ISO Advice: Last Free Water / Free Camping

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

ISO Advice: Last Free Water / Free Camping

Postby bruce508 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello burners out there:

1) Where is the last free, i.e. tap water coming to BRC from SF area? Some of you bring just Evian or whatever, but I'm not into it.

2) Let's suppose I really did leave at 1 AM to avoid exodus crowds. Is there anywhere within a 2 hour drive where I can just pull over and camp? Or drive in some dirt road 100 yards and camp?

Thanks,

-PirateCaptain
bruce508

Re: ISO Advice: Last Free Water / Free Camping

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Use your own taps. Anything beyond that would be guesswork and hope. Nobody's guaranteeing people access to unlimited free water that I'm aware of. Buying water (if you go that route) doesn't mean you have to go the fancy distilled hoity toity Evian route - Arrowhead, the store's house brand, and other basic stuff is largely the same quality as tap water and runs a buck a gallon (or less) including the container. Can be had easily at any of a hundred places in Reno.

Until you get to the interstate and find a rest area that would allow you to pull over and get some shuteye, I don't think there's any free camping along the way (there isn't really even much in the way of soft shoulder for most of it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

CHANGE TITLE: ISO last filtered water machin/ Free Camping

Postby bruce508 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:54 pm

OK, moderator reminded me I explained poorly:

Lots of grocerty stores, especially in hot places like that part of NV, have filtered water machines which are something much less than a dollar per gallon (I think). I have my big containers already, but these are very heavy, so why use gas to carry them up and over mountains and all that? Instead, it would be better to fill up at the nearest filtered water vending machine to BRC. That's what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of any of these filtered water vending machines near BRC?

As for camping: There are a lot of federal and state forests which have basically unregulated camping. You just have to know where it is and what the rules are. For example, in Yosemite there are very high fines for camping w/out a permit, but just a couple miles away it's free but you have to be one mile in, then a couple more miles and its unregulated completely, as long as it's on national forest land. So, you gotta know, or look it up -and its a bit of a research project. I'm asking if anyone knows.

Again thanks,

-Bruce
bruce508

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm

And I'm telling you there's none of that (free camping) between Burning Man and Reno.

Many grocery stores in Reno offer water vending, and if you've got larger containers (barrels vs. single gallon containers) you can fill up in Gerlach as well. Look for the Burning Man Local Resource Guide as well as details on water fillup in upcoming issues of the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter. Here's a link to a post on last year's resource guide, look for the 2013 edition to arrive at around the same time this summer.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:39 am

I'm thinking you have to hike into this area, but it's free.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ltbmu/re ... 8&actid=34
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby ygmir » Tue May 21, 2013 6:43 am

so, assuming your home water is essentially "free" (tap), and you might spent 20 dollars on buying water closer (as stated, very iffy to find anyone along the way who will let you fill for free), do you really think it'd cost 20 extra dollars in gas to haul the water over the mountains, and through the woods? Not to mention the time to stop and look?

and, as you imply, it may take a little research, to find anywhere to camp, but it would seem said research is "on you". Though you may get lucky and someone will know specifically.
To that: I'd imagine, if you get off "reservation land", and are not on private property, a large part of Nevada is "BLM" administered, and is pretty open to camping. I'd check their website for specific rules though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 am

Ygmir raises a good point. The additional weight of the water for a person for the week would work out to the weight of a small person. From a fuel cost standpoint, it would be as big a difference as an extra passenger or not.

Camping on BLM land does carry use fees (I think it's around $25 per day), and if I'm not mistaken they issue closure orders for the areas surrounding the event and the main road leading to it. Unfortunately, years of participants coming to or leaving the event and not doing the right thing has conditioned them to take a more defensive position on the matter. Reservation land is also absolutely open to camping, but requires permits or you'd face stiff penalties (that tribal officers would demand on-the-spot payment for). Camping on reservation land may also have some additional rules to adhere to (the Symbiosis Gathering was held at Pyramid Lake on reservation land last year, and participants had additional rules/stiff penalties to contend with). You could try contacting BLM to see what lands may be open as well as what use fees would apply, but at that point you'd be driving out of your way to get to it.

Depending upon your budget, you may also want to consider a room in Reno. Sure there are lots of expensive rooms, but there are also plenty of cheap rooms - and after a week in the desert there's something to be said for clean sheets and a hot shower. Check the Share Resources board for info about a hotel deal arranged by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro but open to all burners, or keep your eyes open for other deals.

And now that I think about it, SF bay area burners leaving either early or on labor day should be aware that the Bay Bridge may well be closed. Pending an inspection of some questionable bolts and rods, they're on track to have the bridge shut down over labor day weekend while they remove the temporary connection at Treasure Island and get the new span open for business in time for Tuesday's rush hour. If you're heading towards the city proper, you may want to aim for another crossing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby VultureChow » Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 am

Not sure if it was legal or not, but I wound up parked with a bunch of other cars at some random stop with some parking and soft shoulders south of Gerlach (I think) I got mad antsy on Sunday and left right after the Temple burn. By the time I hit the road, I was concerned that I was too tired to drive safely back to Fernley.

I dozed in the drivers sear for about 4-5 hours. If a cop objected, I figured a ticket is less hassle than a major crash. But no one said a word and I was on my way at least somewhat refreshed that morning.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 am

Anybody else tempted to give advice ala Isotopia?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am

*doing the page 2 dance*\

\
\(similar to the little kid "I gotta pee pee" dance)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 am

The sheriff will ticket you for parking along the road.. The love fucking with burners..

Check the reservation north of Sparks.. Think they have a camp ground.. It will cost to camp there..

In OR. you can camp at a rest stop IF there are no camp grounds.. Or if all campgrounds are full..

Being an old man and vet.. I camp free in all state or fed campgrounds..
unjonharley

Postby graidawg » Tue May 21, 2013 12:00 pm

i feel cheated i was hoping it was an ISO thread not someone asking for free stuff. though it does feel earlier this year and isnt one of the usual questions.
personally i would just buy water in gerlach support the community that lets us have a massive party in their backyard.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Ratty » Sun May 26, 2013 12:02 am

I'm thinking I'll fill my containers at home. People always ask me how long it takes to get there. I manage to turn a 6 hour drive into 10 or 12 hours with NO traffic or lines. (I also got lost trying to get water.)
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun May 26, 2013 3:55 am

graidawg wrote:personally i would just buy water in gerlach support the community that lets us have a massive party in their backyard.

Well technically, Gerlach doesn't "let" us have the party, the BLM does. Gerlach can take it or take it.

But I do agree with you! There's almost zero economy out there, picking there to spend some money is a good thing.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun May 26, 2013 8:27 am

You know what Graidog meant. There are locals selling holy water in town, but you can't depend on that.

I prefer to stop at Perrier, France and fill up on the Good Stuff.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ratty » Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 am

I'll consider Gerlach for water. They charge 3 times more than anywhere else but that's still only about a buck a gallon. And it's for charity.
Ratty

Postby trilobyte » Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am

Rates last year were 50 cents for up to 100 gallons, 45 cents a gallon for 100-200, and 40 cents a gallon for more than that. Expect details for this year (rates, hours of operation) to be posted in the JRS in early August.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Ratty » Sun May 26, 2013 9:36 am

Well darn it. Why didn't I go there last year?
Ratty

Postby unjonharley » Sun May 26, 2013 9:37 am

I ould not depend on water at Gerlach.. Some of the water will be hauled in..

There will be 50 000 burners.. Not good odds for sullies that deep into the desert..

I go to the OR Country Fair. (old hippie fair).. There is a junction store out that way.. The shelves are empty by the time the gates open..Just to many people depending on getting there supplies on the road..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 am

For once in his life, unjonharley is right...
I always get my water at least two cities before the last option. Counting on something that important not going wrong isn't wise!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Ratty » Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 am

Hummm. Now I'm back to hauling from home. Thanks guys.
Ratty

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:You know what Graidog meant. There are locals selling holy water in town, but you can't depend on that.

I prefer to stop at Perrier, France and fill up on the Good Stuff.

Why not Lourdes?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Too far.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby pink » Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Part of the reason Gerlach is selling water is to help pay for their new water treatment plant. It's a tiny community to try to support the facility. It'll be in the JRS. I go in on an EAP, so don't have an issue with stuff running out before it get there, but if you're early or Sunday, it shouldn't be an issue. I learned very early in my burn experience not to try to haul a lot of stuff up the hill if I could get it in Reno. And now my tank gets filled in Gerlach.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Return to 2013 Share Resources