Geodesic Dome

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Geodesic Dome

Postby TheRedWizard » Mon May 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Hey,

I'm a first time dome builder, and I was wondering if you can use different sized conduit for the lower sections of the dome. I found a bunch of cheap conduit and I can have 1.5" conduit at the base and 3/4" after the bottom section.. is this at all possible?
TheRedWizard

Burning Since: 2009

Re: Geodesic Dome

Postby Earthwalker » Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm

I really dislike the word "geodesic". I mean, who do they think they are?
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby BeeWeeDee » Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes. Anything is possible
"If you embrace change you'll love it forever." - Ratty
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Earthwalker » Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:Yes. Anything is possible

Can I quote you on that? I guess in a way I did. At least that's what it says above.
Earthwalker

Postby BBadger » Mon May 06, 2013 4:46 pm

The conduit sizes aren't really about material weight like a building where you'd use larger blocks for the foundation and then tapering upwards. The size of the conduits is dependent on wind and weight loads, and these are dependent on the size of your dome, how it's connected up, and what or who will affect it. You'd probably be better served using all 1" conduit instead of that 1.5" and 3/4" conduit. The latter isn't all that great. Also read over the Geodesic Dome thread and see if it helps.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon May 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Wizard: what size and frequency dome are you building?
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby some seeing eye » Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Mr Badger is correct, the geodesic principle is distributing forces more evenly across structural members. So varying thicknesses will have varying stiffness. If it is over engineered, would work, but without a structural analysis all bets are off.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Token » Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 pm

some seeing eye wrote:... So varying thicknesses will have varying stiffness...

If you incorporate the word erect or erection, this whole thread would be complete.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby TheRedWizard » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Im building a 3v dome about 8' radius.. its gonna be the 5/8 variety. Im in canada so conduit is very expensive, but i found a screaming deal on 60 10' lengths so Im going ahead with it all in 3/4". Thanks for the input!
TheRedWizard

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Earthwalker » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Token wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:... So varying thicknesses will have varying stiffness...

If you incorporate the word erect or erection, this whole thread would be complete.

At work the other day this lady sent us all an email saying:

"Hey everyone, check out the erection on this gantry crane. It really was a sight to behold! Here are some pics"

Softball lobbed, but earthwalker couldn't take the easy hit b/c of work email. Damn
Earthwalker

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed May 08, 2013 5:37 am

A 3V 5/8 dome at 16 feet in diameter will work pretty well in 3/4 inch as long as the winds are not insane. Covered in aluminet or something similar it would work really well in a wind. But you may want to make any solid covering capable of being removed quickly if winds exceed about 50 mph. The first row of triangles are basically vertical, so they can seriously tangle with the wind. 5/8 domes also have a pretty good lifting effect for the same reason.

Note that a 3V dome (just like any odd-freq dome) doesnt have a perfectly flat base. This means it will not distribute loads as well as an even-freq dome. But at 16 feet on a soft playa surface, it shouldnt much matter. Just plan on over-staking it and it should be fine. There have been some good discussions on the subject of staking that you might want to Google.

You will be in good company with this design. Take spares and have fun.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gibson_ » Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 am

People are dancing around this.

Yes, I see no reason that you can't use different widths of struts.

Also, my 2V 8' held up just fine at the last burn, and has been to a couple of regionals with some pretty high winds too.

Give yourself a LOT more time than you think (like...give yourself a full month) to sew the cover. The cover is definitely the hardest part.

My dome has a different piece of cover for each of the sections, and they all bolt to the outside (we put grommets in it). This is good because it blocks light (we used blackout cloth), but allows wind through.

It's a lot cooler in there during the day than it is outside.
gibson_

Postby gibson_ » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am

If I can add: it's really tempting to use a parachute. DO NOT USE A PARACHUTE!

They are the exact opposite of what you want on the playa. They allow lots of light (meaning heat) through, and catch ALL of the wind (that's what they're designed for...catching air).

They're cheap, and I have one too...but they're the worst covers ever.
gibson_

Return to Shelter & Camping