Tired topic! Coming from the UK but no RV :(

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Tired topic! Coming from the UK but no RV :(

Postby Bbutton76 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey all,

Sorry if this a repetitive topic but i'm new to these forums...newbie excuses! I'm sure this is a running theme so please point me in the direction of other relevant threads.

Can anyone help with RV help from San Fran? We need a large 7-8 berth but there's literally nothing on the major rental sites. Do any of you lovely people have any local sf area recommendations?

Bbutton76

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Tired topic! Coming from the UK but no RV :(

Postby dragonpilot » Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 pm

RVs get snapped up pretty quickly in the SFO/RNO area...there may be some still available in Las Vegas/LA/Seattle/Portland, but picking up one there would require a change in airline plans.

That said, a week on the playa is survivable without an RV. Granted, an RV solves a lot of logistics issues, but more than half the denizens of Black Rock City make do with tents and associated camping equipment...even a semblance of cleanliness can be maintained with spray bottle showers and baby wipes.

I take an RV, but we use it only for the meal prep. Besides NEVER using the RV toilets (we use the BRC porta potties), we all sleep in tents outside for gear storage and privacy...7-8 people sleeping/peeing/pooping inside is pure chaos.

Good luck on your search!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Earthwalker » Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

I have no clue, but I've heard feedback on here and other places that a lot of the convenient locations are already all booked for both RVs and cargo trucks. As stated above, you'll likely need to get one in an alternate city
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 08, 2013 6:59 pm

For cultural context, Labor Day Weekend is the last three-day weekend of summer, and even without the burn, the RV supply is going to be thin. There's a reason why some people make their reservations when they get back from the burn, or as soon as that week is available for reservation. Work on a fallback that doesn't involve an RV--you may not need it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Token » Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Yee bloody Limeys are DOOOOOMED!

Look up "El Monty RV" and find one that has a "Caravan" 'vailable.

Find ye two of 25 years or more of age and least likely to die driving the wrong side of the road and book them a one-way flight from wherever you land and wherever El Monte has "Caravans".

Pass the hat about for "petrol" money and send the fools on the way to get the motorcoach.

Then the mentioned "least likely to die" fools can come pick all the rest of ye rabble and on the way you go.

See

Easy
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Build a time machine and go back to when rentals were still available, or consider getting your vehicle in another city.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bbutton76 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for the comments and advice all, it's most appreciated from limey central ;

Extending the available sleeping space via tents was something i clearly didn't think of.

unless i can get this time machine working again....

looking forward to meeting you all!
Bbutton76

Postby Savannah » Thu May 09, 2013 10:46 am

Bbutton76 wrote:Thanks for the comments and advice all, it's most appreciated from limey central ;

Extending the available sleeping space via tents was something i clearly didn't think of.

unless i can get this time machine working again....

looking forward to meeting you all!

If you're trying to cram 7 or 8 people into one RV you will not be sorry you have a tent or two as well. That's an awful lot of people in one RV, no matter what the manual says.

If you actually do get an RV at this late date, these threads are especially worth reading:

Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an RV
viewtopic.php?t=34551

Keeping the RV dust-free (well, as dust-free as possible)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46062

RV Campers Survival Guide
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=54180
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eric » Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm

As has been touched on above - a "7 or 8 person" RV doesn't really hold that many. We took an "8 person" RV one year & had 7 of us, and we were ready to kill 3 of them by the end of the week (luckily the friendship survived). Subtract 2 or 3 people from what the RV company tells you it will hold - some of the "beds" are child sized, some are barely shoulder width (the "convertible couch"). I've used an RV every year - we rent a 5 person RV, 3 of us use it, and we know each-others habits & personalities really well at this point.

Rent the big RV, get tents for at least half the people to sleep in (maybe rotate for fairness?)

Like dragonpilot said - do not use the RV toilet! Just don't. The exception for us (only 3 people, remember) is that we allow ourselves it's use for "night pee" starting around Thursday. That has been survivable, but even that can start to get a little smelly by Monday.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lucky420 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:18 pm

craigslist reno has rentals from private parties for rvs. look under burning man...try craigslist sanfrancisco
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby International Incident » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am

Hey BButton,

You "might" find a camper van or even a cargo van is available somewhere (but I'd get on that really quick).

We have 11 in our little camp - all from overseas. It is doable without an RV it really is.

We are constructing a shade structure for a couple of tents with the cargo van (which will only sleep two of us) as one side. We figure we can easily get two tents in that shade structure (you could even probably fit in more).

So if it all goes bad consider just getting something that is big enough to haul out some shade gear and tents. You might need to find a car pool to put a few people in as well - see the rideshare.

Good luck and message me if you want to know about our experience with coming in from o/s.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Bbutton76 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:02 am

Hi again all,

Thanks again for the advice and especially the threads on RV house rules :)

Good news we have another RV and so the group is split between the two....see you in BRC, i'll be the one offering out the warm beverages :wink:
Bbutton76

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 11, 2013 9:18 am

Bbutton76 wrote: i'll be the one offering out the warm beverages :wink:

You're sure to stand out...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Transportation