Maybe I just have a bad additude

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Maybe I just have a bad additude

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 am

Tiahaar!!
Go to your room too.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby tamarakay » Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 am

If I had the money you bet your ass I'd have a chef out there. And she would feed lots and lots of people.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby mulch » Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 am

If this is in anyway a reference to your being rude in my post regarding fuel, then yes, you have a bad attitude. Since you posted this around the time of that post, I imagine so... so Ill explain for those who might not know why you are doing a sort of a probably phony mea culpa.

I was reading, as directed, about rules that apply to me bringing fuel in tanks. You rudely suggested I needed too much comfort, not knowing anything about how many people I was associated with, what the fuel was for (a shared project to a great degree), or if the tank on my 1973 RV that I hand renovated myself might just have a tiny tank for the generator, thus needing some Jerry cans to suppliment it.

So I read about this on the fuel storage page and they suggest possibilities of having fuel delivered. I dont really want fuel delivered, but they also say that you need 2 x 20 lb fire extinguishers for any fuel storage site and you need a fuel storage site if you have the equivelent of 4 small jerry cans. and those extinguishers that they mandate cost many hundreds of dollars. And my question was regarding if the delivery services provided those extinguishers, the expensive fuel containment systems that the rules require, and the electric pumps that the rules require. or... if no one really follows those rules for seemingly small amounts like 20 gallons in small cans.

so I ask questions about options and you tell me to stay the fuck home.

you are not only in possession of a bad attitude, you are thoughtless and add to the reasons good people mostly post here, get berated, then move on. Leaving behind about 40 jerks and 40 nice helpful people to compose the core of this board.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri May 24, 2013 8:31 am

Butt Hurt?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby CaffeineGirl » Fri May 24, 2013 8:40 am

International Incident wrote:You don't have a bad attitude. Not at all.

It's a camping trip with art, fire and music. A few creature comforts are nice - if you can afford them and can organise them - but they are not essential.

If you rocked up with a small tent, sleeping bag, water, a massive box of cliff bars, a slab of booze, goggles, bandana, warm clothes and a way of lighting yourself up at night you would be perfectly fine on the playa. You don't NEED anything else. Everything else is just creature comforts. The only real hassle is getting enough water out there for yourself - everything else fits into a backpack.

A lot of Americans are just soft. Just saying.

My husbands family was always saying so and so did not really NEED whatever it was they had. Funny, it always seemed to be about things that were nicer then they felt they could afford.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 24, 2013 8:47 am

Unjonharley is a good 'ol boy, he throws a little shit but he can take some too.
He's just got a bad attitude cuz he's the second ugliest person here.
(I'm the ugliest, just ask him, he's met me in person!)

I often daydream about what I'd do at Bman if I inherited $500,000,000.
There would be a lot of big trucks involved!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby mulch » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 am

but the important point isnt about uncle's attitude. I mean, who cares? the important point is about that attitude interfering with the useful function of this board.

so simon, in his witty genious, suggest that someones ass hurts. brilliant and fully expected for anyone posting in this stupid thread.

but when people, (and Ive seen way more than just what I alluded to above), when people post valid sincere questions, especially if they involve ambiguities in the official burning man rules or policies and want advice or clarification, when the annoying 50% of this board jumps in and fills the thread with unhelpful snark and criticism, thats when there is a problem.

my skin is thick and it takes more than a couple of jerks posting their poorly thought out snark from their iphones as they cruise down the highway in Los Angeles to really bother me (or to hurt my ass), but I would like to be able to use the board for one of its purposes, valid information about preparing for and experiencing burning man. And others do too. and bad attitudes injected into valid questions can make that hard to do.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 am

mulch wrote:but the important point isnt about uncle's attitude. I mean, who cares? the important point is about that attitude interfering with the useful function of this board.

so simon, in his witty genious, suggest that someones ass hurts. brilliant and fully expected for anyone posting in this stupid thread.

but when people, (and Ive seen way more than just what I alluded to above), when people post valid sincere questions, especially if they involve ambiguities in the official burning man rules or policies and want advice or clarification, when the annoying 50% of this board jumps in and fills the thread with unhelpful snark and criticism, thats when there is a problem.

my skin is thick and it takes more than a couple of jerks posting their poorly thought out snark from their iphones as they cruise down the highway in Los Angeles to really bother me (or to hurt my ass), but I would like to be able to use the board for one of its purposes, valid information about preparing for and experiencing burning man. And others do too. and bad attitudes injected into valid questions can make that hard to do.

Hang the crying towels out to dry....................

This poster has followed me around the Eplaya to Boo Hoo
Topped BBager and Simon both this time..
unjonharley

Postby Dr Helix » Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 am

mulch wrote:but the important point isnt about uncle's attitude. I mean, who cares? the important point is about that attitude interfering with the useful function of this board.

