radical self-reliance

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

radical self-reliance

Postby bendiwan » Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 am

i was thinking this year maybe to take my radical self-reliance to a different level, i mean get to BRC by myself and camp only with me, and really feel the radical self reliance, theoretically what do you think the expense of this experience will be? im coming from outside the US so this will include renting a car, buying/renting most of the gear (cooking, shelter, etc..) water, food, and etc etc etc. and do you think it can work?
did anyone here try to do this? or know someone who did?
thanks.
bendiwan

Re: radical self-reliance

Postby BeeWeeDee » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 am

That's what I did last year - my first burn. I got a ticket late in the summer OMG sale then read everything I could on the site. With four weeks to prepare and taking all the advice to heart, I went and had a great time solo. Everything I took fit inside a Honda Hybrid and I actually took too much stuff but some of the unused stuff could have come in handy if I had needed it (e.g. first aid kit). I was prepared for 11 days solo food/water wise but found others to be very generous, though I went with the idea I alone would feed myself. Keep it simple. You don't need a costume change every minute. Sponge baths and baby wipes do just fine. Light colored clothes, sturdy shoes, wide brim hat, sunscreen a scarf for dust protection, eye protection (IMHO goggles suck and wrap around sunglasses worked fine), a beverage cup, water and a water bottle, and a bicycle. You will not see and experience everything. You will be camping out in the dessert. It gets hot. It gets cold. It is very dry and dusty. You will need shade. The wind blows. The people you meet are friendly.
"If you embrace change you'll love it forever." - Ratty
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby bendiwan » Wed May 01, 2013 11:40 am

wow that sounds really awesome!
can you give me any more tips in order to succeed this operation?
anything you think can me useful for me. and how much money do you think ill need to invest in it?
thanks
bendiwan

Postby Dr Helix » Wed May 01, 2013 11:47 am

BeeWeeDee wrote:That's what I did last year - my first burn. I got a ticket late in the summer OMG sale then read everything I could on the site. With four weeks to prepare and taking all the advice to heart, I went and had a great time solo. Everything I took fit inside a Honda Hybrid and I actually took too much stuff but some of the unused stuff could have come in handy if I had needed it (e.g. first aid kit). I was prepared for 11 days solo food/water wise but found others to be very generous, though I went with the idea I alone would feed myself. Keep it simple. You don't need a costume change every minute. Sponge baths and baby wipes do just fine. Light colored clothes, sturdy shoes, wide brim hat, sunscreen a scarf for dust protection, eye protection (IMHO goggles suck and wrap around sunglasses worked fine), a beverage cup, water and a water bottle, and a bicycle. You will not see and experience everything. You will be camping out in the dessert. It gets hot. It gets cold. It is very dry and dusty. You will need shade. The wind blows. The people you meet are friendly.

This an excellent capsulized overview! Well thought out.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Savannah » Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am

People do this all the time, Bendiwan. Yep, you might be able to do it just fine. Your radical self-reliance starts now, however. :) No one can know how much this will cost better than you.

Your post history says you're from Israel. Will you be flying directly from there? Have you priced flights from Israel to Reno? Have you visited rental car websites yet? What kind of rental do you want? Do they have that kind in Reno, or will you want to fly into Las Vegas or San Francisco? Are you licensed to drive internationally and old enough to rent a car? Are you flexible on what you drive? Do you have your ticket yet? Are you counting that in the cost? This is why it's hard to give you an answer . . . but you are in a position to start calculating.

What people spend really varies and depends on many things. For example, I would tell an 1) American who was 2) driving 3) solo from 4) the West Coast that they should allow $1,500 ~ $2,000 including ticket for a regular tent + shade setup, and be happy if it cost less (because it might, depending on how thrifty a person is and how much camping gear they own). But those are a lot of variables already, and not all of them match your experience.

How much do YOU spend on Burning Man?
viewtopic.php?t=62966
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm

radical self reliance taken to another level, at burning man?!

so i guess youre bringing your own police force, medical help, sanitation, street lights, fire dept, and power grid?!

cool.

*and insurance
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Eric » Wed May 01, 2013 6:41 pm

lemur wrote:radical self reliance taken to another level, at burning man?!

so i guess youre bringing your own police force, medical help, sanitation, street lights, fire dept, and power grid?!

cool.

*and insurance

Street lights & a power grid? What kind of fancy-ass land do you camp in?

Oh, right, Center Camp - where the Org gives a very limited number of people a power grid. (see: the Black Hole, the 3:00 & 9:00 Plaza's, and... hmmm... not sure if there's anywhere else... )

of course, I've camped in Center Camp all but two of my years, so I get to be elite as well
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Of course, by asking people for input you're kind of failing a bit more in the radical self reliance department ;)

People do solo camping every year. Some of them even survive. :mrgreen:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm

THe only thing I find funny is that getting yourself there and taking care of yourself is considered taking radical self-reliance to a different level. I thought that was the standard.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby maladroit » Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 am

bendiwan wrote:renting a car, buying/renting most of the gear (cooking, shelter, etc..) water, food, and etc etc etc. and do you think it can work?
did anyone here try to do this? or know someone who did?

Have I arranged transportation, bought gear, and brought food and water? Yes.

Do I think it will work? Yes.

Do I know anyone else who did it? Yes, about 55,000 last year.
maladroit

Postby fresh » Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 am

Truly being radical self-reliant, i taking care of yourself, only yourself, and depend on no one might be harder than you think. I would say very few individuals SOLELY do not depend on anyone else in every single aspect of their burn. That is why people camp together. Really, if you need to pound large tent stakes, are you going to buy that $12 hammer at wal-mart? Will you bypass that and try pounding the stakes with the block of cheese you brought, or will you save $$ and troubles and ask your neighbors if you can borrow a hammer for 10 minutes?? Hmm...

If hell bent on the radical self reliance, and cost is not an issue, then go for it. If you are concerned with finances, it might be prudent to find 1 or 2 others whose plans are similar to yours and join forces. This could greatly reduce the cost of car rental, gas, and other supplies that can easily be shared. It would be prudent to thoroughly screen and communicate constantly with anyone you might plan with. I can attest to that. Long story shot, the guy i shared a rental car with (in my name) left me an hour earlier than we planned. I was stuck. If it was not for my friends driving me to reno, what would I have done?

We all need someone we can lean on......
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby Chowski » Tue May 07, 2013 11:27 am

I am re-posting this from after last year's burn. Hope it helps give you some idea of how I did it:

Tent (used) $30
Camo netting $50
Stakes, ropes, zip ties (borrowed and purchased) $60
Lighting (solar christmas lights, el wire, camp lantern) $60
Food/Water $100
Alcohol $100
Clothing (made some, bought some used) $100
Ticket $340
Gas $80
Cigarettes $60
Travelling expenses (meals, tolls) $100
Bike (used) $50
Bike lights/fur $30
Gifting gifts $200
Car detailing after $150
Various supplies (toiletries, cup, vitamins, etc.) $200
Pet care $100
Batteries $20
Roof Rack $250
Borrowed or owned (free) things: coooler, ez-up, costumes, sledge hammer, sleeping bag, etc.

So it looks like my grand total was $2,080.00. I "went small" - no camp dues, no financial contributions to camp or placed art, no cooking. And next time, many of these expenses will be cut (roof rack, tent, lights, camping supplies). I may have also spent a few hundred more dollars on mood enhancers, but to lay out that expenditure might not be legally prudent, and I do not include that here.
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 am

ticket .........$380

hookers & Blow ..........$500

spending a night in the back of Doc Pyro's RV.......priceless.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:ticket .........$380

hookers & Blow ..........$500

spending a night in the back of Doc Pyro's RV.......priceless.

*checks for bubblegum wrappers*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Krokodyle » Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 pm

...and avoid the random tennis balls :?
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Is camo netting really only $50?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Chowski » Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm

I got my camo netting (10 x 10) used somewhere online. I can't remember where. But it was a good deal, and invaluable in keeping my little camp together. I got quite a bit of stuff really cheap by keeping an eye on Craigslist and snatching up other people's cast-offs. After last year's ticket fiasco, many people chose not to go, and sold their used gear for cheap. Putting together a camp on the cheap takes time and commitment, but it can be done.
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Asquared » Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Is camo netting really only $50?

i got 2 (7x35) nets for just under $100. new.
so, yes.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm

I would like to understand why I am not permitted to be radically self-reliant.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I would like to understand why I am not permitted to be radically self-reliant.

HUH? thought you were..

Some of us have depend o a little assistance..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 08, 2013 7:24 pm

unjonharley wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I would like to understand why I am not permitted to be radically self-reliant.

HUH? thought you were..

Some of us have depend o a little assistance..

It's my on-going fight to have people respect my independence...
Yeah, sometimes I need some assistance. Tends to make me insist more when I don't need it, if you understand what I mean.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah, my kids hover.. I don't say anything.. But it driver nuts..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 am

fresh wrote: I would say very few individuals SOLELY do not depend on anyone else in every single aspect of their burn. That is why people camp together.

I wouldn't say that!
I've never not taken care of ALL my own logistics and my friends do the same.
We camp together because we're friends and like to hang out together, not because we don't have our shit handled already.

I always understood that's the deal at Burning Man and the survival guide makes it pretty clear too.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby FIGJAM » Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 am

Amen Captain! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 am

I was told on this board: I was not self reliant.. Because I have Life Flight, Fire&Med(EMT) ER and Cremation insurance.. WTF, I carry extra cas to return to Cedarville. I see buying assurance that I will be taken care of pretty self reliant..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 am

Yeah, I'm sure this person grows the cotton, harvests it, processes it into thread, weaves it into cloth in order to make bandages...

I'm not even going to talk about the smelting to make al-oo-min-ee-um for the camp cookware...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu May 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Hey unjon I think we can take care of that cremation while we're there!
Captain Goddammit

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Hey unjon I think we can take care of that cremation while we're there!

I see Fishy,, I did not ask for any help..
unjonharley

Postby maladroit » Thu May 09, 2013 9:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It's my on-going fight to have people respect my independence...
Yeah, sometimes I need some assistance. Tends to make me insist more when I don't need it, if you understand what I mean.

Does it bother you when people ask if you need help with some task, or do you always prefer to initiate contact with someone and ask them?

Probably the most infuriating is when people "ask" and then proceed to fumble their "help" into your life without listening to your answer.
maladroit

Postby fresh » Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
fresh wrote: I would say very few individuals SOLELY do not depend on anyone else in every single aspect of their burn. That is why people camp together.

I wouldn't say that!
I've never not taken care of ALL my own logistics and my friends do the same.
We camp together because we're friends and like to hang out together, not because we don't have our shit handled already.

I always understood that's the deal at Burning Man and the survival guide makes it pretty clear too.

Yes after re-reading this, I must recant much of this statement, but also defend it at the same time. Yes an oxymoron. Many do bring everything they need to survive, everything. Many pool resources. I know our camp we have some pooled/communal resources such as kitchen and shower. I left my big sledgehammer at home, why, because I knew there were at least two others bringing theirs. So that was a good 15lbs i did not have to weigh down my car on that 1000 mile drive yet i still brought my hand sledge.
Now i highlighted SOLELY along with "every single aspect". I know, you all got your shit together, but do you every have some one do the following: make you a drink, serve you a meal, provide you with shade? I would say yes. Therefore you are not SOLELY self-reliant. Someone has helped you even if you don't need it. I will say that being radically self reliant also includes making sure shit will show up and that you also have a backup plan.

We all can't be FigJam.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks