No Feathers?!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Looks familiar... if that's not the org staff commissary, it's at least the same concessionaire.

Like I've said, I quit in '04.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Her eyes look like two holes burned in a blanket.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Bob wrote:
Looks familiar... if that's not the org staff commissary, it's at least the same concessionaire.

Like I've said, I quit in '04.

The tent looks the same, but I don't remember that floor.
gyre

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Are you guys cyberstalking this lady? Shit, she wore a bunch of feathers. And she won't apologize for it. End of story, let it go.

Meanwhile I'm getting no assistance in my ongoing investigation into the conspiracy between the water trucks and the Washoe County Sheriffs to systematically abduct and barbeque Canadian burners. Priorities people!!
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Letting things go? What site did you think you were on? In my limited time here, I've learned at least that grudges are held onto like prized jewels.

People do enter and leave via water truck, based on a few rumors I've heard. It's not comfortable, or dry.
maladroit

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:Are you guys cyberstalking this lady? Shit, she wore a bunch of feathers. And she won't apologize for it. End of story, let it go.

Meanwhile I'm getting no assistance in my ongoing investigation into the conspiracy between the water trucks and the Washoe County Sheriffs to systematically abduct and barbeque Canadian burners. Priorities people!!

This being the case, I support more water trucks. And can't we all appreciate her "art" in our own small way? If only she was a fricasseed Canuck.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 pm

True. Except for fire, advanced heckling through bullhorns is the oldest form of art associated with burningman.

Next year we're going to have a CORE heckle--360 degrees of nasty verbations, from 15 states and 36 countries (including Vatican City and Monaco.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 am

Drive-by excommunication?

Edit: Hold the megaphone sideways.
maladroit

Postby gyre » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 am

lol
Very good
gyre

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 am

feathers? rolling stone? It seems i saw a lot of proffesional photographers at BM this year perhaps we should look at that. it seems Burning Man is actively seeking to become more commercial with *authorised* proffesional shoots and BM imagery becomong the norm rather than the exception. I guess we just have to suck it up if BMorg is inviting people and giving them tickets and permission to use the images proffesionally.

i guess it was better this year
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Xdominant » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 am

Aye. Many LOLs in this thread. Exceeding even my most optimistic expectations. Lively discussions and fabulous flames. It was the best of feathers. It was the worst of feathers.

I think the point is that there are individuals that generate commerce from publicity they get doing this stuff in BRC. And they set an example contrary from the traditions of the city that will have a enduring bio-impact to the life forms that call the playa a year around home. Ya. There is a MOOP consideration but I think this is a symptom of a larger issue with entitlement to do whatever the fuck you want, even if it is a threat to the future BRC incarnations. Given the nature of feathers, that migrating birds use the playa as an estuary in off season and possible introduction of a bio-event with every thoughtless MOOP that occurs with some of the stupid shit people do.

I heard something from a burner with 10+ years on the playa that has stuck with me: "I've never seen so much shit (human waste) on the playa". Relatively easy to collect but man, WTF? I know. We have escalators in BART that stop working because of that issue in SF. So much shit that the mechanism fails. And lots of high stepping in other places. I digress.

Feathers. Apparently she doesn't get it. So I think she probably is ugly as hell naked. Needs the feathers for her ego. Fine. Outside the fence with you. DPW knows what to do.

And if this was somehow sanctioned by BMorg: WTF? We already have politicians that talk out both sides of their mouths. Et Tu Brute?
Xdominant

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am

graidawg wrote:feathers? rolling stone? It seems i saw a lot of proffesional photographers at BM this year perhaps we should look at that. it seems Burning Man is actively seeking to become more commercial with *authorised* proffesional shoots and BM imagery becomong the norm rather than the exception. I guess we just have to suck it up if BMorg is inviting people and giving them tickets and permission to use the images proffesionally.

i guess it was better this year

The *professional* photographers were plenty annoying in '96, believe me.

The Cafe flew Banksy out in '01 to tag its backside, as it were. The difference being Banksy don't care, Banksy don't give a shit. And we burned what he tagged.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Foxfur » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 am

I typical have no use for animal rights activists who selectively use facts and sources convenient to advance their arguments but this source was convenient to advance my argument, so what the heck...
http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/downandfeathers.htm
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby odensecity » Fri May 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I was not aware that you are not allowed feathers on the playa?
Every year I have seen amazing and beautiful outfit that had feathers as a component.....
I do not understand all this anger or the ban for feathers? From my experience people who attend the playa are very repectful to nature and the implications we may have whilst there and I have only encountred very pro-active people who do their best to safe guard the environment. Any gathering of this size will have an impact,(regardless) is the key not to minimize, reduce and recycle to our best ability.
Building a city in the middle of the dessert, we are bringing lots of "un-natural element", should we not have faith that people will do their best and that we all are working towards the same goal?
The "rules" of the playa, is that not really about being an individual, creating, being open, sharing, acceptance and coming together.
odensecity

Postby lucky420 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:38 pm

The rules of the playa are differ greatly from the rules of the BLM!

Fuck yo feathers
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 17, 2013 7:08 pm

odensecity wrote:I was not aware that you are not allowed feathers on the playa?

Have you ever read the Survival Guide?

Or the Leave No Trace guide? (Scroll down to #8.)

odensecity wrote:Every year I have seen amazing and beautiful outfit that had feathers as a component.....
I do not understand all this anger or the ban for feathers? From my experience people who attend the playa are very repectful to nature and the implications we may have whilst there and I have only encountred very pro-active people who do their best to safe guard the environment.

I can tell you about the anger. I think it is just about sinful (and I don't believe in sin) to go shedding tiny bits of material that someone else is going to have to get on his or her knees in the hot sun, to clean up. DPW covers our ass in various ways, and I think it is our duty to be as "pro-active" as possible and not bring "beauty" that's only creating crap.
And I have to stop here because I'm too angry to stay civil.
The "rules" of the playa, is that not really about being an individual, creating, being open, sharing, acceptance and coming together.

The rules of the playa are also about making sure we maintain a good relationship with BLM (and the American people who own the damn playa) and can come back next year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Drawingablank » Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 pm

odensecity wrote:I was not aware that you are not allowed feathers on the playa?
Every year I have seen amazing and beautiful outfit that had feathers as a component.....
I do not understand all this anger or the ban for feathers? From my experience people who attend the playa are very repectful to nature and the implications we may have whilst there and I have only encountred very pro-active people who do their best to safe guard the environment. Any gathering of this size will have an impact,(regardless) is the key not to minimize, reduce and recycle to our best ability.
Building a city in the middle of the dessert, we are bringing lots of "un-natural element", should we not have faith that people will do their best and that we all are working towards the same goal?

I am far from the snarkiest person around here, but seriously?

After nearly 2 years of being on the boards with no posts (not even an introduction) - you break your silence to demonstrate a massive level of ignorance?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri May 17, 2013 9:11 pm

odensecity wrote:From my experience people who attend the playa are very repectful to nature and the implications we may have whilst there

have you ever gotten up in the morning and walked around with a garbage bag picking up moop?

no?

give it a try and then talk to me about how respectful people are of the playa.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby ygmir » Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
odensecity wrote:From my experience people who attend the playa are very repectful to nature and the implications we may have whilst there

have you ever gotten up in the morning and walked around with a garbage bag picking up moop?

no?

give it a try and then talk to me about how respectful people are of the playa.

this!!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 am

GET A CLUE HIPPIE.

Maybe you were too baked at the time to realize you were actually at the Rainbow Gathering, not at Burning Man, when you had these blissfully ignorant observations? These specific rules and regulations were not just conjured up out of thin air to cramp peoples' creative style. They were created because dumbfucks were making a huge fucking mess all over the place.

Until you understand and accept these concepts, you and your hippie kind should be banned from the event.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Zhust » Sat May 18, 2013 4:42 am

Ok, so Burning virgin or troll?

I mean, it's reasonable to think that feathers are an organic material and would break down naturally. If one was careful to not shed excessively, then —

Posts1.png
Posts1.png (4.95 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

— oh, sorry. Never mind.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby gyre » Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 am

Birds are scary.
Larry is wary of being carried off by a condor.

That's the real story.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Sat May 18, 2013 7:31 am

You guys are being awful hard on this feather headed dumb ass
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Sat May 18, 2013 7:32 am

unjonharley wrote:You guys are being awful hard on this feather headed dumb ass

I thought that was what they were there for. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TT120 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:44 am

Tatonka laughs at your "No Feathers" rule.

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby lucky420 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:51 am

Yeah but those are cow feathers...big difference
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tatonka » Sat May 18, 2013 8:50 am

Will give that away to someone ,Im more of a single feather kinda of guy :) Also was wondering if ya took a real feather and coated it in clear resin, if it would still look ok? Shouldnt moop at all.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby trilobyte » Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 am

A single feather coated in resin could conceivably done…If you can manage to get it coated without any ruffling (maybe in a block), otherwise it's be stuck that way - you'd never be able to fix without ruining.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby tatonka » Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 am

yep you would have to dip it and not let it rest on anything ........ will try one :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby trilobyte » Sat May 18, 2013 10:26 am

The resin would need to be no thicker than water in order for you to be able to dip. I'm not a resin master, but the stuff I've used tends to have a thicker consistency. The resistance would likely fuck things up, that''s why I thought maybe doing a block cast might work. Fill block halfway with resin, lay feather down onto it, then add more resin to complete block, going slowly so as not to disturb the resin.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man