2nd Big "Rescue" - and how do women do it?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

2nd Big "Rescue" - and how do women do it?

Postby moonwookie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 am

Carry all this weight in taffeta and tulle during their weddings, that is. Stuff weighs a ton.

A weird little shop nearby was closing its doors and moving, and took the opportunity to dump a lot of second hand stuff on the sidewalk (yeah, I know...told you it was a rescue). They sold framed art, second hand clothing, and operated a mailbox center, all in the same crowded storefront.

Among other things that WERE junk, there was a pile of tulle, in several colors, including red. I wanted some scarf stuff that flew in the wind since I always wanted to dance that way. There were several yards of heavier material in purple and white, plus some sickly pale green which I took anyway...:) Then, in one great big bag, was a massive wedding dress bottom (with a spider waist, go figure), plus an incredibly beautiful "thing" that just begged to be made into a cape. It was also majorly heavy, though, so who knows.

My other rescue, several months ago, I am only NOW finding good uses for. There was this tiny purple sweater with securely sewn in spangle edge that said it was for women but seemed more made for a large doll. That, together with the ruffles I pulled off a white shirt also in that pile, will make a great unicorn hat, complete with mane.

I have been thrift shopping, and three outfits are already taking shape. This stuff is a lot of fun, once you finally nail down the direction you want to go.

P.S. Too bad this is Sunday and our dumpster is full, or I would have done at least a bit more to help get the obvious crap off the sidewalk. We get enough dead sofas scattered all over as it is.
moonwookie

Burning Since: 2013

Re: 2nd Big "Rescue" - and how do women do it?

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:56 pm

I love found stuff. Sounds like you made the find of the year.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby moonwookie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:51 pm

I did figure out what that "thing" is - it's a wedding dress train that's about 12 feet long.
moonwookie

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 pm

My mind is running away with the awesomeness that could be with that!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby moonwookie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Yeah, me too. It IS crazy heavy, though, and no layers to separate to make it lighter. The trim is something else.

My biggest problem is I don't have a sewing machine. And synthetics shed like mad when you cut them. Hot glue to the rescue, I guess.

I did notice with an earlier project (a vest made out of jeans scraps) that hot glue doesn't hold denim worth a damn. I've got a truckload of sketches, from the incredibly simple to the ridiculously ambitious. I do need to keep in mind how much time I have left...:)
moonwookie

Postby moonwookie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:21 pm

And then, what I thought was a failed bit of fluff turned out to be a flower girl dress turned inside out. Purple velvet with little white roses. I know there are places where you can bring outfits you don't need or want anymore. Do they have something like that for the kids?
moonwookie

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Some synthetics will melt, after making a cut try running a lighter across the fresh cut and see how well that holds the edge from fraying, like when you see the end of a nylon rope that's been burnt.

Also most thrift stores will accept donations.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby moonwookie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Just have to concentrate on not setting anything ON fire...:)

Found one more bit tucked inside the materials I rescued - a "lab coat" for a nail salon. It has the same look as that Oriental-style robe I got at Goodwill that was deep blue on one side and flourescent green on the other, except this one is pure white. It's every bit as much of a blank slate as my warm weather coat, which I'm finally zeroing in on a design for (think lights behind a clear window painted in a flame design and geometric sections of purple and burgundy curtain material).

As for that robe, I know which side I'll be wearing out...:) That and those deep blue pajamas printed with moons and stars that I got at the Goodwill at the same time.
moonwookie

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

If you're getting married, and you must have a ceremony, rent your dress so that you don't need to store that monstrosity in the closet for the 0.5-20 years you're married.

Or gift it to a burner.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonwookie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Those people who get married naked have the right idea.
moonwookie

Postby Misti » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 am

moonwookie wrote:And then, what I thought was a failed bit of fluff turned out to be a flower girl dress turned inside out. Purple velvet with little white roses. I know there are places where you can bring outfits you don't need or want anymore. Do they have something like that for the kids?

There are places like that, In my area theres one called Kid to Kid. You could try freecycle too.
Misti

Return to Clothing & Playawear