radical self-reliance

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: radical self-reliance

Postby Elliot » Sat May 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Darn tootin'!

The bus did not get hot at all. Note the air gap above the roof -- that's vital.

Oh, and that's Figjam's white pickup on the right, but his clever awning did not make it into the picture.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby FIGJAM » Sat May 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Must have been tough getting that big tarp up to the top of the bus. :wink:

I pack so that if I got to the playa and nobody showed up, I would still have everything I need. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby maladroit » Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Must have been tough getting that big tarp up to the top of the bus. :wink:

I pack so that if I got to the playa and nobody showed up, I would still have everything I need. 8)

Burning Man 2058: In an apocalyptic wasteland, FIGJAM seeks out even worse wasteland for a relaxing vacation alone.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Elliot » Sat May 11, 2013 9:30 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Must have been tough getting that big tarp up to the top of the bus. :wink:

Hot dog.... You are right. I did NOT do it alone. Figjam helped me get that big tarp up there! Dang.... Goes to show how the mind can get carried away -- mine, at least. I apologize to Figjam and to everyone here.

Dang. Hopefully this will cool my "sinful" pride for a while.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ChrissyP » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 pm

I hope the original poster got enough of an answer to use towards their own radical self-reliance..... my first burn, 2012, I bought and brought an 18 x 20, and 10 x 20 carport structures, plus a pink parachute, and some 10' pieces of 1" emt conduit.... so, I ended up with a 20 x 48' shaded, carpeted space with lights, pillows, chairs, swamp cooler, kitchen, etc... 10 people camped at my house, and dozens of others visited. I'm stepping up my game for this year......... I LOVE getting ready for things. I get a little tired of doing so much for others all the time though.... I got me a sparkle pony, and I just love to ride, but, I get tired of getting the drinks, fixing the dinner, washing the dishes, and then getting bit---ed at because, for some reason, I am not quite ready to go.... so, I get left behind while my Pony and our friends all take off without me....... That is when I really learn about radical self-reliance.... There are so many good folks out there, and so much to see and to do... I just like to ride around and look at what we build there! One of these days, I'm going HOME ALONE. because I can, and it will be MUCH easier on me when I do.....
Work is Love Made Visible. KG
ChrissyP

Postby ChrissyP » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:03 pm

.. and it took two of us to set up the 18 x 20, and a different helper to set up the 10 x 20, though I've done it alone.....I am the one who loads the truck and utility trailer, the one who plans, procures, packs, and even purges our things.....I need to learn a new trick though, how to be there, set it up good, and then let somebody bring ME a drink! That would be the good trick... ride pony ride.
Work is Love Made Visible. KG
ChrissyP

Postby fresh » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:02 pm

well if you go with the same pony and friends next time, bust a whip out and tame them.... or just pack it up and leave em. plenty of them running around out there. stop being camp mom and become camp queen!
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:25 pm

fresh wrote:well if you go with the same pony and friends next time, bust a whip out and tame them.... or just pack it up and leave em. plenty of them running around out there. stop being camp mom and become camp queen!

there are plenty of use that would let you throw you sleeping bag down.. I gave up drama queens.. my life is much better now.
unjonharley

Postby fresh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 am

unjonharley wrote:
fresh wrote:well if you go with the same pony and friends next time, bust a whip out and tame them.... or just pack it up and leave em. plenty of them running around out there. stop being camp mom and become camp queen!

there are plenty of use that would let you throw you sleeping bag down.. I gave up drama queens.. my life is much better now.

Since it seems that Chrissy is the one with all the stuff. She just needs to setup her camp with 1 or 2 people who may pull their weight and let those ponies die of thirst in the desert. Give them a lesson in self-reliance!!!
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks