Put Your Butt Here

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Put Your Butt Here

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I have about ten twelve coffee tin sitting around.

Will plan to bring them to TTITD for "Street" butt cans..

How many tins do you have :?: Will you bring then to be place as street butt cans :?:

They can be placed with about 1/3 playa sand so they don't blow away..

You would be expected to maintain the can..

Some asses will dump there stuff. So that would have be taken care of..

Making sure you take them back as black Rock City closes down.

How many REAL BURNERS will sign on for this small project :?:
unjonharley

Re: Put Your Butt Here

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm

If you still have the lids, cut a 2" hole in it to keep the butts from blowing out.

I use paint cans.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

FIGJAM wrote:If you still have the lids, cut a 2" hole in it to keep the butts from blowing out.

I use paint cans.

Coffee tins only have a plastic lid.. Would that work :?:
unjonharley

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 pm

I would rather gift personal cigarette tins than have to be responsible for taking other people's concentrated smelly trash like that off the playa. peeyew. My opinion on the real burner vote is that they don't let other people off the hook for managing their own trash. Same as why aren't there public trash cans. Might be my opinion since I don't smoke anymore. Plus I don't like doing other people's work.
I wish you success and would be curious to know if it reduced cigarette moop or not in those areas if you do try it.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm going to try it at street corner signs.. This is where I pick up most moop..

Butt are pain in DPW ass after the burn..
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm

unjonharley wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:If you still have the lids, cut a 2" hole in it to keep the butts from blowing out.

I use paint cans.

Coffee tins only have a plastic lid.. Would that work :?:

They'll be easier to cut the holes in, then I would probably glue them on.

The point being that if the wind blows hard or they get tipped over the butts don't spill out.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey if you want to make those cans even cooler, take a tool to them and cut a pattern into their sides so they look like Jack-O-Lanterns. You can then put some inexpensive lights in there to make them "glow".

You can then hang them to posts around the city. I would expect, however, that come the end of the event, people will try to take them home, possibly dumping the contents in the process. Some way to make it difficult to dump might be good for those snatch and go people.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 am

If the cans have open tops, I believe they will turn into tiny overflowing trash cans. A lid with ciggie sized holes is about the only way to go.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:08 am

AntiM wrote:If the cans have open tops, I believe they will turn into tiny overflowing trash cans. A lid with ciggie sized holes is about the only way to go.

How many butt cans are you going to bring?
unjonharley

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 am

AntiM wrote:If the cans have open tops, I believe they will turn into tiny overflowing trash cans. A lid with ciggie sized holes is about the only way to go.

I like that Idea. Use the plastic lid for the coffee can and a hole punch of the right size and punch in a pattern of butt holes.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 am

VultureChow
a pattern of butt holes.

:lol: :lol:

(I'm 12 years old today)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Chowski » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am

Yeah, I'm a cigarette smoker, and I have to say, I think this is a bad idea even if the intention is totally right on. We have guest ashtrays at our camp (usually gatorade bottles with a little water in them, taped to stable structures with the lids on) that we empty and replace as the week goes by. But that is what we do IN OUR OWN CAMP as a courtesy to visiting guests (and to ease our Moop-sweeping), not as a public service to random strangers on the street.

But to set up ashtrays across the city seems to defeat the principle of radical self-reliance. It will only encourage buttwads to moop without "mooping", to discard their trash without consequence. Setting aside the nasty frequency with which these cans would need to be monitored and emptied, I think the temptation to use them as public trash cans would be too strong for enough people as to INCREASE rather than decrease the amount of moop. I have visions of trash and butts overflowing, and the potential for unattended fires is real.

As a smoker, I would LOVE to run across a clean, convenient ashtray here and there, but there are so many variables with this scenario, I just think it would ultimately set a bad example to newbs and could potentially be dangerous, and more moop-producing than moop-relieving.
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

unjonharley wrote:

How many butt cans are you going to bring?

I'm bringing gift tins for pocket ashtrays. A different way to address the issue.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gaminwench » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I decorate coffee BUTT cans, and altoid tins every year. We use a couple of the BUTT cans in camp, I gift the extra to Mutant Vehicles and neighbor camps.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Chowski wrote:but there are so many variables with this scenario, I just think it would ultimately set a bad example to newbs and could potentially be dangerous, and more moop-producing than moop-relieving.

There are a lot of people out there who will use any excuse to not take care of their own MOOP - look at all the crap left in & around the porta-potties. Having a "butt-bin" in your camp is one thing, leaving them on a corner is a recipe for disaster, unless you plan on checking on them every few hours every day the entire Burn, which honestly sounds like hell to me. "Oh, I'm sorry, this is a great conversation but I have to go clean out the neighborhood butt-bin I put out before it overflows"

Radical Self-Reliance: you smoke, you clean it up. I have nothing against the altoid tins, that puts the responsibility on the smoker, not someone else.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Eric wrote:
Chowski wrote:but there are so many variables with this scenario, I just think it would ultimately set a bad example to newbs and could potentially be dangerous, and more moop-producing than moop-relieving.

There are a lot of people out there who will use any excuse to not take care of their own MOOP - look at all the crap left in & around the porta-potties. Having a "butt-bin" in your camp is one thing, leaving them on a corner is a recipe for disaster, unless you plan on checking on them every few hours every day the entire Burn, which honestly sounds like hell to me. "Oh, I'm sorry, this is a great conversation but I have to go clean out the neighborhood butt-bin I put out before it overflows"

One thing about this idea is that it be aborted once the tender realizes it's too much. Just take the can back to camp...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Gonzo and I will be taking out about 40 shit brown spray painted AssTrays out this year. They have a Thank you for Giving a Shit sticker on the bottom with advertising about baby-wipes. Loverly schwag! Very well received.

I truly appreciate the sentiment unjon, but I have to just say it out loud: public trash receptacles are not so prudent. I've had to field this concept with the porta-johns. They become a moop factory in no time. But feel free to put one in front of your camp with 3" of dirt in them, or stake them down with 1' headed stakes. It could draw in customers. My horror thought is: If you put a lit cigarette in a couple inches of butts in 100 degrees, it will catch on fire.
Loving you unjon, we still have 4 weeks to work on this.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby portaplaya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 pm

How does DPW or a passing Ranger distinguish these from MOOP left in the wrong place by some camp?
portaplaya

Return to Leave No Trace