Placement required for early entry volunteers

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:59 pm

I have no interest in camping twice.
When I wasn't allowed to set up in camp before, I stayed where I was at first.
They had better plan on that for most people.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 pm

On the flip side, if you're volunteering so you can grab prime space before the gates open, consider yourself deterred (and yes, the space outside Esplanade/A is most definitely prime space). If location isn't really important, then G or beyond shouldn't matter.

The change isn't that new of an attempt at organizing the city - placement's had guidelines that unregistered camps arriving early should camp at G or beyond since as early as 2006 (first time I'd heard it as a participant), though the way things were organized it was difficult for them to manage and enforce. However this is the year - from the very start, the no unregistered camps between Esplanade and G has been communicated consistently and clearly to all the teams and departments. As Savannah said, you may care to get in touch with your team leader.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby zerzura » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 am

trilobyte wrote:On the flip side, if you're volunteering so you can grab prime space before the gates open, consider yourself deterred (and yes, the space outside Esplanade/A is most definitely prime space). If location isn't really important, then G or beyond shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't base volunteering on this, but location does matter for various people for quite a number of reasons. (I assume when you say "you" in that statement you are not speaking directly to me when you suggest I am volunteering just to grab space. I just have a different opinion and am asking some questions). Maybe you have no problem being so far from open playa, but for others such as an ungranted (and therefore unplaced as an art support camp) artist who needs to support their project it is a true burden. If someone does a number of shifts at DMV, getting all the way from G to the DMV will be an immense hike. Just two examples. What I believe will happen next year is that there will be a huge influx asking for theme camp placement, just on the hopes of reserving closer space (even if those people have no intention of a true theme camp); and/or there will be a lot of temporary camping until Sunday, with lots of driving around Sunday night with existing early arrivees pulling up stakes and moving closer.

trilobyte wrote:The change isn't that new of an attempt at organizing the city - placement's had guidelines that unregistered camps arriving early should camp at G or beyond since as early as 2006 (first time I'd heard it as a participant), though the way things were organized it was difficult for them to manage and enforce. However this is the year - from the very start, the no unregistered camps between Esplanade and G has been communicated consistently and clearly to all the teams and departments. As Savannah said, you may care to get in touch with your team leader.

I have never heard this before, I have been volunteering since 2005 and granted early arrival for either volunteering or with an art project since 2007. I'd be interested where you read this as I was always told to not camp in the reserved for theme camp areas, and in more recent years not on A as well.

I'm sure it will all shake out some way or another.
zerzura

Postby misfit » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 am

>>>>getting all the way from G to the DMV will be an immense hike.
you must have missed the invention of the bicycle....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby lemur » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 pm

i cant bring a bike.

and the yellow bikes arent unleashed early on
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby zerzura » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 pm

misfit wrote:>>>>getting all the way from G to the DMV will be an immense hike.
you must have missed the invention of the bicycle....

I believe an immense bike would be just as apt.
zerzura

Previous

Return to Open Discussion