how to make a folding pyramid w/ 110sq/ft shelter area

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

how to make a folding pyramid w/ 110sq/ft shelter area

Postby letsburntheman » Mon May 20, 2013 3:31 pm

how to create a folding pyramid using six 4'x8' sheets (insulation board), 3 cuts, 90 yards of tape. 110 sq/ft of shelter space.
made something similar a couple years ago and it makes a perfect place for sleeping. 16x16x16 triangle and about 7 feet high at apex.

you'll want to put in some venting and stake it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT6kidJs5rA
letsburntheman

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: jackpot

Re: how to make a folding pyramid w/ 110sq/ft shelter area

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Can I put my razor in your pyramid overnight on WEdnesday? I'll need to shave on Thursday.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby letsburntheman » Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm

of course, that's why it's insulation board.
letsburntheman

Postby MacGlenver » Mon May 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Pretty slick. There needs to be some sort of rating system for hexayurts that compares build time, cost, stability, useable floor space, height, etc. to get an overall rating. Obviously depends on one's priorities. One concern I would have is how many of the panels end up with seemingly unsupported cuts going across the face that would flex if leaned against. Also the peak height is 6.5 feet, while most of the rest is much lower, making it a bit less functional. Good vid, and very elegant fold-up procedure.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby burner von braun » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm

It is always fun to see these permutations. I've monkeyed around with a few model versions as well, it is almost irresistible. In addition to the great way this one folds/unfolds for storage as MacGlenver points out, I also like the way it is laid out flat until it is 'lifted' into position; a very, very quick, easy to assemble shelter. I too wonder how well the geometrically unsupported seams hold up, though some of the double height hexayurts seem to survive intact, and this pyramid shape has a very low wind profile. I guess the other thing to keep in mind, unless I'm mistaken, is that you would be transporting an oversized shape even when folded up, approximately 11.5' long, by almost 6' wide at the apex, by 6" thick.

Still, a fun and clever new design, thanks for sharing letsburntheman!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 pm

1) If using insulation board, is wrapping all edges in tape the best way to reduce flaky/powdery board particle moop?

2) Assuming one were to use the above-described pyramid, having one of the edges face into the prevailing wind would reduce the stress overall, right? Of course, wind can come from any direction on the playa, but, for example, if it were built in the shelter of a vehicle...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 am

Looks like a fun design (and thanks for posting), but how much of the 110sq feet is functionally useful for a human? The shape of the pyramid looks cool on the outside, but seems like it would be a less efficient use of space (than a tent) and not have much room inside it. Have you used this on the playa? How many would you say it could sleep comfortably?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 am

Intriguing idea! It looks like it would have less storage and headspace than my single pole wigwam tent, but it can't be smaller than my original dome tent. :) Surely sturdier. it would might remain cooler longer than a tent, as hexayurts do. I think good staking and a SW vehicle shield would probably do right by it, BoyScoutGirl.

The corners would have to be for storage, or be wasteful. Bedding might have to be down the center, or only slightly off center.

Small, but I would love to hear how it does on the playa, hear how long it permits sleeping-in, and see interior photos!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Agaton » Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

I slept a lot im school, but I think a triangle is the leest efficient way to create a space. A circle is the most efficient.
Agaton

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby letsburntheman » Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 pm

[quote="BoyScoutGirl"]1) If using insulation board, is wrapping all edges in tape the best way to reduce flaky/powdery board particle moop?
I always use tape because it add strength on the other side of the hinge.
letsburntheman

Postby letsburntheman » Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm

trilobyte wrote:Looks like a fun design (and thanks for posting), but how much of the 110sq feet is functionally useful for a human? The shape of the pyramid looks cool on the outside, but seems like it would be a less efficient use of space (than a tent) and not have much room inside it. Have you used this on the playa? How many would you say it could sleep comfortably?

I used a similar design in 2011 but half the size. it worked very well. and it slept 3 comfortably. the edges with the low angle sides were used for our all gear. this new design is twice the size so I think it could sleep 6 easily around edges.
letsburntheman

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue May 21, 2013 2:52 pm

brilliant
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Agaton wrote:I slept a lot im school, but I think a triangle is the leest efficient way to create a space. A circle is the most efficient.

It depends on how steep the sides are. And as for circles, domes are hideous. Have you ever been in an actual geodesic dome? There's a huge space above the floor that's sort of useless but you still have to sit. Or you can put in some sort of loft... If you mean circle like an actual yurt, you may be right.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 48_love » Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Agaton wrote:I slept a lot im school, but I think a triangle is the leest efficient way to create a space. A circle is the most efficient.

A donut shape has the most volume ... donuts.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Full scale version of resuable folding pyramid tent

Postby letsburntheman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 pm

letsburntheman

Postby Ratty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 am

Lets burn the man, Very cool and very easy. I will take a close look at how people secure their foam structures this year. Thanks for taking the time to make a great video and sharing it with us.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby asr9754 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 am

Brilliant

And how do you secure it from the wind?

Thx.
asr9754

Postby Canoe » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 am

Love how the full-size version folds into 4'x8' package.

• The pro-gaff tape you're using (48 lbs., 60 oz.) isn't near as strong as the commonly used bi-filament tape (220 lbs., 90 oz.).
  • At 3" wide, your tape comes in at 144 lbs., with 3.75 lbs. per sq.in. (11.25 lbs. per inch for the full width) holding strength (and that value is for adhering to stainless steel, but it's the only number we have to work with).
  • With 3" wide having 1.5" on each side of the butt joints, with your tape you get 270 lbs. of holding strength on the 4' lengths and 540 lbs. on the 8' lengths.
  • The 3" bi-filament tape provides over 400 lbs. on the 4' lengths and over 800 lbs. on the 8' lengths.
  • 6" bi-filament tape provides double that, for over 800 lbs. on the 4' lengths, and over 1,600 lbs. on the 8' lengths.

The shelter would be a lot stronger if made with bi-filament tape. But if you feel the need to, you can add some strength by adding some strips of tape across the joints.
  • If you decide to add some strips of tape across joints to add some extra strength, with your tape, the holding strength matches the linear strength at 12.8" of contact.
  • A strip of tape with 12.8" of contact on each side, plus the gap width at your corners, will provide 144 lbs. of additional strength. This is the maximum this tape can provide.
  • 12" of contact each side with the 3" wide bi-filament tape will provide over 200 lbs. of additional strength.
Both tapes should be a good choice for this, as you can always add more strips to provide any extra strength you need.

asr9754 wrote:And how do you secure it from the wind?

A 75 mph wind can result in forces from 14.2 up to 28 lbs. per sq.ft.. At 16' wide and 6.5 height, that's a simple side profile of 52 sq. ft., which is pretty good, and the shape will let a lot of the wind pressure escape around the top and sides, so you should be towards the lower end. But that wind range is still between ~740 lbs. and ~1460 lbs. of force.

How will you get enough grip on the shelter to be able to secure it to the ground?
  • The maximum longitudinal grip with your 3" pro-gaff tape is 144 lbs, the limit of the strength of the tape.
  • The maximum with that 3" bi-filament tape is over 650 lbs., and over 1,300 with the 6" wide, the limits of the strength of the tapes (requires 39" of contact to achieve that).
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 am

Canoe wrote:...Both tapes should be a good choice for this, as you can always add more strips to provide any extra strength you need....

Sigh...
I'm already disagreeing with myself.

As you'll be disassembling the shelter, folding it up and using it again, for this folding pyramid shelter the gaffer's tape is the best choice for where you'll be removing the tape:
  • sealing the two inside seams once you lift the shelter up, and
  • taping across the joints on the outside if you're adding strips of tape for additional strength across the corner outer surface gaps.
Adding a few strips across the outside corners means those seams aren't relying solely upon the 'outside' tape hinge strip gripping the back of the 'inside' tape hinge strip to prevent it from peeling from the panel's inside surface when under a strong wind load. Particularly under a strong wind, where that gap will be subject to pressure as the air flows over those corner seams.

Given the low peel strength of the gaffer's, I'd prefer using the bi-filament tape for making the hinges for the folding seams, for both inside and outside.
6" bi-filament is easier to apply (you don't have to worry about being off a little in alignment, but you're doing this taping at home before you head for the playa, so that's not a big deal).

This is looking like a really interesting design.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Canoe wrote:[*]The maximum longitudinal grip with your 3" pro-gaff tape is 144 lbs, the limit of the strength of the tape.
[*]The maximum with that 3" bi-filament tape is over 650 lbs., and over 1,300 with the 6" wide, the limits of the strength of the tapes (requires 39" of contact to achieve that).[/list]

The max strength of pro-gaff is achieved at 12.8" of length.

Here's a graph of the Pro-Gaff holding strength.

Pro-Graff Tape (48 lbs), Holding Strength by Length of Contact.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canoe

Return to Shelter & Camping