If this thread is "stupid" as you say, why do keep posting in it? Also, I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to assume that this thread was started because you think Unjon was reacting to a post you made somewhere else. Maybe, maybe not. Only he can answer that.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 am

Can I see a show of hands from the people posting on eplaya from their smart phones while driving la freeways? Because, I can't think of any.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 am

actually, i'm scratching my balls with my iphone while bicycling.

if i put it in the pocket with the hole in it i can post to facebook with my dick, and often do.

most men think with their penis.....Well, my phone is Thought-Controlled.

what were we talking about?
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 24, 2013 9:59 am

All that's well and good, but you're in Italy, not los angeles...

I suppose Vatican City counts.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby 48_love » Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 am

I'll post later from the Orange County freeways and be sure to be extra-douchey. We are douchier than LA but rarely get the credit.

I love when people seek the moral high ground only to show their ass and spew shit on themselves, lol.
48_love

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 24, 2013 10:05 am

mulch
unjon has no choice but to to do things very cheaply, because he is living on a fixed income, and he comes from a generation that wouldn't fucking ask for a whole lot of help. He doesn't get to go every year--the ticket issues of the past couple really bit him in the ass, for instance. He slowly and carefully prepares to go, letting plans take months or years to come to fruition.

As for the annoying fifty percent of the board, we have that handy-dandy feature "make foe". Known colloquially as "plonking". Start with me, and continue on with the rest of the LA freeway crowd (I'm steering with my knees, btw) and you don't have to read all that snark you hate so, but the rest of the board will still be accessible.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:actually, i'm scratching my balls with my iphone while bicycling.

if i put it in the pocket with the hole in it i can post to facebook with my dick, and often do.

most men think with their penis.....Well, my phone is Thought-Controlled.

what were we talking about?

If your going for the nasty award.. You just may have it.. I win the rudest
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Fri May 24, 2013 10:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:As for the annoying fifty percent of the board, we have that handy-dandy feature "make foe". Known colloquially as "plonking". Start with me, and continue on with the rest of the LA freeway crowd (I'm steering with my knees, btw) and you don't have to read all that snark you hate so, but the rest of the board will still be accessible.

Yes. Here's how to avoid seeing the posts of a person you cannot stand.

OVERVIEW: How to add Foe ("plonk") or Friend.

Use early, use often.

Note: if you can't stand a Mod, yer outta luck. But then again, so are we. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 am

yes, plonking is like the playa, if you dont like it, dont look, turn around and walk until you DO find something that interests you.

it's ok.

you don't have to like everything.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 24, 2013 10:59 am

I don't see it as a bad attitude at all. There are as many different ways to burn as there are burners… in other words, no one right way.

If you really want to push the radical self reliance thing, all of us who don't grow, catch, or kill our own food are being reliant on others. And if we're arriving in transportation we didn't build and power ourselves, shit, we're just taking the easy way out. For that matter, ePlaya's very existence is a cheat - there's a ton of info and people to help answer questions that they would otherwise have to do their own research in order to figure out. That's pretty extreme, of course, I certainly wouldn't do something like that myself or recommend others take such a hard line approach.

While it might not be the way I'd do it, it's okay to stay in a posh RV. And it's okay to camp in a tent (or under the stars with no tent at all).

Having a bad attitude would be to get on other peoples' cases because they don't burn the way you choose to.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elorrum » Fri May 24, 2013 5:23 pm

o/k bring in the next pitcher. If you really need be a rules teller, or argue for an apology, there's really no way to change the game. You either like it or you don't. You can bat, or pitch, but you don't want to be the ball. Telling folks here how they should respond is being the ball. You do show an inkling of an obsessive desire in wanting to clarify, oh clarify... it's actually a trait many here share.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby dragonpilot » Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Scale 1-10...given you must have food, water, shelter.

1...Naked under a lean-to surrounded by water bottles and granola bars.

10...fully staffed plug 'n play camp or $1 million motorcoach with scheduled pumpout/water delivery.

Where do you fall within that scale?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Eric » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Scale 1-10...given you must have food, water, shelter.

10...fully staffed plug 'n play camp or $1 million motorcoach with scheduled pumpout/water delivery.

Probably a 5 or 6.

We RV, but everybody brings their own supplies & food, other than water which we share. Small camp set-up (we're a newspaper that's pre-printed & DJs who get invited to spin in other peoples spaces) - friendly shaded area on the street to hang out & talk to people, private area in back. Nothing fancy, but there's air-conditioning when we over did it the night before & want to sleep until 2pm (ie: every day). More than a tent, less than luxury (and since we have to clean it, it's way less than luxury when we get home.)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby 5280MeV » Sat May 25, 2013 6:32 am

Pancake analogy

0. buy frozen pancakes, call your friends over for pancakes, point them at the microwave while you read the funny papers and say that you already did your part.

