Tips, Guides, to playa proofing trucks (Mutant Vehicles)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Tips, Guides, to playa proofing trucks (Mutant Vehicles)

Postby TallNeil » Fri May 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Hey All,
I am a long time Burner but this is the first year I hope to bring a large mutant vehicle. The base is a large Flat bed Diesel GMC T6500 truck. I am hoping to not totally ruin it. (I know...that might be dreaming). Does anyone know of a great guide to installing playa dust filters for the engine or other great tips on how to protect the truck and the engine for the week. We are driving it down from Vancouver Canada and need to be able to convert it to go back on the road on the way home.
thanks!
Neil
TallNeil

Re: Tips, Guides, to playa proofing trucks (Mutant Vehicles)

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 pm

I think you'll be OK, your best bet is to bring spare air filters for it, and change them out before you leave. Maybe even a fresh one while you're there mid-week or so.

On my mutant vehicle I used 4" plastic flex hose attached to my air cleaner, routed to a less dusty area for the engine to breathe from.
Maybe this year I'll even put a filter on the end of that. I don't think airflow restriction is a big deal because we're pretty much just idling all the time.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby TallNeil » Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 pm

ya I figured brining a few extra dust filters was the key and the hose to an area that is higher up where there is cleaner air, is a good idea. What about cabin air intake filter also i guess?
Otherwise do you basically just wash the engine down after? Any particular product that is good at cleaning playa engines? Items that will surely need to be replaced or tuned after/during?
Any other tips to keep it running well?
Thanks!
PS - Where does one find info about mutant car storage in the area? Consideing the amount of work it will take to build and drive it down, we are considering storing it for the year down there somewhere and then flying in-out. Do people store in Reno or just out at some farm I have heard rumors of in the desert?
TallNeil

Postby Agaton » Fri May 10, 2013 3:22 pm

be able to convert it to go back on the road

What about cabin air intake filter also i guess?

Cabin air? Do you plan to keep this truck as a normal roadgoing truck the rest of the year?
I have observed that it is difficult to see out of windshield on the Playa, specally at night. A little of dust, and lots of other lights, and all you see is reflections. So if I was to do this, I would consider making the windshield removable.
Good luck!
"Farted in my wallet, now I have gas money."
--UnJonHarley
Agaton

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation board, since that's a better fit for general preparation questions.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Transportation