, from running water to electricity to a fully stocked fridge with Champagne, meaning you can focus entirely on your journey of self-discovery and illumination. Four bikes are provided with each RV for easy transportation around the festival site. It's an experience you won't forget and you don't want to miss.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

links to be removed in 3

Don't link to anything here!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm

How prescient of you, Lemur!

Yeah, I don't blame Some Seeing Eye for having a laugh and wanting to share (because it's hilarious & disgusting) but I just can't let the actual links stay up.

And I'll probably send an email over to [email protected] in case they would consider that a trademark violation.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 pm

$29,325

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!! DO THEY WIPE MY ASS TO?!!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I ran into these guys, when they were doing that photo shoot in 2011, I came out of the blue can and saw vigorous flames coming off of an object in deep playa so I decided to go check it out. Now that I think of it the Krug dinner table of 100 foolish moopers wasn't far from this site. The f-ing photographer was acting like he owned the place, yelling violently at looky-loos to get the fuck out of his way.. Now I realize where his sense of entitlement came from, it's all making sense now.

It was all about the plug and plays making commercials that year for the following year's "Burn Season". At least their commercial backdrop/stage erupted into flames, allegedly due to bad wiring. Someone took a loss on that. The playa provides...

burning man 2011 107.JPG
burning man 2011 108.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 pm

$30K huh....

I bought an extra ticket for my brother who's coming in from Portland, and I'm bringing and setting up all his gear. He only get's PBR and Cup O'Noodles, but clearly I'm not charging enough.

He says his hookers are the best, though! So I got that going for me...which is nice.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:52 pm

pink wrote:My main issue with these camps (besides people commodifying the burn ON PLAYA), is that getting to Burning Man is not supposed to be easy. The fact that it isn't easy has for a long time weeded out those that just couldn't hack the planning and cobble together the resources to get there and stay there.

PnP makes it too easy for wealthy sparkleponies to just pay a bunch of cash and go in comfort. No need to read the survival guide, no need to plan for cooking, shade, and the sense of community that comes from building a camp and taking care of a camp. I loved a few threads that popped up close to the burn where solo burners were hooking up to share resources and create a camp. Or stories where burners met neighbors and shared. The first year I camped with friends that had a contingent of Japanese burners attached to it. They had happened to be neighbors one year, and the tradition continued- the Japanese burners didn't need to figure out shade, and the rest of us got to learn a bit about Japan & get some killer food cooked for us. But they brought their own costumes, and bikes, food & water. And figured out how to do this from Japan. The comment in the blog post about how PnP allowed some people to get to BM who 'otherwise would not be able to get there'...well that's the point of it being difficult! Either you have some modicum of self-reliance (we aren't even talking about radical self-reliance here), or you don't. I have a feeling that most PnP-ers could figure out how to get here, they just don't want to make the effort. Making an effort is what the burn is all about, and when someone doesn't have to make an effort, why does it surprise us that they end up as spectators or with a sense of entitlement?

When I first learned of camps with large camp dues, it pissed me off. But camping in between two camps with dues, I found out a bit more about it; both had containers, one large, one small. Having storage near the burn enabled the camps that were not located nearby to create more. I didn't see any social stratification though-participation was by all.

We have always had a problem with weekend warriors and the way they don't seem to get the principles. We've seen the sense of entitlement espoused by the 'chicken lady' and others-a sense of privledge that comes from...what? Money? Being a 'famous artist'? I see Burning Man as the great leveler. I love being able to interact with people only in the way they are presenting themselves at the moment, without the wedges and lables that defaultia puts on us by where we live, what we do, how we dress. Burning Man strips all of that away and I can relate to you human to human without any preconcieved ideas about you. Turning the burn into a destination vacation spoils the community we've been building.
The above is very succinct and worth repeating.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:59 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:He says his hookers are the best, though! So I got that going for me...which is nice.

Oh the whorer!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Time to revive one of our most exciting and nutritious threads...

2013 P-n-P camp for a mere $29,325! I have no idea who the 350 Club is, hope they are not connecting themselves with 350.org.
[ link removed by Sav ]

Second. The website has curators for its offerings. "The Burning Man Project" is a complete violation of trademark, unless he who must not be named is behind it.
[ link removed by Sav ]

Third. The package itself is a violation of trademark.
Who says you have to camp in a tiny tent at Burning Man? These luxury packages give you the comfort and spaciousness of a high-quality RV and the opportunity to experience the one-of-a-kind festival this summer. All your needs will be taken care of, from running water to electricity to a fully stocked fridge with Champagne, meaning you can focus entirely on your journey of self-discovery and illumination. Four bikes are provided with each RV for easy transportation around the festival site. It's an experience you won't forget and you don't want to miss.
Awww, I'd love to see the links so I could check them out. I've always had this morbid curiosity.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Some Seeing Eye. The info's been forwarded. Please resist the temptation to post links to their pages. We know your point is for shock/outrage value, but we do not want them getting a single additional page view.

If you should find listings or advertisements for turnkey camping operations that you think may be in violation of the guidelines, by all means send an email to [email protected] and/or [email protected] (if the company is offering on-playa delivery of equipment). They'll investigate, and get the appropriate people involved to take action as necessary.

I'm also moving this thread over to the Politics & Philosophy board, as I think that's a better fit for the ongoing discussion.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks to Mr Lemur! He jumped right on my red meat bait, well done!

I'm actually with the mods on this, hoped it would stay somewhat obscure in a 2012 camp thread! But fine to dispatch it so quickly and efficiently.

And being lazy, I didn't have to notify the BORG.

As for the content, you got the whole thing except for a stock photo of a middling class A. The rest of the site, not really that interesting.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 pm

too bad the links are gone. There is a $250,000.00 opportunity to build an art car there also.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 pm

The site now says error 404. Hahaha guess they got the point.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Return to “Philosophical Center”