Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby oly14 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello, I'm Mark. As a SF bay area resident, I had heard of Burning Man but I didn't really know what it was. I had an idea but it was so wrong (that's another story). Earlier this year a Burning Man mention on sports radio of all places, and my mention of the radio comment to a friend, led me down the path of learning what Burning Man really is. What I found both horrified and fascinated me. Burning Man isn't just a little outside my comfort zone, it's many steps over the line. Ultimately, fascination trumped horror and here I am.

The friend that piqued my BM interest told me to start asking around, I might be surprised who I know that's been. Indeed, an old business partner has gone the last few years and agreed to "watch my back" on my first exploration. I mentioned my plans to my younger brother and he has been hooked as well. So now our camp now has three.

My brother and I are having a great time planning and preparing our camp. We're reading ePlaya like men possessed and learning a lot (thanks to all for sharing so generously). My old business partner is giving us some preparation tips but he doesn't want to give too much away, he wants us discover as much of the wonder as we can on our own. Of the many things that we'll experience, I'm thinking it will also be a great opportunity for two brothers that live many miles apart to connect in a way we never have before.

I'm doing my best to get involved early through "Support A Project" and I've connected with my regional group and actually spent Saturday working on their CORE project.

Of course, I'll keep reading all the great information on ePlaya while anxiously awaiting my introduction to the playa when we finally arrive in BRC.

Mark
oly14

Burning Since: 2013

Postby T-Ray-K » Mon May 13, 2013 6:43 am

Welcome Mark!

FTT: I'm from Wilmington, but I'm on a long road trip and won't be back before TTITD
T-Ray-K

Postby Ratty » Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 am

Welcome Mark, You're doing the perfect exercise for enjoyment on the playa.........preparation. Nobody can 'give away the secret' and ruin the ending. You'll go every year and still be amazed. Like a surprise party that lasts a week. Welcome.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Desiree K. Smith » Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 am

gyre wrote:I thought if you lived in northern california it wasn't optional?

Hi gyre,
Doesn't "it" depend on participation?! :wink:

Savannah wrote:Hi Desire'e!

Hi Savannah!

theCryptofishist wrote:many people don't think this fish is particularly nice--just a warning.

Hi theCryptofishist,
I don't think most people think. Nice is subjective. Sarcasm it's in my coffee and my whiskey! :coffee:
"I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" - Douglas Adams
Desiree K. Smith

Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Postby Desiree K. Smith » Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 am

Hello Mark!
"I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" - Douglas Adams
Desiree K. Smith

Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Postby Gobkin » Fri May 17, 2013 9:34 am

HI!!!!
I am Roman.
I will start a bit back because i think that past is important to understand me better (if anyone cares to do so at some point of time).
I am Ukrainian and I am Canadian, yes in that order. I was born and grew up in the small city in western Ukraine. I was always a daredevil, being a kid I survived through a number or near death experiences due to falls from various heights. I still dont understand how i am even alive. I think I had about 50 different fractures. I just think its pretty amazing that our bodies can recover from stuff like that but i think im difting off topic....
Anywho, when I was 16 me parents moved me to Canada, the country that became my new home. It was a rough transition, Eventually I made new friends, new loves, new hobbies, new interests... it worked out well. And then... I think it was 2007.... I have learned about burning man. It became the idea I have been coming back to over and over again. I never had enough patience to actually buy a ticket and plan a trip. And now in retrospect I think I needed to wait I needed that idea to mature, I needed myself to grow into it. I think joining the army has a lot to do with it. Living on the edge of life gives you a totally different appreciation for it and now I actually want to do things instead of planing to do things. I dont know what will happen to me in that desert but I know its time to go there and burn.
I always sucked at writing so I apologise for countless grammatical errors in this text.
See you on the playa.
Roman.
Gobkin

Postby Savannah » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 am

oly14 wrote:Hello, I'm Mark. As a SF bay area resident, I had heard of Burning Man but I didn't really know what it was. I had an idea but it was so wrong (that's another story). Earlier this year a Burning Man mention on sports radio of all places, and my mention of the radio comment to a friend, led me down the path of learning what Burning Man really is. What I found both horrified and fascinated me. Burning Man isn't just a little outside my comfort zone, it's many steps over the line. Ultimately, fascination trumped horror and here I am.

The friend that piqued my BM interest told me to start asking around, I might be surprised who I know that's been. Indeed, an old business partner has gone the last few years and agreed to "watch my back" on my first exploration. I mentioned my plans to my younger brother and he has been hooked as well. So now our camp now has three.

My brother and I are having a great time planning and preparing our camp. We're reading ePlaya like men possessed and learning a lot (thanks to all for sharing so generously). My old business partner is giving us some preparation tips but he doesn't want to give too much away, he wants us discover as much of the wonder as we can on our own. Of the many things that we'll experience, I'm thinking it will also be a great opportunity for two brothers that live many miles apart to connect in a way we never have before.

Hi Mark! I'm so excited for you, particularly because "Burning Man isn't just a little outside my comfort zone, it's many steps over the line." :)

It sounds like you're doing great. I understand what your friend means about giving too much away--culturally speaking. Preparation-wise, yeah--I'm glad you're neck-deep in it. :D

Welcome!

Gobkin wrote:HI!!!!
I am Roman.
I will start a bit back because i think that past is important to understand me better (if anyone cares to do so at some point of time).
I am Ukrainian and I am Canadian, yes in that order. I was born and grew up in the small city in western Ukraine. I was always a daredevil, being a kid I survived through a number or near death experiences due to falls from various heights. I still dont understand how i am even alive. I think I had about 50 different fractures. I just think its pretty amazing that our bodies can recover from stuff like that but i think im difting off topic....
Anywho, when I was 16 me parents moved me to Canada, the country that became my new home. It was a rough transition, Eventually I made new friends, new loves, new hobbies, new interests... it worked out well. And then... I think it was 2007.... I have learned about burning man. It became the idea I have been coming back to over and over again. I never had enough patience to actually buy a ticket and plan a trip. And now in retrospect I think I needed to wait I needed that idea to mature, I needed myself to grow into it. I think joining the army has a lot to do with it. Living on the edge of life gives you a totally different appreciation for it and now I actually want to do things instead of planing to do things. I dont know what will happen to me in that desert but I know its time to go there and burn.
I always sucked at writing so I apologise for countless grammatical errors in this text.
See you on the playa.
Roman.

Hi Roman!

Glad you're finally ready to come to the playa. Army (and other) military folks do tend to hold up very well out there.

Your writing and English grammar are better than many a native speaker, so don't worry about it. :D

Welcome to the board!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ratty » Fri May 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi Roman, Welcome. If you're interested in spending some time with your 'countrymen', (from either country), a little research would probably find some. You know...Singing folk songs in strange languages like Canadian or Ukrainian. Welcome to Eplaya.
Ratty

Postby gyre » Fri May 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Welcome, folks!

Meeting ukrainians was the first break in the wall for me.
"Not russian, Ukraine!"
gyre

Postby Gobkin » Sat May 18, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!
I think Savannah is just being too nice )

Ratty, yup, I am already on top of that, I have spent past 4 month reading the board, I find that all questions have already been answered so never had a reason to post. Turned out a friend of a friend whom I met at some party is active in BM community her in Canada (...if that's the correct term... hmmm)

gyre are you another one??? ))))
Gobkin

Postby tatonka » Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi been here awhile and said hi but never introduced myself. My name Is Brad Bird ,live in Dundee Or ,almost 58 years old . Finally got all the kids raised and going to do more fun things for myself.
Seen this BM going on last year as I drove by on a bike trip and wanted to go. Love to travel .
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Ratty » Sat May 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Tatonka, Are you coming this year? Welcome and glad to meetcha'.
Ratty

Postby tatonka » Sat May 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Ratty wrote:Tatonka, Are you coming this year? Welcome and glad to meetcha'.

yep 1st year , and have ticket and vac time put in . Just been posting alot and havnt formaly interduced myself :)

See ya at the Meet and Greet :)

tatonka

Postby dragonpilot » Sun May 19, 2013 9:43 am

Drop by and visit Camp Apokiliptika...you'll either be totally turned off and frightened or feel right at home...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 19, 2013 10:23 am

dragonpilot wrote:Drop by and visit Camp Apokiliptika...you'll either be totally turned off and frightened or feel right at home...

If it's there...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tatonka » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Drop by and visit Camp Apokiliptika...you'll either be totally turned off and frightened or feel right at home...

Thank you for the invite :)

tatonka

Hi from the Sunshine state....

Postby MissSmee » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi! They call me MissSmee here, but that may change on the playa! :D I have tix secured and if all goes well...will be making the trek from Southwest Florida to pop my BM cherry!
MissSmee

Postby Ratty » Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Welcome MissSmee, You have a great playa name. Hang around and do research, ask questions and make future friends.
Ratty

Postby MissSmee » Thu May 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Thank you Ratty, for the warm welcome and name approval :wink: ....been lurking and researching for months now....just realized I forgot to register for eplaya.
MissSmee

Postby Savannah » Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi MissSmee! :D

Savannah

Postby heatherlbc » Fri May 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Hello, I am Heather.
I live in Long Beach with my beau, who will drive my dad's beat up old truck to the middle of the desert with me this summer. He has always wanted to attend. Me, not so much. But then something happened over fall and I did a 180- I think it had to do with us opening our business- but I can't say for certain. I went from "hell no" to Gung-ho. Whatever; I can deal with that.
We have a nice stash of supplies building that sits in our living room making us even more eager for August. We have friends that burn, but I aim for not relying on them for much more than advice and anecdotes. These boards have been a valuable resource for me as I plan our little camp and shop for the necessities. And make decisions; such as no on the RV; yes to truck and yurt.
Thanks All!
-H
heatherlbc

Postby Savannah » Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi Heather!

I went from "hell no" to Gung-ho. Whatever; I can deal with that.

Haha! Welcome. You guys sound like hardcore planners, I'll bet you'll be fine. Foam hexayurt or stretch?

If I drove a truck, I'd probably build a yurt, too.

Savannah

Traveled for a year, BM will be the grand finale!

Postby Njorun » Fri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello everyone!

Scandinavian backpacker here. I was introduced to Burning Man a week ago and nearly lost my breath when I realised I actually have a possibility to go. It felt like finding home in a way I'm sure many of you might understand. I've been obsessed with finding out as much information as possible and cant't even begin to speculate how many hours I've already spent on the website, gallery, youtube, eplaya and finding previous burners storys like hidden gems across the web.

I haven't been around many creative people since I finished school and am constantly reminded of how much I miss it. I've registered on STEP, feel more than ready for the OMG sale and will do anything in my power to find tickets for this years burn. I've read a lot of comments where people are encouraged to go ahead with the planning a have faith, so I will. If this year is no my year then I'm still grateful for finding this community and will be much more prepared for next year. For this I know, I WILL attend. Somehow, someday.

Until then,
Much love!
Bättre gå på hal is och ha det glatt än att gå i lera och sörja.
Njorun

Postby Savannah » Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Welcome, Njorun! :D

I think you have a great attitude. The only thing to be careful of (before you get your ticket) is paying for stuff that's pricey & completely non-refundable. :)

Savannah

Postby Ratty » Fri May 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Welcome Njorun, Step works so expect to go. Most people on Eplaya over prepare. You don't need everything. (Being a backpacker you already know that.) See you in the dust.
Ratty

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Get in touch with your regional. Seriously, there's a group of about half a dozen guys from Oslo who attend every other year and they are huge. They know how to do all sorts of weird, creative things from a long distance. This should be one of their years.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Njorun » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:39 am

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I will try to restrict myself and do the shopping once tickets have been sorted out :)

Oh yes it's amazing how well it's possible to live with only the stuff on your back. 7 months in and I haven't missed a thing (well not entirely true perhaps. Surprisingly, a hair dryer seems to be the thing my mind wanders back to. Being able to have a dry head on damp or cold days really is a luxury). I'm looking forward to the ultimate test of LNT.

Will check out the Norwegian community as well, great tip!
Bättre gå på hal is och ha det glatt än att gå i lera och sörja.
Njorun

Postby MissSmee » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi Savannah! :D
MissSmee

Postby lexy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 am

my name is lexy

2013 will be my first burning man! i tried to go in 2011 but it was just too expensive

this year, i have tickets and im about to book flights

so excited!!!
lexy

Camp Name: Flamin Merkin

Postby Ratty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:19 am

Welcome Lexy. Coming all the way from South Africa! Well, it's worth the trip. Will you be coming alone? Staying on for awhile?
Ratty

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!