Multiple Room Dwelling

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Multiple Room Dwelling

Postby Sassi3 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 pm

I was planning on making a Budget Truck into our home this year, but my reservation is turning into a fiasco at this point so I am exploring other alternatives. I was looking forward to going completely off the grid and have the lighting situation and solar powered swamp coolers worked out.

Ideally we would like to have a space that we can stand up inside of and have two sleeping areas or pods that will fit full size air beds.

I have looked into Hexayurts which I was jazzed about, but adding on pods with the models I built would be too small. I was researching the stretch Hexayurt but did not see any reviews if it was a good design for the playa. There is a relatively long span that is unsupported, and I worry that it would collapse. Has anyone ever used this design on the playa?

I also researched canvas and convention tents that are tall enough to stand up in, but don't see any that are three room unless one room is mesh and that is an unusable space. Plus I worry that the high profile of the non canvas tents might not be able to stand up to the wind even if butted on two walls by RVs.

I even went so far as to research companies that could make such a tent, but the minimum order is 100.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sassi
Sassi3

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Multiple Room Dwelling

Postby Savannah » Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Clearly you are trying to find the answers yourself! That's good. I can tell you a few things from my own experience--others will likely come along and make recommendations, too. I don't immediately find much when I google stretch hexayurts eplaya though. I've seen one stretch hexayurt at the event that I can remember--it's not something I look for--but foam panels seem to be much more common, and I see them everywhere.

I have a tent tall enough to stand in (Guide Gear Single Pole Wigwam). 10" Coleman stakes. It is not 3-room; just one. Larger, double pole versions are made, though. I camped next to one in 2010. My single-pole wigwam will fit a queen mattress (which I have tried on a regular camping trip), although it takes up half the floor space if I do, & touches the center pole. I like a lot of space in my tent & I sleep alone out there, so I use a single cot instead (& the space under the cot for storage, which is really handy).

The Wigwam has withstood winds in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, although none of these years gave it the test that 2008 would've. My previous tent, a simple dome, survived crazy-windy 2008 with excellent staking, & the mild shield of a van parked south of it, but not terribly close--which would've been better. (I also used domes in 2000 and 2001 with a fair amount of wind. I remember a 4 hour Wednesday storm in 2000. Good staking and good luck prevailed).

In 2009 and 2010 the wigwam had no vehicle shielding, & withstood moderate wind/rain, but nothing extreme.

In 2011 an RV was parked 8 feet South of my wigwam, & it did fine. However, the weather was the best it's ever been. :lol:

In 2012 I pitched the wigwam in a corner between 2 RVs forming an "L" (one aimed [approximately] East-West, one North-South). This was wonderful, and gave me quite a bit of protection, although the wind last year was very mild. Better yet: I got an extra hour of sleep in the morning. I will totally do this again if I can. (I don't shade my tent, I like to leave my tent and sit in my shade.)

In summary: RVs are excellent tent protection, but serious staking--and use of any vehicle as a windblock--goes a long way.

Shade that doesn't collapse or blow away is harder to achieve than tents that won't.

Prevailing winds are from the SW. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby EspressoDude » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

consider a costco carport. drive fence post T stakes at the corners. Wrap carport leg and T stake with saran wrap then duct tape. the saran wrap keeps everything from becoming a sticky mess. Just slice with a knife to undo the legs. thanks to BadDawg for this idea.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 am

EspressoDude wrote:consider a costco carport. drive fence post T stakes at the corners. Wrap carport leg and T stake with saran wrap then duct tape. the saran wrap keeps everything from becoming a sticky mess. Just slice with a knife to undo the legs. thanks to BadDawg for this idea.

That could be tricky trying to get the tarps on it with the legs taped down. I use ratchet straps/rebar to hold down the frame while I'm putting the tarps on. You can still move the legs around without having to worry about it turning into a death kite.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 pm

KEEP DEATH KITES POTENTIALLY FATAL.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EspressoDude » Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 pm

all of Burning Man is tricky
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 10, 2013 6:48 pm

KEEP BURNING MAN TRICKY.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby some seeing eye » Sat May 11, 2013 11:18 am

Tall inexpensive tents are at risk of blowdown. Canvas expedition or military tents are generally tough. I have seen multi room tall and relatively inexpensive tents in carports with side walls. Most carports are tough enough properly staked to stay up with tarp roofs and walls - and silver tarps would be ideal. All that breaks down for transport. Bring less, enjoy more.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby delle » Sat May 11, 2013 2:34 pm

He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Elorrum » Mon May 13, 2013 4:49 pm

google this: Ozark Trail Agadez
no r.v. available, but you all have private rooms.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Sassi3 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Sellers, that would be a sweat dwelling.

Found a company in the UK that sells these tents that are nicer, and probably larger then my apartment when I was looking around the Internet. I suspect they are made for families who don't really want to camp but bring their house to the outdoors. They do have some reasonably sized and priced ones which are exactly what we are looking for, but I am wondering if they will withstand the winds. Outwell is the company. It seems like Kempa and Robens have knockoffs, but again, weary of fiberglass poles.
Sassi3

Burning Since: 2011

Return to Shelter & Camping