Nevada Food License

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Nevada Food License

Postby trilobyte » Sun May 26, 2013 9:38 am

Serving food to the public on the playa? Does your camp have a kitchen that's preparing meals for more than 125 people (regardless of whether they're in your camp or not)? Does your awesome bar plan on using something beyond the basic soda or bottled juice mixers, or infuse/brew your own concoctions? If so, you're going to need to get a Nevada temporary event health permit.

Go here to get more information including guidelines, checklists, and the all-important application form.

You have to fill this out and apply in advance. The health department has an on-playa location (they operate out of Playa Info), but that's only for picking up permits.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Nevada Food License

Postby EspressoDude » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 am

they also wander around BRC and do inspections
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby jkisha » Sun May 26, 2013 2:41 pm

And they are actually very courteous and provide great tips for food service safety. (Assuming you have a permit. I have no clue how they react if they find someone serving food without a permit.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lemur » Sun May 26, 2013 2:44 pm

i think that could be a bit more clear:

serving food to any people not in your camp on the playa? (i.e. the general public?) you need a permit

serving food to ONLY YOUR CAMP (no general public) ? but its 125 people or more? you need a permit
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 26, 2013 4:02 pm

giving people shots of vodka that I have infused with fruit in an un-inspected kitchen is right out.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 am

That's why I used separate sentences, but I'll make an edit for clarity (and specify the infusions as well as home brewing).

Yes, they do inspections on playa (and like jkisha said, are really nice people), and yes they will shut you down if you're: serving food to the public without a permit, or operating a kitchen preparing food for 125 or more people without a permit, or your bar's doing freshy mixers or homegrown infusions without a permit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby TT120 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 am

So as long as I only make 124 brownies, I should be ok.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby lucky420 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 pm

:mrgreen: yessssss
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby socks » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 pm

I checked out the site and in a nut shell they want 50.00 from me to give away
electrolyte replacement drinks.Its just another money grab.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby lemur » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 pm

then dont give out free shit.
lemur

Postby lemur » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

i think that the food licensing is a valuable service... even informed people get it wrong sometimes..

perhaps there is no value in it for peopel handing out electrolyte mix, but for someone with a big camp serving real food the whole week to hundreds of people...... it can be valuable to have an experienced person give things a once over..

the last thing i wanted when i managed a big kitchen out on the playa for 200+ people was to get people sick, during their vacation.. in an inhospitable desert.

they made me feel like i wasnt gonna risk peoples health and safety, and that is a good thing.
lemur

Postby lemur » Thu May 30, 2013 8:16 pm

plus: force of govt inspectors and 'the law' encourages people to do the right thing.

you think people would give a shit if it was a free for all? ......i dont.
lemur

Postby Eric » Thu May 30, 2013 8:29 pm

socks wrote:I checked out the site and in a nut shell they want 50.00 from me to give away
electrolyte replacement drinks.Its just another money grab.

So give out store bought electrolyte powder packs. As long as it's not something made fresh, they don't care. Besides, lots of people would rather mix a name-brand powder into their own water than take something without knowing exactly what it is. If you buy early you can probably find a good price for a bulk purchase, and it will take up less room than the ingredients to make your own.

Personally, unless I'm at a theme camp or know the person I tend to stay away from random playa food, unless I see that permit on their mobile food thing (cart, stand, whatever). I remember the year that the staff commissary was hit with the runs ('06, I think?), and that's a permitted kitchen. They don't want people to get sick, and take precautions against it, but it can still happen. Why would I want to risk getting the runs from someone who doesn't think following food safety laws is something they need to do?

If you think it's just a "money grab", I certainly don't trust the care you're going to bring to making sure other people don't get sick.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby FIGJAM » Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 pm

"the last thing i wanted when i managed a big kitchen out on the playa for 200+ people was to get people sick, during their vacation.. in an inhospitable desert."

Then right after that...

"you think people would give a shit if it was a free for all? ......i dont."

I have enough confidence in myself to prepare any number of meals without anything I do making people sick, without any agency looking over my shoulder.

I can't help it if they don't wash thier hands. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lemur » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm

i did everything that the nevada health dept required before they added the rule that people serving to members of their own 125+ person theme camp needed to get a license.

but im not everyone, and neither are you..
lemur

Postby lemur » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 pm

plan for the worst, hope for the best.
lemur

Postby BurnerBunny » Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 pm

part of my burning man experience is escaping things like permits. fuck em
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby lemur » Thu May 30, 2013 8:55 pm

really ?

i know burning man is fun, and we can run around without pants on... but how is disregarding people looking out for your health and safety a part of your experience ?

im hoping youre not one of those people who is upset that there are police at the event ...

ive never really understood this mindset/expectation....

sure, its fun, but its still america, and there are laws.. sometimes thats a good thing.
lemur

Postby socks » Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Eric , Thanks for the tip on the single servings to by pass the permit. That is a great idea. But the leap you took
because I resent the idea that I must have a permit to serve something is baffling. You implied that because I called it
a money grab that "my care" in preparing the electrolyte drink would be in doubt. What in hell does one have to do with another.
I would never serve anything on the playa that was even suspect. In my default life I deal with Cal OSHA and their regulations on
heat stress and electrolyte use on the job sites. I know safe use and handling of electrolyte replacement drinks and more to the point I teach this
on the oil patch. So do you really think I would serve something that would get someone sick.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 pm

TT120, all kidding aside, only if you won't be giving any of said brownies to anyone outside your camp (ie 'the public')

To the others grousing and complaining.... Get over it or don't serve food to the public. Yep, it's a shame, you didn't used to need to get a permit. You also didn't used to need to pre-register mutant vehicles, and lots of other stuff that's evolved and changed over the years. It's a combination of the event growing up, and one too many well-meaning burners who figured they had their kitchen under control...and didn't.

On the pre-packaged thing, you're only in the clear on avoiding the need for a permit if you're handing out the unopened packets.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 31, 2013 7:28 pm

I think the com-misery year must have been 05, because I heard about it, and I don't think I would have without Scott's radio...
And, yeah, I hate having the trots, and thinking about trots'n'jots doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BurnerBunny » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 pm

lemur wrote:really ?
i know burning man is fun, and we can run around without pants on... but how is disregarding people looking out for your health and safety a part of your experience ?

As an agorist I don't believe that they are looking out for my health or safety. Go love your permits and your police all you want, but that isn't for me and it wouldn't hurt you to respect people who feel differently about the role of government than you do.
BurnerBunny

Postby lemur » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:12 am

it IS for you....whether you like it or not.....its for your own good.

stop whining and take your medicine:

lemur

Postby BurnerBunny » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 am

i'm not going to dignify that with a response. oh wait, I just did. god dammit! :oops:

I'm bringing popsicles to hand out this year, and assuming my dry ice holds up I'm going to ask anyone who wants one if they'd like me to open it for them. mhhahahahahahahahahaha 8)

take that powers that be! my popsicle stunt is likely to take down the whole system, so bring extra blankets
BurnerBunny

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Just wait until vaccinations are necessary for entry to burning man. Can't get in the gate until you get your "non-fatal" mercury dose. Oh and Arctica is flouridating the ice this year. For YOUR safety.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Having had ER-worthy food poisoning last month, I'm not sad to see food permits for mass feedings. I can't imagine lying on the playa, ejecting liquid matter from both ends, unable to get up, allowing others to clean me, for several hours. That sucked at home and on a hospital gurney, it would suck a million times more at Burning Man.

It wasn't the trots, it was collapse and evacuate.

Screw buffets on Mother's Day.

Wash yer hands.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby portaplaya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:06 pm

The Nevada State Health Services is directed by state law to create regulations that apply to everyone in their state.

From the grumbling here I believe that people either think they are special and these laws/regulations don't apply to them or they feel the laws are wrong and banquets, caterers, events and restaurants should not be regulated. I would appreciate hearing from the naysayers which category they fall into and an explanation as to why they feel this way.
portaplaya

Postby atomicray » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 am

I have been a food handler and chef for the majority of my adult life, cranking 48yrs currently, and I had a couple thoughts on the permits and those questioning the mandate for the same.

1. cost...is it is the cost that causes issue I wonder? If the permits were free or you could trade for them, say with a used pair of socks or an old shoe or maybe an off key song, that would make it ok or better?

2. reason...there is a fine reason for establishing food handling processes and regulating the same, because it is important...getting people sick is quite easy to do and so is doing as much as possible to avoid the same...information and training is quite simply essential.

3. serving yourself...the idea of making a meal and sharing it is a rewarding moment that all should experience...but providing opportunity for giving the forward and reverse expulsion of bodily fluids should never be experienced or shared.

4. why...why regulate people who handle food? Because people are lazy. Not in the "you lazy bastard" sort of lazy, but more along the lines of "oh god how will I ever be able to keep up with my planned menu timing" panic sort of situation that allows a clear thinking person to forget to wash their hands, clean their tools, and take the right steps.

No one wants to make others sick, so we the people agreed that having a body of peers who are specifically trained to enforce the established safety guidelines with training, education, and inspections is important and necessary.

As for the idea that the event is an opportunity for doing what you want...sure that makes sense...as long as what you want to do does not put others in harms way. Like not washing your hands and touching someone's food or drink before they consume it.

Prove you care about your fellow burner by not being a complete and absolute piece of shit by not ignoring a simple step to help others avoid being sick...on purpose...yes, by ignoring the sanitation standards you will make others sick...it can still happen, as we are frail creatures on the whole and react differently to stimuli, especially new or different food/drink...but making the effort to follow the established minimums is always welcome and it is required.

If you do not like it, then do not serve anything...problem solved.

If your burn experience is to do whatever the fuck you want to whoever you want regardless of the potential outcome, well that is potentially criminal thinking and not following some idealistic or esoteric philosophy.

You want to burn as you want, yes! If this burning directly affects others in a way that can alter their health and well being, no.

But any civil person knows this. To call attention to one's self regarding the idea of fuck the system because you don't want to be told what to do regarding others health is just immature and notes a significant lack of growth on your part, good luck with life as a perpetual 10yr old.

If you want to serve prepared food/drinks then get the permit, follow the rules, and enjoy life knowing you did what you could to provide a wholesome product...if not, well then you are this guy or worse...

"Step up, schmuck, get some dealing done"
"H20, that's my go"
"Don't you understand? This is water. You can't live without it"
"What's a little fallout, huh? Have a nice day!"

Don't be a douche...don't be that guy...get a permit...wash your hands.

\ :shock:
"Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:47 am

atomicray
You are now at risk for being expelled from the board. Too sensible by far.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:37 am

BurnerBunny wrote:part of my burning man experience is escaping things like permits. fuck em

Permit is just another name for a ticket. So I guess if you will be escaping the permit needed to attend, we won't be seeing you at the event this year. fuck em
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Next

Return to Food & Drink