Rent a Truck with Towing Ability, Calif

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Rent a Truck with Towing Ability, Calif

Postby asr9754 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Looking to rent a pickup with a hitch and tow cabability for a medium sized camper-trailer. A brake controller would be ideal

Not having any luck with the major rental companies and I've already done preliminary research online,
Has anyone had luck with renting a tow vehicle, specifically in California (southern Cal and/or near Stockton area?)

Thanks kindly,
AR
asr9754

Re: Rent a Truck with Towing Ability, Calif

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 pm

I've wondered the same, and also had little luck in the past (at least with Enterprise). I hate the idea of spending a ton of money on a moving truck to get my stuff out there, but havent found a better option so far.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Token » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Construction equipment rentals.

You know, a place where you can rent a one ton truck, big trailer and the 6 ton Caterpilar dozer.

They don't let you drive the dozer off the rental yard so they figured they need some trucks that can tow.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Brilliant! Wonder what their b man policy is.... And how much it costs. Time to do some research.
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm

The first policy about renting a car for b man is that you don't talk about b man. If they're cool with you driving their truck around in the dirt anyway being as that it's a construction rental, well then.. hey.. that's all you're doing anyway, right?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:03 pm

junglesmacks wrote:The first policy about renting a car for b man is that you don't talk about b man. If they're cool with you driving their truck around in the dirt anyway being as that it's a construction rental, well then.. hey.. that's all you're doing anyway, right?

Yeah, had the same thought about them expecting it to come back "dirty". Definitely wouldnt mention bman directly, though I imagine they know of the event if I'm renting in the Bay Area, and may suspect my intentions. If that is the case, they may bring up the topic before I do :). We'll see!
MacGlenver

Postby Token » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Also check with Hengehold see if they have tow vehicles. Burner friendly.

http://www.htrucks.com/burningman.php
Token

Postby Token » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:36 am

Btw, most trucks 3/4 ton or better are already wired for towing from the factory. If they have the tow bar and 7-wire plug, they wired.

A Tokonsha brake controller is as cheap as $75 and has plug-in harnesses that don't need no wire splicing and such for $10. Literally takes 5 minutes to install.

Done it on my Chevy 3/4 ton oil burner.
Token

Postby asr9754 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Nope, Hengehold doesn't rent truck to tow. Tried a few construction rentals but they charge by the day and by the mile so it gets absurdly expensive (they are meant for in-town rentals).

Anyone else have experience with a rental service that will rent a pickup truck with towing capability?
Thanks!
asr9754

Postby Savannah » Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

I've rented vehicles from Enterprise with towing ability. (All my Burn rentals have been Enterprise). I wouldn't call them "Burner-friendly"--they don't (usually) ask, and I would never volunteer the info--but I have found them very fair in terms of not charging extra if you return the vehicle scrupulously clean.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby forrest Gump » Wed May 22, 2013 11:16 am

I am also looking into how I am going to get all my crap up to the burn. My camp has grown exponentially which is good except now I have all this stuff. I have a commercial drivers license and I heard hertz penske in Hayward is the cheapest place to rent a large truck, and they give a discount if you have a commercial drivers license. Anyone looking to share a large truck? Also dose anyone know how to get in contact with the storage company's near BRC?

Peace

Dr.Realz

“trust the playa, the playa provides”
-Dr. Realz
forrest Gump

Postby Savannah » Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am

forrest Gump wrote:I am also looking into how I am going to get all my crap up to the burn. My camp has grown exponentially which is good except now I have all this stuff. I have a commercial drivers license and I heard hertz penske in Hayward is the cheapest place to rent a large truck, and they give a discount if you have a commercial drivers license. Anyone looking to share a large truck? Also dose anyone know how to get in contact with the storage company's near BRC?

Peace

Dr.Realz

-Dr. Realz

If you decide to rent that large truck and share it, make a separate post in the 2013 Shared Resources forum, and be sure to list the city you're departing from, and perhaps your general route as well.

Here's what I would do to find storage. Go to Yelp.com, enter "Storage" into the first window, and "Reno" into the second, hit enter, then select "Most Reviewed" ('cause that often works better than "Highest reviews"--if there's only one review, for example). This gave me a few ideas of places to start.

I would recommend reading the well-reviewed places and then Googling them separately, because there are often reviews of places that are not stored on Yelp.

Savannah

Postby forrest Gump » Sat May 25, 2013 10:22 am

Savannah wrote:
forrest Gump wrote:I am also looking into how I am going to get all my crap up to the burn. My camp has grown exponentially which is good except now I have all this stuff. I have a commercial drivers license and I heard hertz penske in Hayward is the cheapest place to rent a large truck, and they give a discount if you have a commercial drivers license. Anyone looking to share a large truck? Also dose anyone know how to get in contact with the storage company's near BRC?

Peace

Dr.Realz

-Dr. Realz

If you decide to rent that large truck and share it, make a separate post in the 2013 Shared Resources forum, and be sure to list the city you're departing from, and perhaps your general route as well.

Here's what I would do to find storage. Go to Yelp.com, enter "Storage" into the first window, and "Reno" into the second, hit enter, then select "Most Reviewed" ('cause that often works better than "Highest reviews"--if there's only one review, for example). This gave me a few ideas of places to start.

I would recommend reading the well-reviewed places and then Googling them separately, because there are often reviews of places that are not stored on Yelp.

Thanks.. So much to do so little time
forrest Gump

Postby lucky420 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:58 am

Storage rentals in Fernley would be closer to BRC...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby forrest Gump » Sun May 26, 2013 10:13 am

lucky420 wrote:Storage rentals in Fernley would be closer to BRC...

thanks I will check that out.

Peace

Dr. Realz

“We went overboard on management and forgot about leadership. It might help if we ran the MBAs out of Washington.”
-Rear admiral Dr. Grace Murray Hopper
forrest Gump

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Savannah wrote:I've rented vehicles from Enterprise with towing ability. (All my Burn rentals have been Enterprise). I wouldn't call them "Burner-friendly"--they don't (usually) ask, and I would never volunteer the info--but I have found them very fair in terms of not charging extra if you return the vehicle scrupulously clean.

My experience is that all of the Enterprise contracts prohibit towing.

Towing in general triples the risk for the vehicle returning to the rental depot damaged, possibly in the transmission where they can't tell. Certainly for inexperienced drivers trying to tow the road dangers are enhanced. This is why the few trucks for rent that can tow (and are allowed to) are done for in-city use and have steep mileage charges.

It's very frustrating.
portaplaya

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:37 pm

portaplaya wrote:
Savannah wrote:I've rented vehicles from Enterprise with towing ability. (All my Burn rentals have been Enterprise). I wouldn't call them "Burner-friendly"--they don't (usually) ask, and I would never volunteer the info--but I have found them very fair in terms of not charging extra if you return the vehicle scrupulously clean.

Towing in general triples the risk for the vehicle returning to the rental depot damaged, possibly in the transmission where they can't tell. Certainly for inexperienced drivers trying to tow the road dangers are enhanced. This is why the few trucks for rent that can tow (and are allowed to) are done for in-city use and have steep mileage charges.

It's very frustrating.

Often it can be cheaper just to hire a shipping company to tow it for you. The TV show Shipping Wars show people that do this for hire, hired through the website uShip.com.
portaplaya

Postby CornMan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:21 pm

For Burnal Equinox, we rented a Budget 16' moving van that had a tow package. I asked if we could hook up a trailer, and they said yes.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 pm

portaplaya wrote:
portaplaya wrote:

That may be so! I wasn't towing, so whether it was allowed in my particular contract escaped my notice. I meant only that the truck had the power to tow. It was a beast!

Well, sorry to hear it. The company worked for me in the ordinary hauling capacity I've needed them for.

It's very frustrating.

I guess I can see why, when I look at the towing and trailer threads. There's a bit to learn about it before doing it.

Savannah

Postby havoc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:10 pm

forrest Gump wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Storage rentals in Fernley would be closer to BRC...

thanks I will check that out.

Peace

Dr. Realz

“We went overboard on management and forgot about leadership. It might help if we ran the MBAs out of Washington.”
-Rear admiral Dr. Grace Murray Hopper

if you go that route, i highly recommend these peeps: http://fernleyministorage.com/

super burner friendly, close to the highway, clean, etc.
havoc

Postby Conduit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 pm

You can do a weekly or monthly rental from U-Haul that includes a set amount of miles and they do allow towing. Also, I found a local company in Riverside CA that is allowing me to rent a pickup truck and will allow for towing. I told them it was probably going to come back dirty as I'll be camping in the desert. They we're still OK with the rental. Not sure if I can post the name here so PM me if you're interested. I researched the F%#K out of this, it is hard to find a tow friendly rental.
Conduit

Return to 2013 Share Resources