1. buy frozen pancakes and stick them in the microwave.

3. use the box mix, add egg, serve with fake maple syrup, fry on the stove

5. make your own mix from flour, get real maple syrup

8. grow your own wheat, tap your own maple tree, churn your own butter

10. raise your own cow, smith your own plow, build your own mill, cast your own iron

13. run naked screaming into the woods with a number of people. Invent your own language. Tame some goats for milk, build your own stone tools. Survive for several years, harvest wild grains. Emerge from the forest with pancakes.

Another axis:

1-$. Go to the pancake house with friends, buy them pancakes.

1-$$$. Pay people to hang out with you at the pancake house.

1-$$$$$. Buy a pancake house franchise.

0-$. Go to the pancake house with friends, make them pay.

3-$. Go to the fancy place where you pay the waitress to bring your ingredients and then you make your own pancakes at the table.

6-$. Enroll in pancake adventure camp.

EDIT: I forgot one:

8-$$$. Appear on TLC's new reality series, "Extreme Pancakes!"
5280MeV

Postby PhoenixFemmeFatale » Sat May 25, 2013 7:13 am

Here's something for all you posting/driving multi tasking eplaya people :wink: It gets GREAT reviews! Not sure if it could help or hinder the whole iPhone / pants pocket technique or if it could be adapted to attach to a bike....

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Laptop- ... wheel+desk
"I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man
He says he's been down this road more than twice
He was high on intellectualism
I've never been there but the brochure looks nice"
PhoenixFemmeFatale

Postby TT120 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 am

I think MeV is hungry.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Savannah » Sat May 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Eric wrote:

Probably a 5 or 6.

We RV, but everybody brings their own supplies & food, other than water which we share. Small camp set-up (we're a newspaper that's pre-printed & DJs who get invited to spin in other peoples spaces) - friendly shaded area on the street to hang out & talk to people, private area in back. Nothing fancy, but there's air-conditioning when we over did it the night before & want to sleep until 2pm (ie: every day). More than a tent, less than luxury (and since we have to clean it, it's way less than luxury when we get home.)

You're a 5 or a 6 in an RV with air conditioning? :shock: I'm in a tent, and I thought I was a 4!

(Up from my first year, which was a 2).

Maybe I really WAS a 1 my first year?

And I'm a 3 now . . .

AND I'VE BEEN DEAD THE WHOLE TIME.

5280MeV wrote:Pancake analogy

0. buy frozen pancakes, call your friends over for pancakes, point them at the microwave while you read the funny papers and say that you already did your part.

1. buy frozen pancakes and stick them in the microwave.

3. use the box mix, add egg, serve with fake maple syrup, fry on the stove

5. make your own mix from flour, get real maple syrup

8. grow your own wheat, tap your own maple tree, churn your own butter

10. raise your own cow, smith your own plow, build your own mill, cast your own iron

13. run naked screaming into the woods with a number of people. Invent your own language. Tame some goats for milk, build your own stone tools. Survive for several years, harvest wild grains. Emerge from the forest with pancakes.

We've missed you. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby maryanimal » Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 pm

PhoenixFemmeFatale wrote:Here's something for all you posting/driving multi tasking eplaya people :wink: It gets GREAT reviews! Not sure if it could help or hinder the whole iPhone / pants pocket technique or if it could be adapted to attach to a bike....

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Laptop- ... wheel+desk

Good idea if you're not driving. LOL I really liked the pictures of the pile-ups. I wonder if anyone actually tries to drive with this thing on? I know that answer!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby unjonharley » Sat May 25, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm a 10.. Have it all.. Food and shelter. Drive up put out the awning.. holding tanks ... own crapper.. MV and away I go..
unjonharley

Postby maryanimal » Sat May 25, 2013 6:00 pm

unjonharley wrote:

I'm a 10.. Have it all.. Food and shelter. Drive up put out the awning.. holding tanks ... own crapper.. MV and away I go..

(((UJ))) I'm in the 10 spot too. only I use the jots, and with some great friends all camping together! What more could you ask for! :D 8)
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby dragonpilot » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am

maryanimal wrote:
unjonharley wrote:

(((UJ))) I'm in the 10 spot too. only I use the jots, and with some great friends all camping together! What more could you ask for! :D 8)

If you confess to being a "10" then you're telling us you're part of a Plug 'N Play Camp or own a $1 Million motorcoach...this is strictly a subjective evaluation. Naked surrounded by water bottles and food "has it all," too.

Objectively you may feel you're a "10"...and that's fine.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby EspressoDude » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 am

"1" wouldn't be too bad either..
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude