Carport Roof Dimensions - replacement roof

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Carport Roof Dimensions - replacement roof

Postby SachiIvy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 am

Hey friends!
We have a trusty old CostCo carport frame and we're looking to replace the original vinyl roof with a piece of shade cloth. We're having a hell of a time figuring out the dimensions to cover the peaked roof - does anyone know what the minimum dimensions are?
Something we should be able to figure out, but we're arguing over square roots of triangles over here and I thought the community might just have the answer!
SachiIvy

Re: Carport Roof Dimensions - replacement roof

Postby TomServo » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 am

about 12 by 20
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby MikeGyver » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 am

Simple measuring tool is throw a rope over and measure the length of the rope. no need for maths. If you still don't have an answer by morning I can go measure the one in the back yard.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby SachiIvy » Mon May 13, 2013 1:08 am

Damn maths...
I was an English major! Ha!
Thanks for the help, folks. :)
SachiIvy

Postby MikeGyver » Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 am

This says 10x20 but keep in mind there are a lot of different models.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby SachiIvy » Mon May 13, 2013 1:27 am

Yeah, and I don't trust the sites selling the replacement tops, because they list the dimensions as 10x20' - but the width of the carport is 10', so the actual width of the roof with the peak has got to be more than 10', right? 20' as the length makes sense... One site I looked at actually had the dimensions of the replacement top - as it is folded up in the shipping box! Not helpful!

This site has 'desert shade cloth' that looks pretty badass; the biggest size is 12x20' and I'm hoping that will fit. 12' still seems small, however. Plus I've read that the dimensions are for the CUT size, and the actual sizes are 4-6" smaller due to folding and stitching.

http://www.catalogclearance.com/product ... cloth.html

I'm thinking I might just get one damn big piece of regular shade cloth and throw it over the whole thing!
SachiIvy

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:06 am

I use a 10x20 underneath the original tarp and there's a gap at the edges, but it's not huge. I just use bungee balls to secure it and they don't stretch that much. Maybe a 11x20 would fit it perfect. 12x20 might be too big.

Or yeah, just measure it with the rope trick. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby BBadger » Mon May 13, 2013 8:19 am

It should be 12x20, but I find a lot of those replacement canopies are too small and fit too tightly. If you're going to use some piece of shade cloth, maybe just get it a bit larger so that you can block out light at the edges in addition to the top.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 am

As you are using shade clothe as a replacement, remember that the shade clothe has quite a bit of stretch in it. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TomServo » Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 am

We used a 12 x 20 tarp on ours and it was a tad small. But, the 3-4 inch gap between tarp and poles will make for good ventilation. Remember, the size advertised is the cut size..BEFORE its sewn and grommeted...so is normally a few inches less in either dimension.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BBadger » Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 am

I also wouldn't bother buying one of those premade canopies. The one I bought, which cost me about $100, didn't do so well in the wind and I had to cut some flaps in it. I'd just buy plain ol' shadecloth, or fix a quality tarp (note that these are good thick tarps and sized after hemming and grommeting) if I had to do it again.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby SachiIvy » Mon May 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Thank you everyone! This has helped immensely - especially because this stuff isn't cheap!
I want to get away from using tarps - they just greenhouse and create a big sail, which isn't attractive. Shade cloth and/or aluminet that allows the air through is the way to go. I've been wanting to get some forever! Our frame is in ok shape; there's a spot we patched with PVC, but it still works fine. I think without the added stress of a solid top, it'll be fine.
SachiIvy

Postby Asquared » Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm

obvi i don't know your locale, but i saw some camo netting and parachutes on the los angeles craigslist. if you just search 'burning man' it comes up.
the price was very reasonable.

yeah, i search cl everyday. just to see :D
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Burning Since: 2013

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 pm

No need to guesstimate. Since you already own the thing, do what Mrpatatomoto suggested. Set it up, use a rope to measure each direction.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby SachiIvy » Mon May 13, 2013 11:14 pm

I also check Craigslist pretty regularly - searching "Burning Man" always has entertaining results!
I'm in the Sonoma County, but I'll certainly keep an eye out.
SachiIvy

Return to Shelter & Camping