Sealing Manila Rope to Avoid MOOP

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Sealing Manila Rope to Avoid MOOP

Postby JuneCat » Fri May 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey everyone,

We just bought a ton of manila rope to make climbing nets for our cat tree art piece, Catmandu. I've seen this stuff used before on the playa, but the one we have has a bunch of little hairs that might turn into MOOP. Is there a good way to seal it with wax, oil, etc, in order to prevent it from shedding?

Thanks!
June
JuneCat

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Catmandu

Re: Sealing Manila Rope to Avoid MOOP

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Going out on a limb here cause I've never thought about this but.... Perhaps you could singe the rope just a touch with a propane torch to get rid of the current bits that stick out and then treat with a spray on wax. I wonder what the old sailors used to water proof their ropes. Hmmmmmm. Whatever it is that might work.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby EspressoDude » Fri May 10, 2013 6:30 pm

old sailors used tar on ropes and ponytails...that is where the name 'jack tars' came from
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Giving this a nudge to the Q&A board, since that would be a better fit about a general question about treating moopy rope.

My first recommendation would be to return it if you can. Even if there's a small restocking fee, consider it the price of a lesson learned (get a small quantity to test on any material you're going to use before making a bulk buy). Any money you saved on that will likely get eaten up on treatments or coatings. There are loads of non-MOOPy ropes out there, and you may even be able to get some really big braid stuff to give it a nice oversized look that might work well with an oversized/human-sized tower.

If returning it's not an option, and it's too expensive to just replace with better material anyways, I'd recommend looking at a clearcoat/polycoat. Brushes on wet like paint and has a milky color, then dries hard and clear. You can even get stuff that's water-based, so you can clean up with soap and water instead of having to use solvents. The downside is that it's something you don't want to apply on-playa - if dust kicked up while it was drying, it's be stuck there forever and it'd look more like litterbox clumps than a rope scratching post. Most hardware stores have a wide selection of polycoat, MinWax is a popular brand. You can get a little quart-sized can for under $20 to test with before committing to gallon sized cans for the bulk of the project if you go that route. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Any thing applied wet and drys hard. Will crumble off with use..
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Sun May 12, 2013 7:38 pm

I don't know, do you experience much crumbling off things like weatherproofed front doors of homes or decks? If applied properly, a good polycoat is pretty solid stuff.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby maladroit » Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Front doors aren't floppy.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 am

True - I'm not saying it's ideal (best would be to get rid of it and get something that will work for any/all needs), but using a sealer would allow them to at least use the stuff to use what that kind of rope is often used for on cat towers, wrapping posts (cats love scratching that stuff).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby EspressoDude » Mon May 13, 2013 8:02 am

I believe the rope used to tow the Trojan Horse in 2011 was 1800 feet (3 ea 600ft spools) of 1-1/2" manila hemp rope. This was cut into 6 ea 300 ft tow ropes; then used to lay out the 300 ft radius of the burn perimeter.

It was period specific, because there was no plastic rope at the time of the original Trojan Horse
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks