Evil Corportions Marketing on Playa

All things outside of Burning Man.

semantic antics

Postby chickenfish » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:07 pm

isn't the creation of commodities a term of commidification? Are t-shirts and hats not commodities?
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:51 pm

actiongrl wrote:Yes, we do sell those things. We do not hold that commerce is evil; just commodification. But the experiment of a city where those interactions are suspended between people is ever-fascinating. And note that the place where we could sell the most of them *is* the event, and that it doesn't happen (side note: there was a time when other things besides coffee and ice were for sale at Burning Man; hamburgers, tshirts are the two things I remember. I'm glad they took things off that path!)

There's a "Commodification 101" document in the works that I think will make an interesting article on the website...

Good...now better get this in before Joel tells us that we're complaining and not doing anything about it

http://www.nosweatapparel.com
http://www.globalexchange.org
http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/

for links to fair trade, union made, no sweat stuff, no stuff

I don't want to micro my activism too much...won't shop HellMart, buy Dell computers or Coors because both owners heavily support Republican causes
the biggest environmental statement I'd like to personally make soon is to buy a hybrid car (when I can afford it) use to make videos for US Electric Car and Zap
and I will not give up on rockstar...I love it, so fuck me dead
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby KellY » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:56 am

cowboyangel wrote:and I will not give up on rockstar...I love it, so fuck me dead

Aw, everybody's got an Achilles' Heel, dude.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

i no drink now taste like piss

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:57 pm

i no drink now taste like piss

. i just wish they had the Jaegermeister truck out there.. i dont think jaeger or meister have encouraged racisim or herbal rape of an islander

Re: i no drink now taste like piss

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:37 pm

space station Fuckoff wrote:i no drink now taste like piss

. i just wish they had the Jaegermeister truck out there.. i dont think jaeger or meister have encouraged racisim or herbal rape of an islander

rockstar looks just like piss really even has a tiny foam head to it too just like piss ( if you've ever pissed in a bottle...I have mountain climbing)

KellY...my Achilles heal is my overall belief too much in the "maya"
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Re: Evil Corportions Marketing on Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat May 11, 2013 6:06 pm

*bump*
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat May 11, 2013 11:29 pm

I find it funny is that liberal burners assume all burners are liberals.
Get a life. It's just a fucking radio show, it's only purpose is to attract enough attention and listeners to be able to charge high advertising rates. Michael Savage isn't a politician making any laws. Who gives a fuck. And if you think those guys like Savage or even Limbaugh actually believe everything they say on the air, you aren't as enlightened as you think.
Do I agree with all the shit he says? Hell no. But it's all just pot-stirring to sell advertising.
Savage's job isn't to be right about anything, it's to attract attention. The fact that we're all talking about him proves he's doing his job well. You lose.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun May 12, 2013 1:02 pm

roflmao....

yes Capitan, i DO win....
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby TomServo » Sun May 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Michael Savage never fired a rubber bullet at me..nor clubbed me with a baton. So, I really don't give a fuck. He's just a mouth among mouths. I've found, attacking public personalities and even corporations is much safer...and less effective..than attacking the ones with real power. However, I am glad that you finally got pissed off.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BBadger » Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 pm

TomServo wrote:Michael Savage never fired a rubber bullet at me..nor clubbed me with a baton. So, I really don't give a fuck. He's just a mouth among mouths. I've found, attacking public personalities and even corporations is much safer...and less effective..than attacking the ones with real power. However, I am glad that you finally got pissed off.

Gotta love those public outrage "feints." It's like those waste-of-time, lame-ass political issues that spring up around election time, such as that partial-birth abortion, instead of real issues such as the economy or cutting programs that would actually affect a large number of people. It's also like those Islamic governments drawing attention to mundane "moral" issues like headscarves to distract the uneducated proles from the real social and economic problems.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby 1durphul » Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 am

[media]

[media]
1durphul

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm

[media]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa