One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 24, 2013 9:09 am

Bid of a coleman vintage camp oven.. It will could keep the pancakes and hashbrowns warm while the eggs are cooking. Could borrow Grandfathers but a vintage one would go with the theme
unjonharley

Postby lemur » Fri May 24, 2013 5:08 pm

hooray.

had some 450+ dollars in a 'travel funds' account on southwest from a cancelled trip ..... they were to expire on sunday and i read the terms wrong thinking i could book by sunday and fly whenever.. well that wasnt the case, i had to book and fly by the expiration date

called up the customer care ppls at southwest, real friendly and with a reasonable fee taken from the funds (reasonable compared to getting zero) i was able to obtain a 6 month extension which should make payin for burning man flight much easier!

so.. by this time next week i should get my voucher thing and be able to buy my plane tickets.. hooray.

next thing: start begging around to find a ticket
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lucky420 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Sweet, congratulations lemur!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ratty » Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Good going Lemur. Are you in STEP? I got my ticket last week.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 pm

lemur wrote:next thing: start begging around to find a ticket

Would you care to reveal some of your strategy? Going for the Laughing Forest effect? Or... ?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Ratty wrote:Good going Lemur. Are you in STEP? I got my ticket last week.

not yet... i still am between houses.. living in a hotel right now... ive found a place but cant move in yet..

was a bit hesitant to put in an old address on the registration thing.

should be able to move in to the new place june 1st... wont probably be settled till around the 10th as my stuff doesnt arrive until the 6th.

s0 yeah.. will ask around among friends and if they cant help i will sign up for step and the last minute sale thingie
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 24, 2013 10:57 pm

I hope you make it this year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 pm

I've got no tickets either...

But, I've been working on stuff. The Land Yacht moved under it's own power today for the first time since '08. And I spent at least two hours pressure washing it - it was put away wet and neglected for the last 5 years.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Ratty » Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 am

I started making my Little Big-Top. This will be fun.

Lemur, Step tickets are all picked up at will-call. You just need an email address.
Ratty

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I've got no tickets either...

But, I've been working on stuff. The Land Yacht moved under it's own power today for the first time since '08. And I spent at least two hours pressure washing it - it was put away wet and neglected for the last 5 years.

you'll get a ticket, goddammit!!

and yay for the land yacht! i can't wait to take a ride :D
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 am

Going to finish the hoodies today and start working on our giant 12x20 twister mat. Does anyone by chance know how to make a big twister spinner? Like one that stands up right?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Ratty » Sat May 25, 2013 8:21 am

I've been toying with the idea of a wheel of misfortune. You spin it and it tells you where you must go immediately. Or what you have to do right now. It would be made of a bicycle rim. They spin freely. And you can easily find a free one.
Ratty

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat May 25, 2013 8:31 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:
you'll get a ticket, goddammit!!

and yay for the land yacht! i can't wait to take a ride :D

If you don't find me before, then just climb aboard after the Meet & Grope at Doc Pyros' on Wednesday! The First Mate is from Florida too.
If you see the boat and yell "Captain Goddammit" I'll hit the brakes... there's room to toss your bike on, if you're riding one.
There's usually ice, tequila, and margarita mix, and a blender in the cabin. The compass and radar are broken though...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 am

Ratty wrote:I've been toying with the idea of a wheel of misfortune. You spin it and it tells you where you must go immediately. Or what you have to do right now. It would be made of a bicycle rim. They spin freely. And you can easily find a free one.

Oh that might work!!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 am

tattoogoddess wrote:Going to finish the hoodies today and start working on our giant 12x20 twister mat. Does anyone by chance know how to make a big twister spinner? Like one that stands up right?

I think an easy thing might use an old bike wheel. Don't know for certain. Other camps have done spinners and I never looked at one closely.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby lucky420 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:36 am

Rope, para cord, solar lights, some sweet scissors for cutting silk for Dye with Dignity.

And I called Budget to reconfirm my August rental...yep I'm in! YAY!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Milayna » Sat May 25, 2013 11:47 am

I have been slacking big bigtime the last couple weeks, but today I realized that I'm running out of time fast!!! I still have so much to do!!!! So I'm editing and working on my need vs want list, gotta make sure all the needs are met before I get more of the "want" stuff :)
Milayna

Postby MikeGyver » Sat May 25, 2013 12:17 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:
Ratty wrote:I've been toying with the idea of a wheel of misfortune. You spin it and it tells you where you must go immediately. Or what you have to do right now. It would be made of a bicycle rim. They spin freely. And you can easily find a free one.

Oh that might work!!

For something like twister I would get a wheel off a kids bike so its only about 13" unless you want it large... I just think handheld would be better than a 22" wheel
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby unjonharley » Sat May 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:

Oh that might work!!

For something like twister I would get a wheel off a kids bike so its only about 13" unless you want it large... I just think handheld would be better than a 22" wheel

Leave it in the fork.. It will make a handle for you..
unjonharley

Postby 171/348 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Picked up 4 yards of this cool fabric yesterday. My first thought was vest and maybe hat but now I'm thinking pants. If you have a JoAn fabric near you, they are having a good sale (this was half price) and are giving an extra 20% off this weekend for Vets. So in stead of $10 a yard it was $4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
171/348

Postby lemur » Sat May 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Ratty wrote:I started making my Little Big-Top. This will be fun.

Lemur, Step tickets are all picked up at will-call. You just need an email address.

yeah but larry wants an address to go with the registration on his large tracking thing known as a BURNER PROFILE...... you cant get to the STEP thing without filling that crap out and i didnt wanta put old stuff or fake stuff
lemur

Postby Ratty » Sat May 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Just put your relatives address. It's not like they are gonna mail you a fireball. Get into step. It can't hurt.
Ratty

Postby Savannah » Sat May 25, 2013 4:57 pm

171/348 wrote:Picked up 4 yards of this cool fabric yesterday. My first thought was vest and maybe hat but now I'm thinking pants. If you have a JoAn fabric near you, they are having a good sale (this was half price) and are giving an extra 20% off this weekend for Vets. So in stead of $10 a yard it was $4

Love that fabric!

I hope you make pants AND a hat. Either really tight pants, or really loose flowy pants, nothing in between. :D

When you have fabric that fabulous I'm of the opinion that you have to make two things. One item is great, but two things become a Look.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat May 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Ratty wrote:Just put your relatives address. It's not like they are gonna mail you a fireball. Get into step. It can't hurt.

wait, it's still possible to register for step even now? i have a friend who i'm trying to talk into going. of course she doesn't have a ticket so if step is an option that would be good to know
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby Savannah » Sat May 25, 2013 8:15 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
Ratty wrote:Just put your relatives address. It's not like they are gonna mail you a fireball. Get into step. It can't hurt.

wait, it's still possible to register for step even now? i have a friend who i'm trying to talk into going. of course she doesn't have a ticket so if step is an option that would be good to know

STEP is still open--it closes July 31st at Noon PST. Send her this link.
http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#step

Is the lack of a ticket her chief objection? You've probably heard this, but many people who require persuasion aren't ready . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby tatonka » Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:You can tell it's not a fridge because there's no access hatch on the exterior behind it. No hot water faucet on sink means no hot water heater, which is kinda' moot cuz no shower. Let me tell ya', your own nice hot shower is solid gold on the playa! If it had a grey water tank it would be under the rear of the camper, you'd see it and the drain valve.
Really, I'd pass on it. And I'm no snooty rich guy.

PM me about whatever camper you are gonna look at, I've had a lot of them, I'll have a look and tell ya' what things to look for, where the hidden damage and rot is, etc.
Always check the fridge, that's the most expensive item in the thing and in an old camper it's probably worth more than the whole rest of the thing. Physically verify that it gets cold. If it smells like ammonia, it's history. If it doesn't work, don't believe anything the seller says about why, or about how easy or cheap to fix it is. It isn't. And if it was, he'd have done it. If it works on propane but not on AC or DC, no big deal, you'll run it on propane all the time anyway.

Opinion on this one ?

http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/3812383624.html
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 am

Too much money for something that old.

I would'nt offer more than $300 for anything older than 1980, and it would have to look loke mint condition at that. 8)

For $800 you could build your own custom rig.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 am

I think I'd go grab that one! Great camper, great price. I like it!

I had an old Bell... those things were well equipped nice rigs. For the money, if that thing is as decent as it appears in the photos and the stuff in it works, I think you might have found a great unit! But check the fridge, if it's original it's pretty dam old, and like I said, those camper fridges are expensive. I always throw in a few ice chests just in case mine dies on the playa, since ice is available.
One year I had a camper fridge die just before Burning Man; replacing it was beyond financial sanity, so I got a similar-size electric mini fridge from Home Depot for like $150. That meant I had to keep the generator on 24/7 but it worked.

It will be heavy. Your Ford can do it, I carried one like it on my '76. Rancho 9000 shocks set on full stiff helped, and some overload springs or airbags did too. But your truck will haul it even as-is.

Next thing to think about is camper tie-down brackets...

Figjam is right, it's awful old for a camper, they do fall apart, but if it's been stored under cover and isn't soft and rotted, I don't think you'll have an easy time finding one that decent for that little money. And I disagree that you can build one that cheap, that has everything that rig has. Figjam's got a good point about older-than-about-1980 too... earlier campers often have no waste-water containment tanks.... check it carefully, it's damn old in camper-years, buy if it's really, really nice.
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Goddammit

Postby tatonka » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 am

tie down brkts? campers dont come with these? This is to secure it to the truck?
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby trilobyte » Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 am

Fun-looking fabric, which reminds me we need to go hit up our wholesale joint. I need to check and see what kind of hides they have, and then generally scope out what's new and what kind of deals they've got going on over the next few weeks.

My raptor nails for workholding came in as hoped on Friday, so hooray for that. Then yesterday I had a fruitful trip to the lumber yard, picked up a great piece of wood that I'll cut up into smaller panels for a project on the laser cutter. We were both up bright and early this morning and finally got the chance to discuss what we wanted to do on a t-shirt project, and I was able to get an order in for both shirts and supplies (inks & screens) for what I want to do. Now to go get my ass in gear and get stuff prepped for today's work on the laser cutter and shopbot...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks