Does all art in deep playa need to be "placed"?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Does all art in deep playa need to be "placed"?

Postby gibson_ » Thu May 09, 2013 5:14 pm

For instance, if I am willing to just haul my stuff out there by hand (no early entry, meaning I can't drive my truck out there), is it okay to just place stuff wherever I want?
gibson_

Re: Does all art in deep playa need to be "placed"?

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Not quite. "Wherever I want" is definitely no, since you can't put stuff in another installation's space (maybe you arrive before a piece of placed art does, or where you want to put it is 9 feet away from someone else's piece), or in the way of the road to the temple, etc. There are some additional responsibilities too (securing it against high wind, illumination for night-time). If you haven't read this page, give it a read.

You can do walk-up registration with the ARTery. Just show up with your stuff, and they can get you sorted for a place out in deep playa (there's plenty of room). That has the added benefit of your piece then turning up in the directory that people can view at the ARTery.

If you've never built/installed something in deep playa, I've been told that securing against the wind and illuminating it are key. If you think winds get bad in the city, they get even more fierce out where there's less to break them. And an unlit structure is far more likely to get damaged or hurt someone. MV's are usually well lit and watching where they're going as are most participants, but darkwads (on foot or on bikes) often operate with the mentality that it's okay to be a darkwad because everything they could run into is lit up.

Hope that info helps!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Thu May 09, 2013 5:40 pm

basically yes..

but politely 'no'

at least, from what i understand of it, over the years, theyd like to know where you put your stuff.. like to have it registered on playa at the artery.

but its not like theyll toss something into the burn barrel if you put yer art some place.

*not an official*
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Part of it is to make sure that you clean it up, and if the art is left on the playa, we know who left it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby maladroit » Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 am

So if you plan to just leave your art out there when you go, don't contact the ARTery.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 am

Do not abandon things in deep playa (or anywhere out in BRC), regardless of whether you contact the ARTery or not.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you. The playa belongs to us. Treat it with respect.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lemur » Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 pm

yeah, but.. they pay the dpw to clean up anyways.!

in fact, the more you leave the better the LLC looks!

think of the reports clicking away on some typewriter

'the dpw, and burning man, committed to keeping the playa clean removed x,xxx pounds of trash from the site before clearing it to be inspected by the BLM, this is our highest amount yet!!! congrats to the hardworking playa restoration crew on a great job.. the playa is all of ours, and we at burning man and the dpw are committed to keeping this great resource clean and pristine for the enjoyment of all, year round'

yadda yadda.. ahem, meanwhile.. back at the slag heap.

dont let larry™ shackle you up in his bureaucracy to be continually tracked and spreadsheeted[1]!

put yer art out there....the inner playa wouldnt be a good place to put it..... out in the deep, not in the way... and clean it up... if you dont clean it up, someone else will (have to) do it.. (it wont be the end of the world)..... do like youd do in camp, make the things visible so people dont trip on it or smash into it.. and make sure it doesnt blow away... if youre as awesome as people would expect you to be there shouldnt be any concern with this.

no need to get all mired down in THIS type of bullshit[2] (well.. unless you got bigass projects/dangerous shit/fire/or being totally clueless and needing help doing this right):

From filling out the art installation registration form, participating a dialogue with us, arriving on the playa, protecting your art, and cleanup accountability, every aspect of creating art must be taken seriously.

make some shit..

[1] http://profiles.burningman.com/faq/
[2] http://www.burningman.com/installations ... lines.html
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby maladroit » Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 am

In retrospect, that joke (which was mildly funny) did have some risk of being taken seriously, so thanks for the clarification trilobyte.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby gibson_ » Wed May 15, 2013 10:44 am

Wait...usually I just bury all of my trash and leave little flags over it for DPW to find. Are you guys saying that isn't what I'm supposed to do?

Kidding...kidding...

Good to know. I just wasn't sure if there was a "deadline" like there is for art cars (TODAY!), which I honestly don't think I'll get done :(

Sounds like I can just talk to the Artery when I get there, and be excellent by making sure things are lit.
gibson_

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 am

There's a deadline for art installations (June 19th at noon), but that has more to do with being listed in the guidebook or on one of the tours. So long as it meets the guidelines for art on the playa (no tire fire installation :mrgreen: ), they're happy to see you and get you an awesome spot if you show up unannounced or unregistered.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby daft » Wed May 29, 2013 9:26 pm

You can take it the Artery when U come and they will give you a spot to drop it.
daft

Return to 2013 Art & Performance