Feature suggestions

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Re: Feature suggestions

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:06 pm

BBadger wrote:I was just about to ask for Ctrl-I/B/U etc. shortcut keys for italic/bold/underline, but I just discovered that I can use Alt-Shift-<key> to do that. For example, Alt-Shift-B for bold.

Huh, I just tried Alt-Shift-S and it posted a reply instead of doing a strikeout.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Bob wrote:
BBadger wrote:I was just about to ask for Ctrl-I/B/U etc. shortcut keys for italic/bold/underline, but I just discovered that I can use Alt-Shift-<key> to do that. For example, Alt-Shift-B for bold.

Huh, I just tried Alt-Shift-S and it posted a reply instead of doing a strikeout.

Yeah, strikeout isn't a standard/common text modifier, so it's not linked to anything. Alt-shift-Y doesn't youtube things either.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:19 am

Maybe the eplaya needs a *special* forum for threads that the mods intend to heavily edit by deleting relatively innocuous posts with virtually no explanation.

More specifically, I'd prefer that if org functionaries want to communicate in a very controlled and controlling fashion, they keep it on the main or blog-dot websites.

Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 am

[ahem] That said, I would have deleted the entire rape thread because it seemed problematic wrt the TOS and legal implications from the very first post.

Bob

Postby BBadger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 am

Can the Youtube tag support timestamps (e.g. the "#t=33s" in "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQGfk9Gmgo#t=33s") so that for some videos we can have it jump to a specific point in the video?

Note how this does not work:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQGfk9Gmgo#t=33s[/youtube]

It might even be better to just use a more universal video embedding plugin such as this (supports vimeo and other sites within a [video] tag):

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13146021
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 am

Funny you should mention that, it's being tested now along with a couple others.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 am

You know that thing link on the right of the screen, just above the listings of the sub-fora that reads "Mark Forums Read"? Can you make that read "Mark Fora Read". Because, I like irregular plurals, and wish for them to be maintained as much as possible.

Please
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:09 am

Sorry, no.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 am

In the spirit of the 'new users guide to ePlaya', maybe a look at the email that goes out when people get upon first signing up.

The email could have a short call to action, a note on culture and some links.

No guarantees they would read it, but it is a teachable moment.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby PL_FL » Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 am

I have a suggestion for a FORUM, under this:
Board index ‹ ePlaya :: Burning Man for the other 51 weeks ‹ Preparation
The title could be = FLY-INS

As a fly-in, I’m often searching through other forums to find stuff just for us, since lot of it does not apply. For instance, Keeping Cool… Swamp Coolers, Evaporators, etc, can’t be stored in the overhead bins :) So, you need to plow through stuff just to find relevant items.

Anyhow, just a thought. And by the way, eplaya has been EXTREMELY USEFUL to a virgin like me. I’ve read hundreds of posts and although you can never be fully prepared, I’m thinking I probably won’t DIE out there thanks to you folks!
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Burning Since: 2013

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 am

Questions and discussions related to flying in would fall under the Preparation -> Transportation board (since flying is a form of transportation).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 24, 2013 9:58 am

PL_FL wrote:I have a suggestion for a FORUM, under this:
Board index ‹ ePlaya :: Burning Man for the other 51 weeks ‹ Preparation
The title could be = FLY-INS

As a fly-in, I’m often searching through other forums to find stuff just for us, since lot of it does not apply. For instance, Keeping Cool… Swamp Coolers, Evaporators, etc, can’t be stored in the overhead bins :) So, you need to plow through stuff just to find relevant items.

Anyhow, just a thought. And by the way, eplaya has been EXTREMELY USEFUL to a virgin like me. I’ve read hundreds of posts and although you can never be fully prepared, I’m thinking I probably won’t DIE out there thanks to you folks!

You can also, as you find useful stuff, start a thread and link to other places of information, on or off board, that you find helpful. There are probably people who would join in, once started. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest "Realistic Non-Cooler" thread, possibly the box truck thread. Both those were started by junglesmacks who lives in florida, and faces these issues. There are other people you can look for as well.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby PL_FL » Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 am

The ‘transportation’ sections is good, but there is “purchasing a used RV” and “school bus” stuff in there. I’m talking strictly, fly-in with just a suitcase, rent/buy everything locally in Reno area, fly out with just a suitcase. But yes, I agree, that’s where I’ve found some really good info. And yup, as I get final plans together, I’ll start some posts.. Thanks!!
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Burning Since: 2013

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 am

That's not something we're going to do, sorry.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby TT120 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:41 am

Tapatalk would be a good addition to the forum. That way I can use my phone to surf the forum easily.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 pm

I've looked into it a few times (as well as another bulletin board app solution), but haven't been satisfied enough with the results to want to move on to the process of obtaining permissions and implement. Much of it works, but some doesn't work as expected, and other things just don't work at all. The board looks and functions normally/as expected if you're on a current version smartphone OS. I'm not sure if it helps or if you're already doing it, but I recommend turning the phone on its side when surfing the board. The width should be enough that you can make out the writing and tap on the correct buttons without having to constantly zoom in.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Divreon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 am

How about a subforum in each prep forum specifically for tutorials, there are many tutorial and how to threads throughout the site, getting them in one place might make finding everything easier, and let people quickly learn how to become more self-sufficient.
"Time is relative, and I'm not related to it."

Birgin Camp 2014 is underway https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=364&t=67595&start=68
Divreon

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Birgin Camp 2014

Postby Ratty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 am

Am I too stupid to search? OK. I want to locate a member on eplaya. I know his name. The alphabetical list for the letter 'B' has 65 pages and they aren't in order. Short of searching each page how do I make his name pop up? (I know this is going to out me as computer illiterate.)
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 am

I agree!

If the list were just in alphabetical order it would help no end. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 am

Ratty wrote:Am I too stupid to search? OK. I want to locate a member on eplaya. I know his name. The alphabetical list for the letter 'B' has 65 pages and they aren't in order. Short of searching each page how do I make his name pop up? (I know this is going to out me as computer illiterate.)

If you know his username here, go to Search and enter his name in the "author" box and don't enter any other information, and click "submit" or hit enter, and it will show you his post history. Jump to a post and you can click "PM" under his name if you want to contact him.

Let me know if there's a reason that's unlikely to work. Or PM me if you don't know the exact spelling; I can probably help you find him.

Yeah, the member's list is a weird thing; I don't use it much.

You can sort by letter and it'll list people in the order of registration date, which can help if you know they're a newbie.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 am

@Divreon - sorry, no, we're not going to add a separate subforum for every Preparation category. Discussions (which would include any tutorials that users share) are already categorized. Learn to be self-sufficient by figuring out how to find what you're looking for. :wink:

@Ratty, you're not too stupid to search, but you did overlook the right button. Pull up that memberlist, and now look in the top left... to the left of the letters of the alphabet. Click on 'Find Member' - that should bring up the member search function. You can enter the specific name, or partial name (use the asterisk as a wildcard, such as fig*)

@Figjam, the list can be sorted in ascending or descending order by any column you like. From the memberlist, just click on the column title (ie Username) and it sorts ascending. Click again, it'll sort descending. It should work for any of the columns.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Ratty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks Trillo, I'll be a searchin now. there are so many playans that I would love to contact and have lost thier emails in the dust. But...Now everybody knows how lame I can get.

Thanks for the help!!
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby delle » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 am

Ratty wrote:Thanks Trillo, I'll be a searchin now. there are so many playans that I would love to contact and have lost thier emails in the dust. But...Now everybody knows how lame I can get.

Thanks for the help!!

If it's any consolation, Ratty, I had the same problem a while back.

Maybe if that "Search" button "Find a member" notation were renamed to "Search by name" (and really Made Into a Button) or something more obvious?

Edited to reflect reality after actually looking at the function.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Sorry, that's not something that we're going to do.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:56 am

The forum software tries to encourage "immediacy" by making it difficult to locate past posts. :mrgreen:

BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

Actually, the search function has gotten much better over the last couple years. I've made some back-end changes to improve how it indexes things, and also periodically run maintenance to keep things from getting kludgy, plus the mod team has been working to try and keep threads organized (nudging discussions into the right category, etc. It would get better still if we got aggressive on splitting threads up and battling thread drift, but that's not something I think we want to do.

It used to be that in place of the PHPBB search I'd run to the nearest internet search engine (ie Google, Bing, or Yahoo which is powered by Bing) and type in the keyword I was looking for plus the word eplaya. That still works, but in the last year or so the on-board search has been good enough that I haven't needed to go elsewhere. And the advanced search function has proven (to me, anyway) to be quite good).

On a related note, if you see a thread that you think might be in the wrong place, please flag it for review. One of us on the mod team can take a look at it, and nudge it into the right category if need be.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feature Requests