The playa and amplified sound

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Re: The playa and amplified sound

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed May 08, 2013 11:08 pm

So what do you think would be the thought on dub,Cajun,bluegrass, David Bowie, kiss, slayer.... Ect. Would be all on one playlist :) the more I add to the playlist the weirder is becomes. :shock:
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Savannah » Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:So what do you think would be the thought on dub,Cajun,bluegrass, David Bowie, kiss, slayer.... Ect. Would be all on one playlist :) the more I add to the playlist the weirder is becomes. :shock:

If you feel like you're all over the place and it's getting a little odd, make smaller playlists based on time of day and/or mood. It doesn't matter who the artists are if a song fits the mood. So maybe you have your "High Energy Dance Music" playlist, and your "It's Late but I'm Feeling Exceedingly Groovy" list, and your "It's Super Late and I Want Something Soothing to Play Quietly, and If I Fall Asleep, So Be It" list. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 am

i tend to have my 'YEE HAW LETS FUCKIN PARTAY' time around 4-6am maybe twice a burn..

that means its around when someones lame tired ass ipod has been on repeat for 3 hours and most of the people who sleep in the lounge are passed the fuck out or stupid or both and then i tend towards hooking up some crooner stuff like frank sinatra to greet the sunrise, OF COURSE, none of that slow shit.. YA GOTTA SWING!

turn it up nice and loud,.. aim the speakers a little bit away from the creepers in the lounge.. and then head up on deck to greet the mornin.

as someone was saying ...somewehre.. 'now i feel like partying!' and, usually.. its a fun sunrise... then shortly there after people start suggestin its time for the lemur to go to bed now.

*weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

otherwise, i dont play much music at burning man..

if i listen to anything at the burn its often an audiobook.. i will put in one ear bud thing and walk around lookin at junk with the volume low enough that i can have a chat without going nuts.

that makes me wonder.

how great would it be to have the big ass sound camps blaring out audibooks all day long when the ravers arent dancing.

...talk about zonin out at a dance camp, uh huh
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby DrYes » Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 am

I wonder if Get Lucky will have jumped the shark by then. Probably.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby BBadger » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 am

Now you need to add some Raymond Scott and some 1950s commercial music*.

* Guaranteed everybody will love this.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu May 09, 2013 1:57 am

lemur wrote:
how great would it be to have the big ass sound camps blaring out audibooks all day long when the ravers arent dancing.

...talk about zonin out at a dance camp, uh huh

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Best idea I have heard in a while. That would be epic!

What book would we hear first? 50 shades or gray? Game of thrones?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 am

Some of the sound camps do actually have different programming throughout the daytime hours.

Several of my favorite playa moments ever have been at the now-defunct El Circo (still the best sound I've ever heard), one in particular was spending the day in the dome with friends taking in spoken word performances, a dramatic reading (no pressing play on an audiobook, it was live original content), and even a puppet show.

That said, if there's something you'd really like to see or experience out there…bring it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 am

You're not seriously recommending that lemur start a sound camp just so he can play audio books during the day?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am

lemur wrote:i tend to have my 'YEE HAW LETS FUCKIN PARTAY' time around 4-6am maybe twice a burn..

that means its around when someones lame tired ass ipod has been on repeat for 3 hours and most of the people who sleep in the lounge are passed the fuck out or stupid or both . . .

God, iPods on repeat. :shock:

I just make playlists in iTunes and burn 'em to CD. Solves that little problem.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elliot » Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

dragonpilot wrote:DJs should be required to do a 50-yard radius walk from their speakers to hear how really shitty their tunes are from a distance.

I second this notion :!:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Eric » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:So what do you think would be the thought on dub,Cajun,bluegrass, David Bowie, kiss, slayer.... Ect. Would be all on one playlist :) the more I add to the playlist the weirder is becomes. :shock:

This sounds like a normal playlist to me (minus kiss & slayer, plus klezmer, polka, folk, classic country, classical, electro-swing... ) It's like my brain - a little bit of a lot of stuff, all mixed up.

We were using our "cleaning" playlist with our personal trainer, and he kept looking at the stereo quizzically. It's all upbeat stuff, but Louis Prima can be followed by Alt-J, the Beatles, Jake Bugg, Hedningarna, or He's My Brother She's My Sister. Rock, folk, klezmer, country, pop, bluegrass, variations of swing, Scandinavian folk...

If it's a playlist for your camp, and you're not worried about how others receive it (and you're not blasting it so loud everyone around you has to hear it), put all those together. It's not like someone has to stay in your camp if they don't like it - but give your campmates the power of "skip" if a song is driving them crazy.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby maladroit » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Very little of what I heard out there was memorable by itself, but the shifting cacophony was amazing. Bring something you like, but don't try too hard to rip people out of the ambient sound texture.
maladroit

Postby euthlogo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 pm

As someone who will be bringing amplified sound to our camp because I really enjoy playing, playing with, and listening to music, I hope to contribute a bit of "I haven't heard this song in forever!!" and a fair helping of "what the hell IS that?" to the soundscape. All I know for sure is that nothing is going to go as planned for my first burn, but those are my intentions. I also hope our camp has some real instruments to play with. Any suggestions for easy to pick up, fun to play with instruments?
<3
euthlogo

Burning Since: 2013

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 am

Nice rig, Nixie.

I'm thinking that if you're experienced as a dj, you should already know the answer to this question.

You don't mention power so ...?

A big traditional amp that has scads of heat sink and runs cool is your best bet, obviously.
The dc car amps were once massively sinked and virtually sealed.
Very easy to add more sinking to some designs, just as the best inverters are totally airtight.
Various other approaches have been suggested elsewhere too.
Gold surfaced mirrors can keep electronics cool in direct sun, if that's needed.

The new trick ultra compact designs ... good luck.

Best practice is to leave all the equipment at home.
gyre

Postby Dr. Brap » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:instead, bring you....you and your mixes on digital media if you're so inclined, who knows, if you are Gods Gift to the Decks, maybe someone will let you play their rig.

You know, well curated playlist with a decent portable sound could be an amazing gift. Walk up to a small gathering without music. Ask if they would like some music and then be able to meet their request. 80's playlist, russian military marches, samba, whatever they ask for. You only need a few songs for each genre.

Solid suggestion. A few of us were sitting around my booth last year when this guy rolled by towing an amplified speaker behind his bike. The sweet sounds of Afroman were hanging in the desert breeze. As the dust floated through the air and the sun began to fade we sang along to "Crazy Rap" like it was the Star Spangled Banner. A memorable moment for sure.
Burn Burn yes you're gonna Burn.
Dr. Brap

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination